2 x GTX 980 SLI - Massive Frame losts, why???

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RGerke, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You are going to get performance degradation, for the most part, while using SLI with rFactor 2 in 2D mode. Just disable one of the cards, it takes 10 seconds to disable it. If the NVidia control panel doesn't give you the option, then change it in NVidia Inspector, it's only one line to change.

Note: Your second GPU may still get hot and show usage when disabled, it's weird, I know, but trust me, it's still just 1 card doing the rendering as the framerate will prove.

2. RGerke

RGerke Registered

Sorry Spinelli, we go around in circles! is it so hard to understand me?

before: 2 x GTX 780 TI = 5760 x 1080, Ultra Settings and 4 x SGSSAA, constant very smooth 60 Frames, WITH SLI

Now with the New Driver: 2 x GTX 980 (10% faster) 5760 x 1080, Middle Settings, 4 x SSAA, Frame Drops down to 40, SAME SLI Custom BIT

Yesterday Try Single Card: 1 x GTX 980 TI, 5760 x 1080 Ultra Settings and SGSSAA, 33 -45 Frames max., not an option for me. And I will not
    put down the settings!

My result: Without SLI, i have 60% less Power to drive rF2 at acceptable quality. All under High Settings an 4 x MS AA +4 x SGSSAA looks horrible
    and is for me no racingexperience in 2015.

In the end, the big question still remains! Why does it with my new, stronger
    system is not nearly as good as before?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Well there is no other option then than reducing your settings. Not everything needs to be at max for rF2 to look good. For example, Road Reflections only matter when there is rain, that setting has no visual impact on Dry, but turning it off will give better FPS. AA you can probably reduce some way too, there is setting "Texture Sharpening" in player.JSON, setting it to 0 removes many jagged edges with no FPS cost.

Only ISI can answer your final question and ISI devs aren't around on this forum. They are more or less aware of SLI problem though, it has been mentioned so many times.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Are you using Multiview?
    As I remember reading from other threads - Multiview + HDR + SLI is somewhat broken, or very performance hungry..

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry RGerke. Can only try so much. I give up.

6. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

You've not actually said if you have tried with the old 344 drivers?

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You can try as much as you want but you can never deny the known fact.

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

A while back I also considered to upgrade my cards to 980 but after having tested 980 with rFactor2 I found out that GTX 780Ti is working better with rFactor2 then GTX 980.

On paper the 980 is the best, shader processing units and are better than the 780ti as well like core clock and a boost clock but GTX 780Ti has more memory bus, memory bandwidth, texture rate and texture mapping units.
    When I did my test GTX 780Ti gave 25% better performance in rFactor2 then GTX 980.

PS. My test is not necessarily the case, this is just my own findings you don`t have to agree, please don`t make war about this.:)

9. RGerke

RGerke Registered

Yes, all this settings on. What else? ;-)

Bevore upgarde, my System runs very good with this settings, no reason to go lower.

@ all...thanks for help, i still waiting to a optimizing from ISI an NVIDIA.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well here I was giving up, then you go and actually post something relevant.

In other words, you're helping to explain why the 'upgraded' SLI setup is performing worse than the old SLI setup, instead of focusing on the problems with SLI...

11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes I know that I have bad attitude, English and that I am most off the time off topic sorry about that can not help it ;)

Just because 980 doesn't have as much memory bus, bandwidth etc. it doesn't mean that it will perform worse with other games. Maxwell CUDA cores perform better than Kepler CUDA cores by 30% and I think and that's why there are less cores about 800 difference . 780 TI has 2880 CUDA Kepler CUDA cores and 980 has 2080 Maxwell CUDA cores. Maxwell doesn't use as many CUDA cores, therefore there's less power usage. 980 is only 5% stronger than 780 TI, and it uses around 100W less than 780 TI. If you want something such as 980 get it, but sooner or later 980 TI is going to be released which will be far superior and even 2x 780 TI owner will have to upgrade when games will become more demanding and as I value 780Ti vs 980 I have decided to wait and see what is next move from Nvidia. :)

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Apparently the gap/improvement between the R9 390X and 290X is going to be even larger than the gap between the 290X and HD 7970. Just rumors, of course. This should then drop GTX 980 prices.

With regards to the 980 Ti, I hear rumors from this February all the way to 2016, lol.

13. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Works for me, I wish both companies would just give up on SLI/crossfire altogether, its never worked as intended. The problem for me is I'm a sucker performance numbers, I see them and I rush to whatever made them, its like crack.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have had a ton of success with SLI/Crossfire. If anything, I wish they focused more on it, a big part of it is also the game makers making the game work with SLI/Crossfire, but not always. For eg. I had great scaling with GT Legends and Crossfire, I doubt that game was programmed/developed for crossfire.

I've had good experiences, generally speaking, with all of my multi-GPU setups listed below.

AMD:
    HD 6990
    2x HD 6970
    3x HD 6950

Nvidia:
    2x GTX 780 Ti

15. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Your right I shouldn't say it never works because the games I do have that support crossfire work really well....except for rfactor 2 and asseto corsa.

And oddly enough, its for the exact same reasons, and they give the exact same answers.

16. RGerke

RGerke Registered

OK, some good news today.

- New NV Driver
    - New Installation
    - NOS 2.01
    - 14 AI
    - 9:00 AM and HDR natural
    - All Settings ultra
    - AA = 4 x SGSSAA + 4 x MSAA (lower settings looks pure "rubbish" from the 2009, sorry)
    - AF 16

All in Triple 5760 x 1080 and HDR and Screen Render Multiview.

RUNS smooth like a smelth irish butter :eek:

60 Frames in all Tracks and Scenes!

Thats only the Power from 2 x 980 in SLI...never without SLI!

Thanks

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Nos 2.01 ?

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1

EDIT: Maybe Nords?....

19. RGerke

RGerke Registered

Yes...i mean Nordschleife 2.01, what else? :)

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Based on this fruitless discussion the last option is to plug your 780 TIs back and be happy.

I have SLI 980 GTX and I works like crap in rFactor 2. I'm resigned that I'm only able to use one of my two GPUs.

Funniest stuff, rFactor 1 scales well. And the saddest stuff is that ISI staff believes that rF2 "scales very well with SLI", a non-sense official statement.

Mostly I've been seeing is people deluded thinking rF2 is running smooth with SLI when the Inspector settings are forcing SLI off and they're not even know. In addition, 14 AI is not a decent benchmark, try to start at the end of line with 30 AIs on track.