3 Monitors VS SuperFOV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NunoPinto, Oct 4, 2013.

1. osella

osella Registered

Sounds really good. I heard some people saying that sitting close to a large projected screen was more tiring than LCD/TV but I did think it made no sense. Watching a piece of cloth should be easier on eyes than actual light emitted from screen.

2. osella

osella Registered

OK The Benq W1070 is home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The aliasing IS really high even at 1080p, no matter how high/what kind of AA, but the overall immersion is worth it :p

Still I think I'll buy proper ceiling mount (right now for testing purposes it sits on cupboard behind me) and move it closer to decrease projected size. Now I project about 75", plan to lower it to about 60", that should give much nicer image as I sit so close.

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

In order to fix the aliasing you will first need to render out your games at the size of that screen... which is huge, and second you will need to turn on sparse grid supersampling.. which is very costly. 1080 is the size of your old monitor against that new screen... so you'll need like six tims the resolution of 1080 to get it to look good at that distance... if you can get a beefy enough graphics card setup it will look amazing, still I wouldn't mind having a screen like that running at 1080 in my house. :) very cool.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

This may sound like a silly question, but with a 1080 projector, how would you change the display to something much larger?

5. osella

osella Registered

Res can't be higher than 1080p, I think he just meant that it will be huge screen..
    I believe on LCD monitors (at least under 50") 1080p is the highest res ever needed for gaming but with projectors you really wish we already had reasonably priced 4K machines (3840x2160)... currently the cheapest (and maybe the only) "consumer" 4K projector is Sony VPL-VW1000ES costing 25 000$ lol... imaging playing rf at that screen gives me goosebumps though. For the next 5-10 years we'll be stuck with 1080p though, not a huge deal, I'm sure if I lower the screen size a bit it will be fine

6. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

When you have phones with resolutions higher than monitors, it really does take the piss :/

They could easily make these screens, they just choose to stagnate the market to maximise their profits for the foreseeable future. It's quite sad really :(

But yer the "best" kind of anti-aliasing would be 16*supersampling, but then with that you are basically rendering at 4 times your actual resolution and downsampling, so there is no way your computer will actually handle that! Maybe for older games but even then probably not? You can try hahah.

7. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

the pictures are tiny....

8. osella

osella Registered

SMOK3Y I made them links, click on them

BTW the contrast, black levels and grey levels are really good, those photos don't do the actual quality justice, it's not overly bright or anything even on default settings

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

God that view is horrible. I don't understand these people that are so hardcore about their monitors, FOV, cockpit, etc and than they ruin everything by having a downward looking view that is way too high up. That view looks like his butt is sitting on top of the body work and than he is looking down towards the steering real. Awful. Regardless of where you sit in real life, it doesnt change the perspective of what is being shown on the screen. He needs to straighten out that view point, so the centre of the screen is facing perfectly (or just about) forward parralell to the ground, and than lower it MASSIVELY so that at least the sides of the body work actually look like they aresurrounding your body not underneath you lol.

Sorry for the rant but it drives me insane lol.

Anyways with regards to the question, its simple. More monitors, lower FOV for each monitor, more seperately rendered/generated viewpoints = less distortion/stretching. The higher the FOV and least seperate viewpoints/monitors you have the more distortion/stretching you will get, regardless of screen size, how close you sit to it, if you sit the perfect distance or not, etc etc. Its still one large FOV all being rendered/generated from 1 single viewpoint.

By not adding a second layer of top monitors in order to have a humungous res and more vertical vision, of course the lower FOV, more rendered viewpoints method will give less vertical vision but we arent soldiers looking for helicopters in the sky, we are racing, and loosing some sky and background mountains in order to have a beautiful barely stretched multi-viewpoint rendered FOV is minor.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A single screen with higher FOV just needs you to sit closer in order for the perspective to be correct, and/or a bigger screen. Not saying it's always going to be practical, but distortion isn't unavoidable. There's another thread discussing exclusively that so I don't want to derail this one, and I'll leave it there. (remembering that a 'single view' is designed for a flat screen, while multiview is designed for the outer screens facing you)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya but squeezing the same FOV from one monitor/rendered viewpoint will have way more distortion than that same FOV split up over 3 separate monitors/rendered viewpoints.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Though I agree with you Spinelli on the angle of the view, the older vintage formula cars didn't wrap around the driver quite as much as the new ones do. If you look at some of the drivers in the real cars, their shoulders are above the bodywork which would mean that they would have the body showing lower in the view. For someone of my height, it would be unrealistic to have the body around my neck level as there would be no way in real life that it could happen. Take a look at today's formula drivers and you will see that most are not any taller than about 5'6", or about half a foot shorter than me.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sitting close enough to match a medium-high FOV to eliminate distortion (distortion is in the eye of the beholder; someone who looks cross-eyed will just look like they're looking at you if you get close enough - same thing) is where the issue is. 3 screens (or more) as you say lets you have a lot more horizontal view while still matching a reasonable vertical FOV so you aren't too close.

14. osella

osella Registered

Changed projected screen size to 64" and now run 12x edge detect SSAA and there is virtually no aliasing, so it looks decent while the screen is large.

(click on screen as usual)

[​IMG]

15. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I'll be following this thread as I'm about to ditch my triple projector screen setup for one superFOV rig :)

16. osella

osella Registered

I'm starting to love the projector. It doesn't make you any better driver and calculated FOV doesn't increase as much as one would expect if you sit a bit further; with 27LCD I calculated 34° and on prj it's 47°. Sure you can crank it to like 70° but the distortion is just as awful as on small screen.
    But I like the customization, for sims I make the screen smaller have higher PPI, for movies I make it bigger. Best of all I don't notice ANY lag whatsover, feels just like my old 2ms TN LCD, while a giant TV would always have giant lag. The picture is more movie-like but it's not like pCars that clearly looks like a game, it looks realistic at the same time.

Triple screen would have better 3D awareness while projector beats it in pure immersion IMO. Also with projector you use normal res so no need for super PC, giant plus.