A Dummies Guide to creating a track in RF2 with 3dsMax

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by djbob, May 11, 2015.

1. djbob

djbob Registered

I am trying to make a single post which will help dummies like me get a track into RF2 from 3dsMax. There is a lot of help on the forums but it is so spread out it takes days to collate it, and try to order it in the right sequence - and still I am stuck near the beginning! So hopefully if I document here what I have done, someone might be able to help, and as I succeed at each stage I will add more information to this post for others, so your help would be much appreciated.

Software Setup:

1. Install RF2 (presumably most already have this installed!)

2. Install 'rFactor2 SDK (Dev Mode)' from here : http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/ - you install this 'over' your normal RF2 directory (i.e. choose same installation path as your RF2 installation).

3. Install 3dsMax 32bit 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 (newer versions and 64bit versions do not work with the ISI tools).

4. Install RF2 GMT Convertor Tool - see Freew67 video from 52secs to 1m22secs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klLNai_ZNE

5. Setup Max to use Metric Units - Freew67 video here : 2m55secs to 4m55secs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klLNai_ZNE

Track Setup:

6. These steps are copied and edited from Fabio's post here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/8160-Bare-minimum-to-get-track-into-rf2

6.a. Duplicate the Joesville folder inside ModDev/Locations and rename it the way you want (avoid white spaces, use underscore instead).
    6.b. Rename Joesville_Speedway.tdf as desired and do the same on the folder with the same name.
    6.c. Open the folder that you renamed in last step and delete all files but the .GDB and .SCN ones. Rename them the same way you did on previous item.
    6.d. Open the .GDB file (I suggest you to use Notepad++). Change the first line of the code with the name you used on the file. Adjust the other values as you want and make sure you change the name of the TerrainDataFile accordingly (line 15).
    6.e. Open the .SCN file (also in Notepad). Modify the SearchPath names to match the name you gave to the folders before.
    6.f. Duplicate the line SearchPath={YOURTRACK}\ASSETS\MAPS and rename the copy as SearchPath={YOURTRACK}\ASSETS\JOESVILLE_MAPS. This will avoid some texture mismatches for now.
    6.g. Remove the lines starting with //MASFile. Leave only the one that says MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS
    6.h. Still in the .SCN file, remove all the lights inside the Lighting group.
    6.i. Still in the >SCN file, delete all the instances except for the XSectors (from Instance=lpole01 until the very end of the document).
    6.j. Go to Assets/GMT folder. Delete all the GMTs but the XSectors (i.e. 5 files starting with x are not deleted).
    6.kj. Duplicate the Assets/Maps folder and rename it to Joesville_Maps. Then delete all the files inside the original the folder that remains called 'Maps'.
    6.l. Delete JoesvilleIcon.dds (optional)

Create simple plane in 3DsMax to test exporting to RF2 ModDev Scene Viewer :

7. Go to the Hammer tab (Utilities) in 3dsMax and click on GMT Converter (we installed this earlier at step 5) and set the two file paths in 'GMT Output' (mesh directory' and 'scene file output'). 'Mesh directory' should point to your track's Assets/GMT folder (we saw this in step 6.j.). 'Scene file output' should point to your .scn file (we saw this file in step 6.c. and 6.e.). Also, tick the 'Quick Scene' box.
    8. Further down the GMT converter options there is a 'Scene File Output' box - for 'Current Scene File' choose the folder that your .SCN file is in (the one we used in step 6.c. and 6.e.)
    9. Create a simple plane in 3dsMax, right-click and convert to Editable Poly. Then follow this video by Drathuu to apply material and export your simple Plane ('Do Mesh'): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4yvp_fnrqk
    10. Then, scroll down the 'GMT Converter' options in max and find 'Do Scene' - click this to export the Scene file.
    11. Locate 'Viewer.exe' in your RFactor2/ModDev directory and open this program.
    12. Choose your scene directory that you just exported (step 10) then hit OK to load scene in the Viewer.

You should see your plane object with whichever texture you applied in max. Use the mouse and arrow keys to move around, 'w' toggles information, 'a' and 'z' moves up and down.

Creating a simple track and loading it in Dev Mode:

To be continued.....

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  2. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

A quick link below.. Make sure material is multi sub.. make sure the sub material is a gmotor material.. (all of them are).. i just set 1 material.
    When you put it on the object make sure you drag the MUTLI SUB material to the object,...(top right) - check video

Click do mesh and win..
    Mega link as i got sick of waiting for youtube to come up (4mb file)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!u9xmyaZJ!KIlGMTJ4k1OhFgPwcSj-br0CySWjcbRLGd9MzQD8Dbc

Video uploaded (4mb) but youtube in read only mode (should process soon and be available)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  3. djbob

djbob Registered

Thanks Drathuu, your help is much appreciated however I follow the same process but just get stuck after clicking Do Mesh (see attached image View attachment 16659 ). This is using an empty/clean max file, and just one simple plane (have tried converting it to an editable poly). The GMT Output is set to a local hard disk.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Don't use the latest plugins from build 946, reported as bugged, try from another build.

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Build 930 plugins should work normally.

6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Yes im still using old build plugins

7. djbob

djbob Registered

Ok thanks, maybe it is that... Where do I get the 930 plugins (are they in the 930 build or the 930 SDK? I can't find either on the site!)

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Correct, there are links to all older releases at ISI site, look closer :)

9. redapg

redapg Registered

For Max2010 i already did upload them. :)

Look HERE

If you need it for Max 2011 or 2012, tell me.

10. djbob

djbob Registered

That does seem to be the same problem others have reported :mad: - I need 2012 version of the 930 please.

WiZPER - I still can't find them anywhere on the site...

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Here are the Max 2011 and 2012 Versions:

12. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Hope it fixes it..

13. djbob

djbob Registered

That works now - will be able to add some more steps in now hopefully.

Boggles my mind that the community has to sort out these problems from old versions they happen to still have on their HDD, I suspect I may be asking for more help shortly... Thanks for all the help for now :).

14. djbob

djbob Registered

Hmm. Should I be able to view just a simple plane on it's own in the Scene Viewer ("gMotor 2 Error : Error loading mesh file PLANE001.GMT to memory")? Or do I need to setup Xsectors and things in the scene first?
    Thanks in advance :)

15. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yes you should.

"Error loading mesh file...." error usually points to incorrect filepath on scn - file and therefore viewer cannot find/load your plane. These paths should be pointing to the folders, where your textures, GMTs and animation files are. X-planes are not needed with viewer.

Double-check all filepaths on exporter, regenerate scn and try to load your plane again.

Cheers

16. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The default export of the scene has not file paths.. (Example Below of default export) - Hopefully you havent saved over your scene file you edited paths for before.
    More cut and paste contents into your edited scene..and the GMT's are put in the correct folder.

<Edit> i noted you were just scene viewing your plane.. if the gmt and scene file are in the same directory i assume it "MIGHT" work..but it also "MIGHT NOT" as there is no searchpath setup...

//// default max export scene file
    CUBEASF

//-------------------------------------------------------

View=mainview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(1.00, 1.00) Center=(0.5, 0.5)
    FOV=(77.75, 62.50)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 500.00)
    }

MaxShadowRange=(350.00)
    AmbientColor=(0, 0, 0)
    ReflectPlane=(0.000, -1.000, 0.000, 0.000)

Light=Direct00
    {
    Type=Directional Color=(220, 220, 220) Dir=(0.5, -0.9, 0.5)
    }

////Working scene file sample
    CUBEASF

SearchPath=.
    SearchPath=Wellington
    SearchPath=Wellington\ASSETS\GMT
    SearchPath=Wellington\ASSETS\MAPS

MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS

View=mainview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    FOV=(77.75, 35.00)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 1000.00)
    View=rearview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(0.200, 0.100) Center=(0.50, 0.01)
    FOV=(62.5, 62.5)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 150.00)
    }
    }

17. djbob

djbob Registered

Ok, progress with the filepaths I think - but now gives me "Error getting stats for texture BKA>BMPError loading texture BKA for material MATERIAL #36."
    Then "Error loading global material #36" also comes up twice before Viewer closes.

So I replaced the .scn file text with the text Drathuu listed above, the scene viewer now loads but is just black, I can't seem to do or see anything.

Here is my .scn file:

SearchPath=.
    SearchPath=Djtrack002
    SearchPath=Djtrack002\ASSETS\GMT
    SearchPath=Djtrack002\ASSETS\MAPS

MASFile=JoesVille_Speedway.mas ***COMMONMAPS.MAS didn't seem to work***

View=mainview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    FOV=(77.75, 35.00)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 1000.00)
    View=rearview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(0.200, 0.100) Center=(0.50, 0.01)
    FOV=(62.5, 62.5)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 150.00)
    }
    }

I also tried adding in these lines but made no difference:

MaxShadowRange=(350.00)
    AmbientColor=(0, 0, 0)
    ReflectPlane=(0.000, -1.000, 0.000, 0.000)

Light=Direct00
    {
    Type=Directional Color=(220, 220, 220) Dir=(0.5, -0.9, 0.5)
    }

So I tried again from the beginning of my steps, this time I get the Plane001.gmt error in the viewer again, and I have double checked all paths point to this new directory but can't for the life of me find the problem. I am starting to think I am not cut out for this track creation again :(
    The Plane001.gmt does load in 3DSimED3 by the way, if that means anything.

18. djbob

djbob Registered

Wow - something happened and it is now loading in the viewer.

The only thing I clicked I think was the second (lower) button in the GMT output, and also tried 'Quick Scene' : View attachment 16691

So I just need to work out what it was that made it work!

I checked my .scn file and now it read like this:

CUBEASF

SearchPath=D:\GAMES\RFACTOR2\MODDEV\LOCATIONS\DJTRACK003\ASSETS\GMT
    SearchPath=D:\GAMES\RFACTOR2\MODDEV\LOCATIONS\DJTRACK001\ASSETS\JOESVILLE_MAPS\

View=mainview
    {
    Clear=True
    Size=(1.0, 1.0) Center=(0.5, 0.5)
    FOV=(77.75, 62.50)
    ClipPlanes=(0.5, 250.0)
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    }

AmbientColor=(0, 0, 0)

Light=Direct00
    {
    Type=Directional
    Color=(220, 220, 220)
    Dir=(0.5, -0.9, 0.5)
    }

Instance=Plane001
    {
    MeshFile=Plane001.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }

19. djbob

djbob Registered

Ok, so I added a sphere to the scene - and same problem (error loading plane001.gmt). So I tried the 'Quick Scene' tick box in the GMT output and now it loads with the Sphere also. So must have been the 'Quick Scene' tick box.

It seems to me the 'Quick scene' is adding in these lines:

SearchPath=D:\GAMES\RFACTOR2\MODDEV\LOCATIONS\DJTR ACK003\ASSETS\GMT
    SearchPath=D:\GAMES\RFACTOR2\MODDEV\LOCATIONS\DJTR ACK001\ASSETS\JOESVILLE_MAPS\

Though I don't know why the second line refers to DJTRACK001 when I have tried to change all paths to DJTRACK003 ?

Anyway, progress at last - grateful for the help.

Next step I think is getting a very simple plane/track into Dev Mode...

20. Medison

Medison Registered

I think this is a small mistake in this tutorial: "6.c. Open the folder that you renamed in last step and delete all files but the .GDB and .SCN ones..."
    Because in this folder there is a file "swheel_trackmap.dds" which is a texture for "xsector" and the game crashes without it.
    So you need to leave this file (or another texture with the same name) in the folder or give another existing texture for "xsector".