6 Hours of Mid-Ohio, Driver Swap Teams Event

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That was a great race. I was impressed with the driving considering the number of people that are new to endurance. We didn't do as well as we hopped but we finished and had fun.

The only thing I saw on track that could be improved was the way GTs were yielding. Some were trying to let us pass in areas that were really tight and caused both of us to loose more time. GTs shouldn't feel bad about holding us up. It is all part of endurance racing. We will find our way past safely. The only places that are really safe to yield are on straights or into braking zones. The way the mod is right now the P1 isn't even that much faster through turns. So if you just run your normal line/pace it will not hold us up much and when we get to a straight we will get past. Mid Ohio is always a hard track to do multi class racing on. The start finish straight isn't long enough to get past on. The straight leading to T2 is tricky because you just barely get past in to to pull back on line to brake. It wouldn't be as bad if P1s could carry a more realistic speed through T1. So the only real place to pass is the really long straight.

I need to look at the replay because I know I had a coming together with a car I was unlapping. I am not sure exactly what happened but basically I thought I was completely clear and started to turn left and then got hit. I also spun once early in my first stint and got collected by a GT. Sorry to who ever that was that tboned me. You had no were to go really.

Look forward to the next race!

Thanks to SimHQ! This should be a fun series.

2. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Good fun out there in the dark, even in a car I'm no longer used to thanks to the updates made... lol...

Had a good battle with Lemming until we got too close too each other heading into T4 under braking and we both went off into the gravel... After my next stop I came out right behind him and the battle began again until he made his final stop...

The darkness in rF2 is just so much more fun than it is in rF1...

This sim is really starting to shine it's potential...

3. guod

guod Registered

It was a big day for blue cars!

Congratulations to CR Team Racing for winning LMP1 class! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congratulations to Swedish Sim Racers for winning the GT2 class! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thanks to everyone who could participate in today's race!

Here are the replays and xml results (160MB):
    http://simhqmotorsports.com/downloads/motorsports/rfactor2/2013_SCES/Six-Hours-of-Mid-Ohio.zip

A fun bit of trivia! There were a total of 56 driver swaps in the race among the 4 LMP1s and the 5 GT2s.
    Not one disconnect and everyone crossed the finish line. But there were a lot of duct taped cars by the end
    of six hours!

4. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Looks like you guys had good fun :) I took the opportunity to use your xml files as another (big file) test for simresults (http://simresults.net/130610-rz8). Hope you don't mind!

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Quite a big file :) It looks like you have uploaded wrong qualification file (gap shows -). Couldn't load race gaps or positions (at least with this pc).

6. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Gaps is a bug due to performance improvements, oops. Fixed soon. Gaps and positions work fine here on Google Chrome. Anyway, I don't wanna hijack this thread. Any more issues can be reported here.

If I need to remove the log, just poke me.

7. JMCardenas

JMCardenas Registered

Excellent race Congratulations to all riders. Congratulations to the champions in both categories.

No error in the driver changes. They function the recommendations given. We hope that ISI knows solve the problem of initial pilot.

Working properly teams skins. It should follow the recommendations given.

The signaling of the box does not work after the first stop. Requires ISI solution.

Serious problem in the race. At the second stop, when we did the first driver change, be modified gearshift developments. We know that there were more cases. In our team we had three drivers used the same setup to setup the default race like. Ruined us the race partly because we could not use the sixth gear, and we had to shoot in shorter gears which tore our tires.

This caused a last sitng survival, which prevented us from fighting for second place in the category. Would have been nice.

We did not like the rule that prevents all team members are in the race. It causes more harm than it is coming and going. Furthermore there is no alternative to follow the evolution of the races. We asked rule be reconsidered in future events. It is not acceptable to spend hours staring at nothing after organizing a race.

8. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I guess I was the only one to run without aids. I am not used to servers that allow aids, I didn't even think to turn them on until I was already on track and one of the guys asked me about it. Oh well.

56 successful swaps! Good to hear. :)

10. JMCardenas

JMCardenas Registered

Unaware that forum. Thanks for the information. We happened exactly the same thing.

We will test looking for the default setup of the game to replace the team.

Also assign this as the default setup. Informed of the result.

Another problem suffered. In view from the cockpit the front windshield turned opaque when he illuminated the lights of another car that rolled back.

We had not trained at night.

11. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

For the SCES mod, we will change the corvette wind shield so that doesn't happen. We totally forgot about it this race.

12. CoNa

CoNa Registered

For endurance, it does make sense to have these aids on low, as it allows for longer stints. Without it 30 min stints was all that could be done safely. Now 45 to nearly 60 min can be done. Fixing the tyre wear that is way off is of course also needed.
    It also makes sense since it is actually used IRL on endurance racing.
    But it took some laps to find how to use it optimaly as you can drive more aggresivly without cooking the tyres.
    It would be nice to be able to dial traction and abs on the fly (percentage, not off-low-medium-high), which is very good for changing weather. R3E has made it possible to set your own preferences which is good.

Edit:LOL just realized when looking at the stats, that I drove without TC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am not saying the aids shouldn't be allowed, just that I never even thought to enable them. I have unmapped all the aids from my keyboard because I got sick of hitting them by accident and then wondering why the car suddenly felt different just to find out days later that I turned on some random aid.

14. CoNa

CoNa Registered

yes, I fully understand you. :D
    I did just that my self as you can see.

15. oqvist

oqvist Registered

I watched the replay but it seems a bit bugged. Forgie got our SSR skin and we ran default skin. Also you can´t see which driver that runs so there is some work for ISI here :).

16. guod

guod Registered

Thank you for posting it! ;)

17. guod

guod Registered

Yep, skins don't always behave in replays of Build 218. Hopefully 228 will improve.

18. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

That's weird because when I watched the replay Doug posted, My #35 car showed up with its proper skin but the other corvettes were default.

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The drivers did great in the race. I hope we can meet for more races like this but with a better group to host. SimHQ offered to "host" but really wanted to commandeer this race to use it as a pre-season race for the series they have coming up. I apologize, everyone. I didn't mean for that to happen. I did accept the offer for them to host and that was my fault. If I had vetted them out better, we would have had better orgnization, a better car (the Pescarolo physics was hacked together) and this would have been a truly open race with a LOT more cars. We could have done a lot more with this race, but SimHQ has a lot of confusing rules which I tried to over ride, but they did not listen to the guy who organized this event. If the race had been held right after the 1 hour race, we would have had more cars. I was ignored when I suggested this.

I really wanted to test what rF2 could do- that was the original purpose of what was supposed to be a fun race. Unfortunately, SimHQ has a tiny user base, and they waited so long to hold the race (against my wishes) we lost a lot of drivers and ended up with a small grid. I'm not sure anyone wanted 2 or 3 races at the exact same circuit either- that's common sense. If I had my way (and as a host- they should have just provided the hosting and that's it) we would have had a lot more drivers. The hacked Pescarolo physics ruined that car as well. I told them I wanted either stock Pescarolo physics (at least it was balanced) or to use Corvette & 370Z or 370Z and Ferrari that PetraGTZ is working on. I was assured that they knew how to fix the Pescarolo and I was appalled when I had already committed to the P1 car and they rolled out what we ended up with after. I was also told that they could work to fix the tires. They didn't. The Pescarolo tires (PZ01 and PZ02) were exactly the same as it turns out... they just had different initial temperatures.

Anyway, we will be holding another public race like this with a better car (I have a friend who knows what he's doing with physics, not guessing and hacking) to work with and do this again. SimHQ did provide an excellent server and a good TS server as well, but we will do even better for the next race. The rules will be more clear, the race start will not be a mess like this one was (we were released at the wrong spot) and it will be a lot more fun. With so few cars this one did get boring at times.

Thank you SimHQ for the server. Thank you drivers who showed up, for your patience. The feedback we have provided for ISI will make it into future builds and will help to make rF2 a better game! In that way, it was a success.

20. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.