3DS Max 2012 32bit Issue - any gurus?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by RJames, Nov 12, 2014.

1. RJames

RJames Registered

Hi guys,

Having a little trouble with max not wanting to play ball. This is the 32bit 2012 variant.

When ever i'm working away it seems to get screen tearing of sorts, patches of the screen remain like a screenshot at that second and remain on screen until i close the program. This literally makes using it impossible as your unable to see whats going on under the stuck areas.

Has anyone come across such a issue before? It's the only program to do it, Max 2014 & 2015 64bit works flawlessly.

It's driving me insane as i can only work a little until it happens, shut down the program, restart and carry on. I've googled around and had no joy with results.

System is now windows 8.1 - however also happened on windows 8. Fully up to date all drivers.

Couple of screenshots:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/juo1jnlskdrfqch/Screenshot 2014-11-12 17.28.13.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd1jdwjpiivzl53/Screenshot 2014-11-12 17.28.36.png?dl=0

Also on a sidenote, please please ISI support your modders and release some updated plugins for newer versions of max. :)

2. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

I had exactly the same problem ages ago.... trouble is I can't remember what caused it or how I fixed it, not very helpful I know but I'll try and see if I can dig up the old posts I made about it.

3. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

4. RJames

RJames Registered

Aye it's a nightmare, and driving me insane and has hampered my efforts to try to build some content.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Are you using the Nitrous viewport or DirectX? (Customize->Preferences->Viewports (tab)->Display Drivers [Choose Driver... to switch])

Does hitting the '~' key help at all?

6. RJames

RJames Registered

I've tested on all viewport options.

Nitrous, Direct3D, OpenGL and Software with no resolution. (restarted between each change).

No the ~ key for me just changes that viewport to red and the button set lights up. However still no change with the frozen area.

Before it felt like it randomly happened however now i've found i can easily replicate. Simply using the line tool, create my track shape. Then select to verts for that line and choose bezier and straight away it happens. Possibly linked to the right mouse click.

Cheers.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Just an idea...did you try to use an older driver for you grafic card?
    And is there any other software running parallel to 3DSMax?
    And do you run 3DSMax in administrator-mode?

8. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Do not right click in your viewports... I found other ways to get what I want without right clicking... :(

9. RJames

RJames Registered

I've not tried rolling back gpu drivers, however i've had the problem now for quite some time. Only now do I have some free time on my hands and wanted to get stuck in and finish some cars & tracks i've slowly been working on. As i use the pc for a number of things this really is not a solution, i suspect its more of a windows compatibility issue of which only more and more people will start to suffer from.

Are you able to share how you would get to the right click options without right clicking, I just had a quick look and couldn't spot anything obvious to find the same options.

10. RJames

RJames Registered

Just been reading up further and seems this is becoming quite a common theme with the older variants of Max on windows 8 & 8.1.

Currently the oldest version of Max to be supported on 8 & 8.1 is Max 2013.

ISI with the situation of Windows 7 having now left the shelves, Windows 8.1 being the only new sold OS can we expect a plugins update to support versions of Max that are Autodesk supported with current OS versions?

11. mkilner

mkilner Registered

I am Trying to Get 3DS Max 2009 64Bit to work with the Plugins, but i get the NOT a Win32 Application Error, so does this mean they will Not support 64Bit at all?...i cannot face going back to using XP its so slow!....SIGH! :(

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The plugins are 32 bit only. As in you need 3dsMax 32 bit - your OS can be 64.

13. mkilner

mkilner Registered

ahh...ok good point!...hope the 32 bit max runs in Win 7 Pro 64 Bit then?..

14. RJames

RJames Registered

Yes 32bit applications run fine on 64bit Operating systems. :)