218 - Can't turn off Real Road?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

At the risk of further convoluting this discussion...

I think Marc (Collins) understands his original question has been answered (ie 'Green' is just the starting point, not an indicator of what will happen through the session). His post above is in response to Tim saying the knownissues answered his original question, when knownissues only refers to the accelerated rate - something Marc acknowledged in the OP and wasn't asking about.

Can I ask a question? When are we likely to see this accelerated rate switched off (and make it time-scaled at least, or independently adjustable) ?

When I/we thought there was a 'final beta version' coming I think we thought it might be then, but now we're just in a state of constant development we don't actually know if it's a week or 3 years away. Those of us trying to use rF2 to actually race have issues with realism when the track rubbers up (and washes off) so quickly.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't think you could just rubber a portion of the track called the "racing line", as you've mentioned (such as rain) enviromental changes to the alter the optimal "racing line". Furthermore, different vehicle types will change what is the optimal "racing line" for a certain track, so how would the optimal racing line be determined for a multi-class racing event?

But you through in a good environment changing factor that would royally screw up this concept of rubbering in the entire track....with rain. If the entire track is rubbered in, you suddenly have a very tricky situation, especially if the entire track was made pre-rubbered in closer to 100%. No-where would be grippy, BUT it would still be even for all those involved so would it truly matter?

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

My question is very simple--can Real Road be turned off? When I pick green, I still get Naturally Progressing rubber build-up. In other words, where's the off switch?

4. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

It is in post 4 of this very same topic. But I will be generous enough to say it again for you

There is no switching off. Green means that when the session is loaded there is NO rubber. Natural Progressing means there is the rubber (and wetness too btw) as previous session.

So in example, if you set race to 'green' you will start with no rubber, if you set it to naturally progressing it has the rubber which qually was ended with.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

luc already replied...

6. kevinho

kevinho Registered

Just to point it out again...

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thank you to all for your patience. For some strange reason I thought "Green" meant green with no rubber build-up and "Naturally Progressing" meant rubber build-up in a realistic/natural manner and that "Save" meant you wanted a certain amount of rubber to carry-over from a previous state.

Who would guess that "Green" actually means naturally progressing and "Naturally Progressing" actually means carrying-forward from a prior session or state? At least "Saved" is clear.

All the more reason we need the artificial acceleration turned off in the next build. Or, a slider that can adjust its proportionality like the other features.

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I agree....and (personally) for self-practice sessions where you could manually set the percentage of grip across the entire track and it remain constant (i.e. real-road paused) would be nice. Currently, the only way of practicing around a track to find if changes you made to your technique improved your lap time is by waiting till the entire track is completely rubbered in 100% so as to rule out increasing grip levels (over-time) being the cause. Once you've waited long enough then it's great and you can practice at 100% rubbered-in knowing any improvement in lap time is down to you, however it would be nice if one could simply dial in the desired amount of track rubber (without it further changing) and go practice at those levels of consistent grip as well for a session.

Just a thought. :)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It can, but it would take longer than an average session. It can take days/weeks for a track to green from rain.

It affects mainly the racing line of course, like real life tracks.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

10. 88mphTim

We have always said that it would be a constant development. Don't really understand the relevance there.

What is the issue you're having with it? Are you shocked by it every time or something? Not really getting it...

11. 88mphTim

Read the replies you already have. It's a simple answer, too :)

12. 88mphTim

You can. Once you rubber in a track as desired, save the rubber layer, then load it next time. You already have the feature you're asking for......

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it's rubbering in too quickly hence the acceleration of it, he was referring to the fact that beta has ended and like many of us thought it would be set to normal by now. but it's still accelerated and we're wondering when it will be made "normal", that's the question.

14. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

What happens if you select "Naturally progressing" in the practice session? In this case which is the "previous" session?

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

True about the 100% rubbered-in realroad save which then needs to be done for each track you have (but not really difficult). However there is currently no way (at least to my knowledge) to load any realroad file (that could have any percentage of track rubbered-in) and to then disable realroad from further rubbering-in the track for that session.

16. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

It will start green (or you could load a previously saved RealRoad file as a starting point obviously :) ).

17. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I did expect it to start green (and just above me, Luc did confirm this). The difference would be when restarting weekend. When you restart weekend, the practice will start with the rubber you had when you pressed restart if using naturally progressing, and it will be green when you selected green.

At least, that is my theory, haven't tested it ;)

18. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

That is correct. As long as you stay on the same track (i.e. don't see a loading screen) 'Naturally Progressing' will keep .. progressing naturally :) .

19. 88mphTim

That, I don't know the answer to. Considering most people complain about low grip, or what they believe to be too low grip, increasing the amount of time it takes to become more grippy, which is what would happen, isn't really something I'm looking forward to that much.

20. kmw

kmw Registered

LOLOLOL, that really made me laugh thank you Tim :)
    (sorry for pointless post)