4x Better Graphics and way more FPS Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Bart S, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

579 from EVGA themselves. Depending on when the ti's come out I'll be making a call to them guys for sure. You can count on that!
    Problem is if it's only the reference 780's dropping to 500 I don't know how much of that discount will apply to EVGA or MSI cards.

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Man, just wanted to say thanks as you done something I was too lazy to do. With my GTX670 (not OC) and Core I7 3570K (OC 4.4) I followed exactly your settings in NVidia Inspector which I never used before tonight. Previously, read from day 1, I was using AA Level 4 and FXAA ON and it was OK mainly because I didn't know I could have something better for the same amount of FPS. To test your settings I used car on pit at Lime Rock, as we immediately have 2 white diagonals lines in the ground in front of the car (car not displayed, cockpit with full view) and so I was able to see effect on those jagged lines in front of me. With my default settings FXAA ON and AA Level 4 (which mean something I ignore) I had 87 fps when the guy stopped to move his arms; those 2 lines was far from perfect (read: with regular "holes") and a blurry screen due to FXAA. With your settings I have now 88 fps (so a little more), and the whole picture is a lot improved, jagged lines are no more jagged (nearly perfect), and the picture is more crisp, with less AA problem.

Very Good ! :)

Now I activated again my Adaptive Vsync from Nvidia Control panel (settings tripple buffer ON) and that's all folk, I'm an happy user, discovering rF2 like I never saw it before! And I encourage all lazy guys like me to try your great tutorial as it's easy to follow and understand!

Thanks again! :)

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Thanks guys all your comments are well appreciated and the guide is upto date. I changed my Antialiasing Mode to Application Controlled because I seem to be lacking fps with 3D in new build so I have lost Sparse Grid Supersampling. I would recommend you to try Antialiasing Mode to Enhance Application set AA in game put Antialiasing Settings to application the Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling to x2 or x4. You may gain some fps its worth a try.

4. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

For those of us not doing 3D but are triple screen what did you sacrifice that we could bump up some? In other words your guide is probably geared to 3D triple screeners so theirs probably some sacrifice for sake of 3D right that those of us who aren't going 3D don't need to use, right?

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

If you want to bump something up and have everything maxed in rF2 like reflections, shadows, textures already the only thing I could suggest is try x4 Sparse Grid Supersampling.
    My 780 could run x4 SGSS without 3D but some tracks it was difficult. I'm not sure how triple screen performance compares to 3D I imagine the hit is the same if you have multiview and HDR enabled so you would be floating around the same settings as me.

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Ahh, ok. For some reason I was under the impression that you were doing triple screen and 3D.

7. Bart S

Bart S Member

sheesh mohican we would need serious graphic horsepower for that if we was to have hdr, triples, 1080p, multiview, 3d, sparse grid supersampling, max details, max textures, max reflections, max shadows and smoothing thats going to take a GTX980 or more.

8. hoover

hoover Registered

Hey Bart,

I tried your suggestions from post #1 yesterday and did not notice much of a difference either in visual quality nor in fps (just wanted to let you know as you requested feedback after following your suggestions). Then again I did not have major fps issues to begin with, already running shadows on high and having turned off reflections.

All the best & thanks for your advice,

Uwe

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hi Uwe,
    The difference should be very noticable, especially while in motion with the aliasing of the white road lines to the horizon, other areas such as telegraph poles, line etc. It occurs most apparent when hard edges are a fraction out from being vertical or horizontal and contrasting colours, the result is a shimmering or marching ant effect. ISI have done a great job with the new build but they still havn't removed the aliasing in these areas, I don't see why they can't especially when the cars have no noticable aliasing so I'm still looking forward to what they can bring in the future.

Out of interest what resolution are you running and FOV. I'm wondering if you have missed a setting to not be able to visually see a difference.

10. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi Bart,

I'm running at 1920x1080 with a variable FOV (usually between 50-60 something, depending on the car). The one thing I noticed visually was the power lines over Le Mans looking "more" jaggy, so I'll try some of the historics tracks and report back.

Thanks for your reply!

Uwe

11. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I just got the GTX 780 Classified but ..

Ok guys I give up. Got the card today and been having nothing but frustration.
    I installed it and it worked fine for about 30 minutes. I played one game of rfactor2, left the replay running for a little, quit the game and went to relaunch it and screen went black and my system restarted. Ever since the restart it just goes into the default resolution and it just doesn't work.

Device Manager sees the card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (doesn't see classified, don't know if it's supposed to or not)
    But it has an error: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I tried 331.65-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql and the latest beta
    I tried the software that came on the CD
    I tried letting windows update it. Tried everything I can think of and still with the same error.

Help me guys. Don't know what to do at this point but re-install Windows 7. Not really trying to do that unless I really have to.

I assume I removed all AMD stuff as I had a crossfire setup before.

12. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi Marvin,

this looks like a fried / wonky gpu to me, especially considering the fact it worked for 30 minutes and then died a horrible death.

Cheers, Uwe

13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I was thinking the same thing too but what puzzles me is it still works through the ports only at default res and it seems to be working as far as lights and fans. I don't know what's going on. At this point I'm going to try a reinstall of the OS in the morning.

14. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

A BIG "thanks" from me as well. Loch Drummond was undriveable at first, after applying your method I'm able to get very good frame rates without destroying the landscape or driving experience. :)

Still having trouble just getting Silverstone to load but I'm not giving up just yet! ;)

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

First thing I would do before wiping my system and starting fresh is:

1). remove the card reseat in the first slot, make sure its set to x16 in bios

2). connect only 1 monitor up through HDMI test the try DVI-I, test each monitor and cable connection 1 by 1.

3). if you have an active adapter due to eyefinity this could be your problem I dont think you need this for nVidia altho mine works fine.

4). remove your old drivers using these two guides below

remove nVidia or like this remove AMD / ATI

do not use any driver sweeps, eventually you will corrupt your registry, I have been there done that.

As those two sources are getting old things may have jiggle about abit but the principle of searching and finding is the same.
    Do not remove anything you arnt sure of in the registry, there are things like AMD labels references that need to be there.

5). Reinstall new WHQL nV drivers and perform fresh install.

You may have fried one of the port connections, or you have a loose connection.

Is this only an rFactor related problem or does it happen with any other apps, Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) sounds mainly like a driver issue so hopefully the above will help, you should right click the device in device manager and troubleshoot it it may help.

16. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Another bit of info I might have forgot to mention with my problem. When I start my computer normally when I get to the bios post screen (or whatever it's called technically) it only stays up a brief second, we all know this I believe as you have to be fast with the fingers in order to select those options. My screen looks something like this one but not exactly:

[​IMG]

But when I had the Classified installed that screen would stay up a LONG time. I mean well over a minute. Is that the same for you guys?

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It still could be a driver problem, cause that screen that stays on a LONG time is of course an ad for you to look at while some of the boot process is going on. Probably the LONG period is because its trying to figure out what to do with your video card (since maybe it can't find what it needs in the cards driver files.)

18. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Well I got the replacement card today. Cleaned out the old AMD stuff and the drivers see the card and it works. HOORAY, RIGHT?!?!
    WRONG, the fans are not spinning up for some reason. I don't know if the fans are supposed to spin up at power up like my old cards or not but they don't spin up. The other card fan's spun up on power up so I'm assuming these are supposed to do the same but nope. I'm trying to NOT have the computer on for a long period but I need to download some stuff, like precision X , so I can see what the card is doing.

19. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

UPDATE: Come to find out the fan was NOT connected. It was pretty much just jammed in there and looked connected as it was pressed up against the circuit board. I didn't need to swap fans after all but I did have to remove the whole cooler assembly. Fans are working correctly now. I jumped them up to 100 percent to see if I could hear them and they passed muster. So now I can at least get to enjoy the card. I gotta admit though this whole thing has taken alot of the :D out of me for sure. I'm gonna have to put a word in with EVGA and voice some displeasure from this whole ordeal. A broken card first then another one that needed an "assembly required" sticker on it. Not a good track record for trying to win a customer over to the green team. I was seeing red and not AMD if you know what I mean :mad:

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Are these in order from best to worst (or vice versa)?