24hs of Le Mans (Live)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeraArg, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Horsen Kart

Horsen Kart Registered

Well, a lot of sim racers complain about the general flakiness of rF2. Jimmy Broadbent (professional youtube sim racer) says it feels good but is notoriously unreliable and difficult to configure and has been referring to this in his Le Mans stream. Lando Norris, yesterday, ceremonially uninstalled rF2 on Twitch after a glitch took out TeamRedline's entry (Norris, Verstappen, Kerkhof, Huttu).

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Final lap and great battling for 2nd done.

Bidle likes this.
  3. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Was great to follow, too bad about the red flags and the other problems; freezing and AI!

Looking forward to the next event, but first iRacing and their 24h. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I can't help but think user hardware may have had something to do with the issues. Fannatec owners have been on lately complaining about ffb loss after a certain number of pitstops. And somebody with access to the logs will have to examine the freezes. Could those have been attacks on Team Redline's internet provider? Still, glad they were able to finish....I'm sick that the three most visible users were the ones who had issues.

Dady Cairo likes this.
  5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As allready written in the statement on the news page, the issues can have a multitude of reasons and they are investigating it. Lando Norris had tons of issues allready while streaming other stuff and I am not sure if streaming on Twitch while running an online sim race is a good idea if your internet provider is known to be unstable and if the sim is known to be a demanidning piece of software. So I would take those issues with a grain of salt. The big majority of teams and drivers did very well and it seems unfortunate that it hit the drivers with the most exposure. All in all a nice event considering the scale and comnplexity.

pkelly, GTClub_wajdi and Mark Lloyd like this.
  6. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

That race was absolutely mega.
    Strongest grid ever assembled of sim drivers vs real drivers.
    Commentary team clearly got into it including a multiple winner Alan McNish.
    Stream was brilliant and I cant wait to hear how many saw it.
    Well done Studio 397 and the ACO.
    Ground breaking and the biggest thing ever for sim racing.

7. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

8. pas74

pas74 Registered

Congratulation Studio 397 in believe in Rfactor 2!
    You have brought this platform to such a high level of greatness!
    The level of staff involvement has been remarkable ... hundreds of connected people, simdrivers, together with engineering teams and stewards....
    I have never seen an event of this level in a simulation race!
    Keep going like this!

9. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Probably some of those issues might be PC or connection related. Still, how many laps did Lando drive again,...? What issues did he had?
    Also other drivers had problems, but for sure S397 will learn a lot from it.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Wasn't Lando that had issues, it was Max and Atze when he tried to take over. Lando just behaved childishly in the stream.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Mega super turbo grand nitro extreme magnificent great and imperfectly perfect race

David O'Reilly and Mark Lloyd like this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Pas were you the bored Guitar player during the concert? Your icon is remarkably similar.

13. pas74

pas74 Registered

no was an attachment file mistake...

davehenrie likes this.
  14. j_hotch

j_hotch Registered

Don't let the haters get you down, Studio 397! You pushed the envelope with the whole world watching and on the whole it was a great success. Congratulations!

15. Jirka Gillig

Jirka Gillig Registered

I also really enjoyed the stream and the racing at the very end of race was epic. My motivation to race in rf2 more often is definitely increased. Congratulation and thanks for AAA entertainment.

16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Nope, no Crew Chief either, I read that it was in the rules that no third party add ons were allowed.

Bidle likes this.
  17. TTM

TTM Registered

Yes, Lando was a like small kid when acted as he did. It also shows how much he wants to win races, but he shouldn’t do those things in live streams. Hopefully he will receive small punishment from race organizers and show some respect to S397 and others.

...but anyway race was amazing. :)

TJones, Taris Henrique and Bidle like this.
  18. williang83

williang83 Registered

IMO he acted simply as someone who got frustrated with a software that showed more than just one issue. The need of restarting the server is kind of unbelievable in 2020 when the counterpart iracing can host same complexity races with no problem at all, collision detection aside which may be completely unrelated (it is just bad implemented). He has no reason to act differently since he is not a fanboy, actually he is very very patient seeing his issues with F1 game and still he enjoys it. He, like others, has a platform of preference regardless of which one is more realistic. They are here for the competition not for the pseudo realism, since they already have the real world to enjoy real driving, reason why most at the end of the day still prefer iRacing over any other. The common thought is that when it comes to race/competition iRacing is the unbeatable king even with bad netcode and/or sucking tires. Don't get me wrong, i spend most of my time in rF2 but it would be so silly denying that iRacing, by miles, is a superior platform for competition.

cvtele and Mauro like this.
  19. Comante

Comante Registered

Like John Snow I know nothing, but MAYBE, a solution to avoid problem like what happened to Verstappen and his team, could be to let AI kick in when the connection rate of a client degrade to the point that the server cannot foresee his position at any time. I understand that the optimal solution to a problem is not having it in the first place, but being connected all around the globe is not the optimal solution to guarantee 0 problems. Too many people are involved in this and too much hardware in the middle. If the problem is a momentary problem, then once connection quality is restored, control can be regained, or if client problem is severe, AI could stay enough to let a backup driver to enter the pit. Obviously this must not turn in a chance to cheat, so, to avoid to exploit this, the AI could be programmed to enter the PIT or to proceed at a slower pace out of the fast line.

Korva7 likes this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Real drivers chuck the toys when their real life gearbox fails, even if they're at fault for breaking it they initially look for excuses before settling down and thinking on it later, if it's not their fault they still chuck the toys - that just goes to show how much they want to compete & win. (I've seen in it professional Cricket, batsmen blaming the pitch for a stupid shot they made for example!).

That's not to say RF2 is not at fault, of course the Red Flags were unfortunate but in the grand scheme of things they weren't that bad as the vocal minority are making out, I didn't see them making much of a fuss over that great long Green Flag stint. Issues & Bugs happen but lets not forget 4 years ago Studio397 didn't even exist and ISI were letting RF2 go to rot, we've come a long way since then and S397 even further so instead of looking for failures lets at least Praise them when warranted. After all as little as 4 months ago the real Le Mans was still taking place, I'm sure this event was only thought of until fairly recently as well so that's a very very small window to make this Event work - and work it did!
    As for iRacing yeah that should be much better, they've had a superior online platform miles ahead of every single other Dev for years & years, there's no denying that. But this was RF2s chance to shine and I believe it shone very brightly indeed. :)