[WIP] 1971 Porsche 917K

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by LeStrat, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I think I just had a cardiac arrhythmia.

2. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Very nice looking, deserves a thread of it's own. The two better sport cars of the 70 and the T70 in the same sim, great news.
    Congrats and cheers.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

It's very bad for my heart !

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I will never understand why people choose the SF70H over this beautiful piece of craftmanship in AC to just have another modern F1 car racing itself, instead of complementing perfectly with the 917K. Sim racers are wierd. Luckily Yoss and his team have a sweetspot for just the right content and I will happily pay for a historic WSC mod. Might be worth to change the name of this topic to WSC 1970 2.0. That Matra model is sexy as hell too :D

DaveS78 and jymp like this.
  5. jymp

jymp Registered

Yes, I agree, WSC 2.0 featuring the 917K and the Ferrari would be just fine.

6. nextacyn

nextacyn Registered

Wow, just wow! I'm in awe! Thanks for posting this Yoss, FANTASTIC!!

7. yoss

yoss Registered

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

"Late one Friday in 1969 the telephone rang. Hello Frank, this is Husche (von Hanstein). We would like you to drive our new car at the Nurburgring 1,000 kilometres this weekend. I said I was busy and recommended he call Brian Redman. 'Brian has had a crash, and is in hospital.' Jo Siffert was my next suggestion. 'Jo has had a crash and is in hospital.' 'What the bloody hell is going on there?' Our new car is not easy to drive, Frank' - and he wasn't kidding!
    "Porsche came to us because there was a shortage of drivers but the money was good so David Piper and I decided to take it on.
    "These first cars had alloy tubular chassis, which was gas-filled to detect cracks. There was a big gauge in the cockpit, which measured the gas pressure. If the gauge zeroed, they said it meant that the chassis has started to crack, and they said I should drive home 'mit care'. I told them, 'If the needle zeroes I'll park the ******* there and then and walk back, pick up my Deutschmarks and go home'.

"The chassis flexed so much that the position of the gearchange was never the same twice in a row. You'd reach out for the lever and it wasn't there anymore. I was asked to drive it at Le Mans, the money was great too, but I told them 'I never wanted to be the quickest bloke in motor racing - just the oldest- and that Porsche was going to interfere with my plans.

"Then there was the engine. You had about 300 horsepower at 5000 revs, and then between 5000 and 6000 you picked up another 300! So it was a bit of delight, really, and it was on narrow nine-inch rims all round. The computer had said that nine-inch rims would make the car very quick in a straight line, but the computer wasn't strapped in the bloody seat up in the Eifel mountains, where you tend to get the odd corner...

"David did one lap at the Nurburgring and said he was too young to die. It snowed and poured, the car was snapping sideways and aquaplaning at the same time. It was one of the few times I extended my concentration levels above and beyond what I possessed, but we finished 5th".

- Frank Gardner, on the Porsche 917

9. yoss

yoss Registered

Briiliant post seven millis.
    Near 50 years after you can reproduce the same combo thrill in rf2 ,

10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

And there is the fear factor we don't think about in a sim environment.
    In a sim you can crash and die until you get it right.
    In real life it's not necessarily the most talented driver who is the fastest but the most crazy!!
    Young and bumb doesn't hurt either!!

11. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

MarcusarilliuS_IRL Registered

My new favourite simcar. Well done chaps! Keeping an eye to the WCS pack you mentioned. Will definitely support you if it gets released as a paid mod.

12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

13. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Triple test: Porsche 917, Ferrari 512S and Lola T70

14. yoss

yoss Registered

15. pascom

pascom Registered

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Corti and pascom like this.
  17. jymp

jymp Registered

Been quiet for awhile, what's the latest with the 917K ?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  18. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

The 917 lacks the modern autopilot features of ABS and traction control that seem to be favored among the modern flock of GT3 fans. No matter its been one of my all time favorites for 50 years now. I've been playing a bit with upgraded tires in Devmode as the originals are no longer available and it really comes alive, still slideable with lap times on par with LMP2 cars but very different in acceleration braking and turn speeds. You still have to drive the car with rev-matching, and delicate tuning makes large differences in lap times.

Not sure the "digital on/off" throttle response can be replicated in any sim.

19. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

We are driving these today in F3 Fanatics race, I'd forgotten how awesome and FUN these cars are! Come race them at Le Grand (Le Mans) with us!

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

What a cool car again... needs more love.

I have been digging slightly for the engine rpm limiting stuff. I think it should not have a limiter, driver should be a limiter. And believe me, once you blow the engine easily, you do keep looking at the tachometer even more often than in the mirrors.

About engines blowing up on 917K,

source in here:
    source in here: https://ferdinandmagazine.com/david-piper-sues-for-blown-up-porsche-917-engine
    source in here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...8-porsche-917k-performance-help-me-out-2.html and a screenshot from there:
    upload_2020-6-22_15-41-7.png