_CommonRedist locked, can't take ownership

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by futemaka, Jan 27, 2017.

1. futemaka

futemaka Registered

I hate Steam, it makes simple things complicated.

So this time it really messed things up, first install of rFactor2 did not work, I did uninstall and attempted again, this time it created _CommonRedist folder and somehow managed to lock it up so well that can't even change ownership of that folder, (yes, I'm administrator and have full control over the folder according to advanced security settings). Steam installer is also locked out from folder, can't access it.

I can't delete the folder or change it in any way, all I get is "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

Yes, I have attempted with disabled Antivirus, no change.

I want that folder gone from my computer, shooting with shotgun might do it, but I would prefer everything else intact :)

I don't see any need for installer to even attempt to install vcredist, user can install that himself if needed, I have visual studio and all of those packages I need and want, I don't prefer to have every software to attempt installing their own, but I guess it is how things are these days.

Another thing, if I uninstall rFactor 2 from steam, it does not uninstall it really, it leaves over 4GB of this non working software which I can't delete as access is denied, I'm administrator, folders are in my ownership, but I can't do anything to them, that is insane!

So what is needed to get rid of this bugged out installation from my drive?

Even TDU beta was better, it just removed everything from root of C:\ when uninstalling, meh.

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

How did you uninstall?
    Edit: I see you tried through Steam

It sounds like you might need to repair windows permissions for your user.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. futemaka

futemaka Registered

User is Administrator, rFactor 2 install folder is only one with the issue, I could of course try with other Administrator user, if there is issue with current user, that should help?

What I have read is that vcredist installer has done similar to some other cases, but changing ownership of folder has helped on those cases, in my case access is denied when trying to change or reset owner of folder.

4. futemaka

futemaka Registered

I made installation of rFactor2 to another drive and I get same issue as with 1st install, menu is tiny truncated item at top left and only way to close is to kill task. I have even changed graphics card after 1st install and no change.

I guess if I uninstall, I get again folders that I can't remove.

Testing with other user was not successful, same problem, no permission to remove folder.

For last year rFactor 2 is only software hiccup with this computer, everything works flawlessly and I'm amazed how stable and fast computer runs every day, rFactor 2 is only issue, whatever the reason is.

Attached Files:

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

futemaka likes this.
  6. futemaka

futemaka Registered

Thanks, that made rF2 to work.

Oh and OUCH, issue with basic globalization, well bugs happen, sometimes they can be bit embrassing, how they respond and fix them is of course more important, hopefully they can improve what they have now (which they most likely inherited from ISI).

Now only thing I need to find out is how on earth I can get those few folders deleted.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@futemaka Was your decimal symbol set to something custom, rather than the default for your locale? The fact they fixed this at some point during rF2 development, but this still happens with custom decimal symbols, suggests it's not that easy to detect through code. I don't really know though.

Regions that use , by default should work fine; it's when the regional settings are . but the user selects , that the problem happens. At least according to the linked threads; if that wasn't the case for you they'd probably like to know.

8. futemaka

futemaka Registered

Yes, I have to use different decimal separator, but I haven't had issue with that with my own code, or with any other software, I guess rFactor does something differently than what is typical in there.