30 FPS After New Build Update

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Lmp900, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Lmp900

Lmp900 Registered

Hello all,

After updating to the newest build of RF2 I went from getting 90-110 FPS at most tracks with a 30 car field to between 30-50 FPS. I even turned all detail to low and got the same results. This same situation came up on a build a few months ago and it was solved by doing a clean install and reinstalling video drivers. I would like to avoid doing that this time as I have A LOT of downloaded content.

I have currently reinstalled GPU drivers which did not help. Motherboard drivers are good as well. Temps stay cool under load. Am I missing something here?

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING AM4
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3200
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Yes I know. Considering the GPU climate, I'll take it.
    Corsair RM750x
    Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Two things you may want to check first is if the antialiasing settings in the video setup screen have changed. This might cause a bigh hiccup in frames on that video car.

You may also consider clearing out the shaders and cbash folders.

3. Lmp900

Lmp900 Registered

Thanks for replying.

I did double check the antialiasing settings. They were fine. Where are those two folders that you mentioned?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

cbash and shaders. It is like a video cache that speeds up loading from the 2ND time forward that you load a track.(until you clear out those folders, then you start all over again)
    Here is a link to a very easy method of clearing those folders.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-simple-way-to-clear-shaders-and-cbash.55446/

5. Lmp900

Lmp900 Registered

I gave that a shot however there was not an improvement. I'm at a loss at this point.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

You are probably running out of GPU VRAM (970 only has 3.5 GB fast VRAM). If you load 30 GT3 cars and a large track you need more than that unless you start turning settings down.

7. Lmp900

Lmp900 Registered

I know I need more Vram. The thing is, the game worked flawlessly before the new build, most times running over 100 FPS on most anything I threw at it. The last race I ran was about three weeks ago at Indianapolis Road Course with 30 mixed LMP2 and GT3. I don't think the frames ever dropped below 90, even when I started mid pack. I just set up the same race this weekend to make sure I wasn't going crazy and I never got above 50 FPS, mostly in the 30s. I went and turned the circuit detail to low on everything, shadows off, and no AA. No improvement in frames. That makes no sense to me. Maybe my card is dying however temps are fine.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check VRAM usage, because when you exceed it performance will always tank. That wouldn't explain the 'why' of using more now in comparison to previously, but at least you'd know what you're dealing with.

*Also note that circuit detail won't always have a huge effect - it depends on how each circuit has implemented the detail levels. You may have more luck reducing opponent detail (which makes them use smaller textures, which will help with vram usage). There's some trick I don't quite remember that involves setting texture detail in the game and then overriding for the player car (if I remember correctly) in the player.JSON, but I'd start with confirming that you're using too much vram - then you can find the right level that keeps performance up with a certain track and number of AI.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  9. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I see that you are using an EVGA gpu card. Try installing this program, Precision X1 you can check vram usage, gpu temps, cpu temps and a lot of other things. May be of help. Very useful prog.
    https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/

10. Lmp900

Lmp900 Registered

Thanks for that. I am going to be doing some further testing in the coming days.