3dsmax 2011 & Windows 10

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Drathuu, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

wondering if anyone else is having this problem - Windows 10 and 3dsmax 2011... Context menu issue

Everything worked fine in windows 7 - 3dsmax 2011 Version. Since installing Windows 10... i have had this problem -

3ds max context menu leaves ghost bitmaps (when you right click) but only after a bitmap is loaded to a material.
    I have tried changing d3d versions in max from 10 to 9 , and even software emulation for viewport updates. no fix.

I disabled all windows animated menus.. infact everything windows related to do with windows and menu animations, in the base OS. (Ie devices and settings , performance settings, windows animations unticked)

I am hoping later video card drivers fix it, as i cant seem to be able to find anything else to try.. (I suspect its a videocard/win 10 issue)

Does anyone else have any ideas in the interim.. or is anyone else having the same problem ?

Video of issue below - please ignore the LONG load time for max :)

2. tjc

tjc Registered

I`m afraid I have no answers for you Drathuu but I was wondering about W10 and max myself.

I heard that new OS`s and older versions of max have issues sometimes... I`ve not upgraded my sims/max rig yet but I do fear I may have problems with W10 and max 2014, if I do I`ll have to go back to W7 for the rig and just have W10 on the laptop.

Hope you find some kind of solution for your problem. :)

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Older Autodesk's products do not work on Windows 10 or even Window 8. Autodesk do not provide any patches to fix these issues. Their offical statement is that they do not support older products and recommend up upgrade latest version. As you know, we cannot use latest 3ds max because of the exporter.

If you are going to use 3ds max (2010, 2011 and 2012), stay on Win 7.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I don't even think Win7 supports it, has to be XP as I recall - and yeah it sucks MAJOR!

3dsmax 2012 works on Win7+ but older versions has this problem.

5. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  6. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Run all service packs for your version. Fixed it for me when I had that issue.

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Windows 7 for ever !!

8. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I just upgraded to Windows10 and am using Max2011 SP3. I'm having the issue as well. It's annoying, but luckily, everything that can be done with the RC menu can be done outside it as well. I use it a lot when converting to Poly objects (collapsing), so I'm having to change my ways. Hopefully, ISI will release some Max2016 plugins (64 bit, finally, so we can get some more stability with our scene files); the MCG stuff seems like it could have some really cool applications in track modding.

9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Autodesk license fees, for writing your own exporter to 3ds max, are astronomical...

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

What ? I thought scripting was open playground.

11. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Where did you get this information, please provide info.

There are armies of people commercially selling scripts for max, and that's what the exporter is, a script.

It would be the same in principle as making a model in max and then having to give Autodesk money to sell it, which would be ridiculous.

Not to mention that Autodesk are already winning because the sales of their max software would be more because people need that to use the exporter in the first place.

I'm not saying there might not be costs to put an exporter in your game which your selling, but astronomical doesn't make sense at all.

Without newer exporters from ISI, their product will ultimately suffer, because you cannot even legally buy versions of max that support their plugins anymore.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I believe ISI is working on moving away from need to use Max plugins and instead export to generic FBX format for editor. Basically the same way as Assetto Corsa is doing it.

13. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I had that problem for years with Max 2012 and W7 and W8 but now with W10 I installed SP1 and SP2 for Max and everything works very well.

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Maybe 'to' 3DS Max, but ISI are writing exporters 'from' 3DS Max--which, I believe is pretty much open game, as has been said.

15. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

How does that even help, we get gmt's from exporting from max, and what can we do with an fbx file, the only reason it works in AC is because they have an editor for the fbx files.

Seeing as ISI cant even update their plugins to later versions of Max, I won't hold my breath for them to make an editing package lol

16. Bink

Bink Registered

I was under the impression that the exporter is a plug-in, (rather than a script)..(?). It's the way that you have to load it that gave me that thought (compiled dll, dlu etc..)... unless it's a script that uses a plug-in.

[Scripts use maxScript language to interact with the Max api..... whereas plug-ins require a c++ compiler and max SDK to interact.]

Maybe the 'astronomical' bit is that you have to pay Autodesk to have them encrypt it for use with their software (only a guess). Last time I downloaded the sdk it was free (like maxScript).

ISI are probably reluctant to put money into changing something that already works. Did a job for a simulator company once that waited until they could no longer buy ISA bus cards for their pc driven system before they relented and switched to EISA bus standard... I had to write new system bus drivers for all their pc interface cards, and adapt their (phone book sized) c++ software to sync all the motion control hydraulics, smpte time-code, 3d projection, surround audio, and fx gags.

When I'm done writing aiw~thing, I'd be open to discussing writing export plug-ins for ISI using either maxScript or the plug-in sdk's C++.... so long as ISI provided the rF2 file formats, pc, os, compiler, and Max version(s). Must be cheaper to make encrypted maxScript code, or people like Mario would not be doing it for their track building applications. Maybe scripting would be a cheaper way of doing it for ISI. A script would be slower, but less expensive may be the overriding concern (?).

Re Max11 & win7: .... I'm using a 10 year old 8 core pc... Max11 .. Win7 .. GTX 285 card with absolutely no graphics problems in Max.

17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Check out this page: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-SDK-Programmer-Guide/index.html I see nothing about license fees for the SDK or compiling. AFAIK all you need to compile is the correct version of Visual Studio/Visual C++.

Not sure what that costs. I know there were free versions out there awhile back, but not sure if still, or if licensing is required for commercial use. If ISI uses VS 2008/C++ 9.0, we are only going to get support up to 2012 with Windows Vista/7. People asking for updated plugins might be asking for ISI to create a plugin for a Max release newer than what ISI uses in house.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And that is "in the works" for RF2, don't know about the timeline for that project though.

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

20. Butters

Butters Registered

I added buttons onto my UI which covered things I might use from that context box i.e. clone, object properties, hide selected etc. Just ducks when ya forget to use them and then end up with the ghosting so have to save, close and reopen 3ds max.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk