3DSMax 2021 Converter and Shader

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by redapg, Jul 28, 2021.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

@Marcel Offermans and @Paul Jeffrey There are 2 Things that i would like to have "fixed".

1. In the ..\Support\Tools\Plugins\Max 2021 Folder, we have 2 Subfolders, where one of them Contains Beta Files.
    But the Beta Files are from 12/2020, while the "Default" Files are from 5/2021.
    That makes no Sense at all, because Beta normally are expected to be newer.

2. In the 3DSMax Material List some Shaders are listed 2 or more Times, like the IBL Road and IBL Curb.
    That is not useful, because i and i guess others too, always have to ask myself what the Difference is and if i select the correct one.
    As i remember it right, the listed Names are from the Content of the File and are not the File Names.
    So it is possible that 2 Shaders with the same listed Name have different Properties.

ShaderListeDoppelte.jpg

Garitt Gibsn likes this.
  2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

The dates maybe different if you changed build branches, I don't think you can trust by the date modified as that's just the last time steam changed it often right?
    Also I think I just copied the last working files in manually, so it may well be they were modified after.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

I don't know the Internals of course, but i suppose that it works like this:
    The Game Files are stored on a Steam (i guess) Server and that are also the ones that Steam compares with the installed ones, when you do a File Integrety Check, for Example.
    And if a File is corrupted or was modified, it gets replaced by Steam.
    And when the Game is updated, the same Thing happens.
    So, if a File is from 12/2020, it for me means, that it was the last Time that i got it downloaded back then.
    And if it's from 05/2021, it's the same.
    So my Conclusion is: one File wasn't updated since around 12/2020 while the other one was updated around 5/2021.
    So in my Opinion, the Beta File from 12/2020 is obviously older than the Default from 5/2021.