[494] Confused with creating vmods [file names]

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Denstjiro, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay I see what your saying. Updates don't work with the Get missing components feature so I don't bother with them. If everything is busted up more, even if it's just optional, the individual component size could go way down. Then you wouldn't need updates. You could just redownload the whole component all over again via GetMod.

I am not really sure what you are trying to say here:
    You don't need to wait for components to be in the system.... it is you that puts it in the system yourself. You can host the components on your own servers if you want. So download speed is dependent on your web host. You say you're using updated ISI content and then applying updates... That is fine. You can repack their content and replace their GetMod URL with your own and then the ISI content will download from your own web host rather than ISI's servers. Repacking the component will not change the Submit ID as long as the component name, version number and MAS files don't get changed. If all you change is the GetMod URL then the Submit ID stays the same. So if someone already has the ISI content (directly from ISI) it will still be compatible and will not be downloaded again and be duplicated.

I need to do some better documentation on GetMod because there is too much confusion and people thinking it is broken or flawed when it isn't. All of these issues have been discussed over and over. The problem is it is spread all over the forum and not in one place.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I didnt know this last part. I'll read carefully and try to implement it for the race next week. However, one question? How can I prevent from anybody who knows the password to download required content. In our league we are using private converted tracks that we do not want to be downloaded unless you sign on the championship. I know we are not the only ones doing so.
    In our web we manage it via permissions. Can it be done with the automatic download utility?

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If someone has the password then they would be able to get the components. But that is an interesting problem that could probably be solved. I could probably implement a system where people have to go to a web page and login which would then put their IP in a list of authenticated users for a 1 hour period or something like that. Then they could go back into rf2 and join. But at that point you might as well do what your already doing. It would be cool if rF2 could do some sort of GetMod auth of its own and store a cookie. How are you protecting the components right now? Are they Dropbox links on your forum? If so what is really preventing someone from passing those out to friends. It sucks but there seems to never be a full proof way to prevent people from sharing a mod.

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

We upload content to the server. Download links can only be seen by authorized people. Our league admin sets the permissions.
    After that no further security. We cannot prevent this reduced number of people from uploading content somewhere else and passing it to someone else or publishing it in another forum. I dont know any effective to prevent that. I dont know either how modders publishing paid content are preventing it.

enviado mediante tapatalk

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Here is the thread I was talking about. Updates are great for leagues. I wonder why people are not using them so much. At least that is the impression I have.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-system-when-using-updates-in-multicomponents

However, with the last updated of mod manager coming with Build 494 (and 515) vmods with updated content (refrenced or included don't work and get previously installed content corrupt. :(
    The good thing is that updates can be uninstalled without uninstalling the original component which was corrrupting the original multicomponent in the case of vehicle updates :). It would also damage other mods referencing the original vehicle if I don't remember wrong.

What I don't like from actual system is that when you update a component it should get duplicated at that moment since actually both the original and updated versions are installed. So in terms of how it is displayed, I think that the correct way is actually what is shown in modmanager version v after installing the vmods that make content corrupt. This format accurately represents what is really installed. It also would allow to make more than one update of the same original content which now can only be correctly done with vmods containing the update (nice for testing purposes). Otherwise, the second update cannot be manually installed since it does not find the version to be updated any more. It would just show the same thing that mas2.exe does when creating a new mod. There, you can find all the versions actually installed.

I made a video in spanish to try to explain all these tricks that can be very confusing for novice people in our league since we are using updates as I said. Even if you don't understand what I am saying, if you pay attention of what I do you, will perceive all these small misfunctionalities.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I have to correct myself, I just selected all vmods on our server, pressed uninstall, did the same again and pressed delete. presto!