[REL] 2004 Williams FW26 v0.91

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Petros Mak, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Glad your liking it:). You are correct, there is no wet texture at the moment but I will make a note to include it in the next build.

Not sure about a template, I will make enquiries and find out.

2. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

1st vehicle - 1993 McLaren MP4-8
    2nd vehicle - 1994 McLaren MP4-9
    3rd vehicle - 2004 Williams FW26

;)

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

very nice, thanks a lot for your sharing the results of your hard work

I really like sim-cars that take some time to get use too etc, the grip is nice & needs some accelerator control

graphics are lovely , the sounds seem to lack the put put noise :

http://youtu.be/rv-dQdElsOc

great mod thanks

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I can report that I am fine with this car as long as I stay on the pit limiter :)

Great job guys, lovely car, lovely sounds, Thx allot for creating this!

5. Uff

Uff Registered

I'll copy here what I also wrote on VirtualR:

I tried to make a few laps at Loch Drummond, but this car is impossible to drive, at least for me. Force feedback seems to be inverted, as soon as I turn the wheel looses force like if I were understeering heavily (Fanatec GT2, dr. 181, Win 8.1). Throttle also seems to be a sort of on/off, you spin even in fourth gear as soon as you touch the gas a little.

Let me know if you have any suggestion, even if you suggest to reinstall rF2.

6. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

I would recommend tweaking the setup. Obviously Loch Drummond isn't a track one would normally expect this car to drive at, but also keep in mind these cars had a lot of power so you may need to use traction control. After a few laps with the tires heated up fully and the track rubbering in you'll feel it start to come into its own. It's a tricky car to get used to so take time to learn its tendencies and quirks, that should help a lot.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

I can't feel the FFB very well at all either. The FFB is already heavy when you steer the car at a standstill. G-forces don't seem to be adding any strength to the FFB. As a consequence I can't feel the wheel getting light when I'm about to lose the rear end, because the FFB strength stays the same always. The FFB in ISI cars is much better imo.

For the rest, great job with the car models, steering wheel etc. V10 sounds impressive especially from trackcam.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Didn't these run on TC in 2004? I took it around Bahrain (haven't driven that conversion yet so double work at once) and adjusted gears (one click on Final Gears, minor adjustments on 1-6, and a couple of generous clicks on 7th) to top out at about 335km/h at the 100m braking marker on 25-27 wings. Made some setup adjustments but the range is so great and the defaults are so low (with high rebound on suspension btw) that I was a bit out of my comfort zone tweaking things. I tried to adjust things to keep it to a decent base while keeping proper range in the inner-outer tire temps. Anyway, here's my initial feedback:

I did a handful of laps with TC on medium and then took it off, it's drivable but you gotta really be careful on corner exits. The power surge from the throttle skyrockets the RPMs and if the car isn't planted or has momentum pushing it to a side, you can turn yourself around. The brakes are fairly lenient with strong push without really locking up, it's quite powerful and that's a plus. There was some understeer and slippage when turning in off the brake though.
    The sounds are ok by me, it's not painfully loud and mostly has a good range. Having seen these live in 2004 I can't complain of the virtual representation. To be picky I think there's not as much clarity and is missing a hint of a lower growl. The loud whine and high pitch is there but the vibration of the lower range is 'missing'.
    FFB-wise it feels heavy while cornering but not very detailed. Even adjusting to .8-.9 to prevent clipping it's still heavy and lacking precise information on the tactile feedback from the tires and the track surface. This was present in the Mazda 787B as well. I appreciate having more feel of the wheel than the ISI Marussia (which is very numb on translating the track surface/tires) or even F-ISI but we can't forget these had power steering. While stationary it shouldn't be so light to turn the wheel without resistance and while moving it shouldn't be so heavy. In a way that behavior is reversed (as mentioned before me).

Overall I have to say it has the best performance for an early WIP from MAK but the refinements but as with all other cars it must continue to be developed and refined instead of left as-is.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The models and interior look great.

I found the wheel spin to be quite manageable and I'm not much of a driver.

The FFB to me was o.k, not numb or "feels reversed" like the others though.

I didn't like the sounds. They felt like place holders to me. All the gears sounded the same.

The default front end suspension was quite rough. The bumps seemed to make the cars jump and sent a lot of force through the steering wheel, even at low speed.

Disclaimer: I didnt' spend a whole lot of time with it and I don't claim to be nor am I an expert.

10. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

same feeling for me, so I greatly increased the caster (5 instead of 1.5 by default) and I lowered the FFB mutiplier to 0.60 and it's much better!

(I use a T500RS wheel with 60/100/100/0/0 in control panel and steering torque minimum= 0.03000 as recommanded by DrR1pper)

11. tjc

tjc Registered

I found some of these things mentioned by you during testing. Unfortunately I didn`t get that much testing done before v0.2 was released. The car does spin very easily if not planted before the throttle is applied as you say and the throttle is quite aggressive too...

I also found the ffb to be heavy whilst cornering and the car, to me, judders quite a lot whilst cornering too. I also felt a lot of jolts and judders when driving on the straights and mentioned this during testing but Derek doesn`t seem to feel any of this at all and can`t replicate it either...

I really like the car in general though and iirc, TC was used in 2004 for these cars...

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Yes I had this feeling as well. Seems weird having grooved tyres as well but I can live with that..

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I forgot to point out one cool, positive aspect so people don't think I only pick bad things (though I consider my post as constructive criticism): visual tire wear.

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I fell off my chair :D

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Great car thanks for it, my issues with it:
    -the FFB is light stationary, than heavy going slow speed and goes very light in high speeds too far around middle
    -the gearbox is way too fast imo
    -low rpm sounds
    -absecnce of TC makes it very very diffucult to get the full acceleration out of the car (I dont know if TC can be implemented into the mod, but as far as i know, TC as an driving aid adds penalty weight depending on how much TC you use
    -the outter sounds are weird around changing gears, otherwise they are great

What i like about it:
    -Everything that i did not mention, but to highlight specifics:
    -the model, very good
    -the cars era, very good :)
    -high RPM sounds
    -i think its just right amout of grip.. maybe slightly.. tiny little bit too grippy

Well thats all i noticed during my brief test

16. Koen Calleyl

Koen Calleyl Registered

I'm happy when I hear the model is appreciated! haven't hear anything negative about it yet - Thanks for the heads up all!

17. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

-These cars set the fastest speed for an F1 car in a race and qualifying at Monza until the next year when williams again broke that record. Its not that its too fast, its just only one aero package, atleast right now.

-TC only adds a weight penalty if thats set by the mod maker, which we don't include the weight penalty on cars that have the option for TC.

18. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

No worries, I didn't see anything that I would consider bad, more like, as you say, constructive. None of our cars are being "left as is", as we do have plans to update them, I just have other projects currently that are taking priority so those other cars get put on hold.

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Great, thanks Derek. With regards to the speeds and grip, those cars have the fastest speed F1 records (or top 3 I believe) in a bunch of places as a mix of sheer speed and downforce... except the Williams which struggled with front-end downforce from about 2002-2006 :p.

20. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Yep, this car actually set the record for fastest race speed and qualifying speed at Monza, and was only eclipsed by the FW27 the next season again at Monza.