2016 Charity Fundraising

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Woodee, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Sunday 10th July 2016 I embark on a new adventure. The charity I am raising money for may have changed (I used to raise money for the Scoliosis Campaign fund 2011-2013), but the idea is pretty much the same. Raising money and awareness for Cancer Research UK this time.

I, as well as many others, have been touched by this terrible disease. The 10th of July marks 2 years since I lost my mum to lung and liver cancer. Last year I lost my uncle and this year I lost a school friend who was the same age as myself. In 2004 I lost my auntie. Watching someone contract and be weakened by not only the disease but the treatment that goes along with it. Dignity is taken away and watching what was a strong person turn into a frail shadow of their former selves.

So how am I raising money this time? Well... kind of the same way, but this time I have an extra challenge. The last time I rode a speedway bike was at the end of 2013. This time, during an event called "The Ivor Thomas Memorial Meeting", I will be riding 5 different bikes that I would not have touched before. Currently I will be riding: 2 valve and 4 valve speedway bike, 1930's grasstrack bike and being a passenger on 2 sidecars! Ivor Thomas also died of cancer so I thought this would be an appropriate way to raise funds.

image.png image (3).png image (2).jpg
    image (1).png unnamed (1).png unnamed.png

Quite an assortment of bikes eh? They are madness personified and bikes that need to be respected because they can bite! Now while I won't be racing, the challenge is still difficult.

Now I know many of you are nowhere near where this event will be happening (Sittingbourne Speedway, Raspberry Hill Lane, Iwade, Kent, ME9 8SP), so I don't expect you to be travelling so far to see me (and many others) ride/race these machines around the circuit. But if you love classic bikes on dirt tracks then you will enjoy this day out. £5 entry for adults, Children under 16 get in free.

image (4).png

I have a justgiving page set up to take donations which go straight to Cancer Research UK.

http://www.justgiving.com/ForMyLostLovedOnes

Perhaps you don't think what I am doing is worth a donation? Oh yes... I forgot to mention, there will be a videographer following me around for the entire day capturing my whole day plus I will be wearing my helmet camera, so you can see what happens on the day. My donation page will be up for quite a while after I produce the video. It will be available here: http://www.youtube.com/speedwayforscoliosis so please subscribe to stay updated! :)

Wish me luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016