-- 3dsMax Questions & Answers --

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SmokinJo65, Jan 21, 2012.

1. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Yes helped a ton, took me awhile to actually get it to work though because once again I was watching your video and following everything to a tee but I couldn't get the results you were getting because of some issue I think. What was going on was once I clicked on the vertex and selected the cut tool I could ONLY select the outside vertex's on the track and could not for the life of me get it to select that second vertex you were starting from. I then rotated my view to just like yours and WALLA, for some reason I could now select the second inside vertex. I wonder if there is an issue? Maybe I could have done that other way as well if I would have rotated my view?

I thank you very much, I now hope I can do those other 3 without issue and THEN can I finally work on getting mesh inside my track and outside of it as well. :p

See now you guys know I have been following these tutorials but not getting the same results. It's not like I'm doing things wrong it's that it's just not cooperating with me and maybe I'll try that rotate the plot thing again if I do have issues.

I was in the beginning starting to make a video as well to show you what was going on and that I was not crazy :D but for some reason fraps was not capturing inside of Max to well, weird I usually have no problems capturing with that program.

If I seemed a bit moody today I'm sorry, it's just this darn thing was ticking me off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, I've had Max do that to me before, too. But usually closing the program and opening it up again fixes it. I actually thought about mentioning that earlier, but just assumed you'd rotated your view or was doing it from top view or something. Sorry...could have saved you a bit of aggravation...

For doing screen-captures of apps, I'd recommend something like CamStudio rather than FRAPS. I think it does a better job of capturing your whole desktop--FRAPS seems like it's designed more for high-motion videos where everything on screen is changing at 30+fps.

3. freew67

freew67 Registered

I also use CamStudio for my tutorials. It just has a 2gb limit per recording. Most of my tuts are 4-5 vids put together with Windows Live Movie Maker. You will learn max can be moody. Never fails, been working on something for a while and finally get it to work... then it crashes! lol Anyone who has worked in Max knows about that. Props for keep pluging along. Once you learn the basics, the rest of this is easy. :)

4. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Well wanted to work on second one and same issue prevented me and this time rotating didn't work nor did shutting down max. I guess I'll just keep trying and see if I can get it to work, wonder how many more days it will take to finish these last 3 off..lol

5. freew67

freew67 Registered

What view are you working in that this happens?

6. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Top but it doesn't matter what view I am in, some how I think my file has a bug in it because if I reset the scene and do what you did with 2 other planes I have no problems.

As much work and time I have put into this I am really not that far and would only take me another hour or two to get back to where I was and maybe I won't run into the problem. Maybe that is why I cannot for the life of me work in Max2010 because if I collapse all ONTO the editable mesh following that other video when he is about ready to use path deform it crashes, it worked once and then I did something and then I think Max crashed so I loaded up the recover file and since then I could collapse all or it would crash and I never had any problems when I brought it into Max12 but now I am running into this problem so I just have this sneaky suspicion that there is some issue with the file that is preventing this.

Oh well at least I can get farther much quicker now since I know most of it without looking at a video..lol

7. ethone

ethone Registered

Were you perhaps in border mode with your editable poly?

8. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Nope Vertex only..lol

9. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

View attachment 843

WTF...

How did this happen, I have just been following that small tutorial freew67 showed me and I only have 1 corner left to do on the second pit road but I checked it in perspective and this is what I seen and have no idea how it happened or how I can fix this without starting over again from my second save file. I could have sworn I had put every vertex just a hair past the main piece I was working on that was cloned. I should check that again in a bit to see if that is the cause, this track should be flat as a pancake!!

10. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Go to vertex submode and select all of the verts on the track that is too low. Select 'select and move' tool, switch on Z axis constraint and switch on 'snap uses axis constraints'. turn on snap and grab a selected vert near the join and snap it to a vert on the main track near the join. (you might have to right click on the snap toggle button and select verts in the 'what to snap to' options).

Attached Files:

11. ethone

ethone Registered

Hm, looks more like the spline you lofted the secondary segment from wasn't attached properly to the main track's spline but was far lower. On the left everything looks fine and it seems your secondary segment gradually comes lower.

12. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Thanks for that, I believe I have it fixed now. Not sure how it happened but at least I know how to fix it now if it happens again. I had to actually select the main tracks verts and bring that down because if I selected the track verts where it looked like it was loser that would be fine but then other parts of the track would be lower so it was indeed the main track that was higher then the others and had to be brought down. Yeah this track is pretty much flat or barely anything for elevation except the first turn where there is probably a 10 degree bank to about where the club track meets.

Thanks again as you saved me a bunch of time. :D