[WIP] 1971 Porsche 917K

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by LeStrat, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I have just run a race at Sebring where the temperature is 45C and the engine overheats (even at 35C in practice it overheated very quickly). The Radiator Size is fixed at 1, I can't see any way to bring the temperature down. The engine survived a half hour race with smoke coming out the back which I think says there's something wrong there too.

Great fun to drive though :)

2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Cool! Particularly because this is still my favorite car, and in all likelihood always will be.

This is what happens to you when your father raises you on the passenger side floor of his Porsche 356 (and later his '67 911). You have to have one yourself, so you buy a '71 914...and then many years later you buy a Boxster...and a 996 (911) Cabriolet....

[I still own the last two]

...or maybe it's just me. :D Anyway...let this be an abject lesson to all of you...lol!

[Thanks, Dad]

-----

So...there wasn't really any point to jumping into this thread until I finally had a new PC (mostly) running, but now that I do, I might actually be able, not just to cheer you on, but perhaps even to help.

My first question would be: Has anyone in the mod team heard from an Australian mechanical engineer by the name of "Bristow" [I think he might still be lurking about online] about any of this? I ask because he was the guy who pulled the entire physics package together for our "World Sports Car 1970" mod for rFactor, in which the 917 was the premier 5 liter car.

I was a test driver for that mod, and I had some very good physics data from an old Paul Frere book from the early 70's which I brought to the team. Bristow managed to secure a copy for himself too from his national library "down under," which we then used to bring our 917 into very good form (I thought). As I recall it, we also used it to extrapolate over into the Ferrari 512's, for which the numbers we had were considerably less solid.

PM me if you think I can help.

-----

As for me, I haven't managed to drive anything yet, though I hope to as early as tonight when I take the new box upstairs to where the old cockpit/projector rig resides (lying under a layer of dust about five years thick). :D Have got rFactor 2 installed thru Steam, and after I run some laps around Spa and Monaco in the Brabham (and the Eve), I hope to try this one out too.

Go, men, Go!!!

CS

3. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Keep your rpm's down. Try to shift at 8200 or sooner whenever you can. Peak power is at 8400, so there is no point in going higher than that. Peak torque is around 6800, so as long as your up-shifts land around here you will be fine on power. I have found at the Le Grande circuit, that if I extend 5th gear so that I max at 7600rpm on the straight, I gain 3-5kmh compared to a max rpm of 8000.
    Remember, these cars are air cooled, no radiator. Thats what that little fan is doing on top of the engine. :D

Seven Smiles likes this.
  4. yoss

yoss Registered

very good points rocket
    send you a mp christopher

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Began tonight, I'll see what I can do on alpha layer to do this properly to get the hard leather and the metal to show decently. There is still some texture missing but just a little glimpse won't hurt:

917K Steering prev.jpg

Edit: this is at half the size. I did each individual letter on the wheel so it would match the reference picture perfectly, amidst other OCD things. Hoping the alpha layer will be good enough that I can remove the leather grain from the main texture.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
    adamfarmer and Alex72 like this.
  6. rocketjockeyr6

Opened this up in CarStat, findings are as follows:
    917carstat.png
    The numbers I had mentioned before are for the 5.0L engine, the one used for the mod is the 4.9L.
    Basically, what I take from this is; set rev limit to 8400rpm(no higher than 8600), set gearing so that upshifts at 8k land near 6k, and set 1st gear so that you exit the slowest corner no lower than 4500rpm.

Cheers
    rocket

Eric Rowland, Rony1984, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  7. Christopher Snow

This graph is of the engine currently in the car, or can they be changed out?

I've subscribed to this mod and it's downloading now (albeit slowly due to my poor internet connection). If I can get my old pedal input board working, I might even be able to drive it tonight. :D Looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. rocketjockeyr6

Its the engine for all cars, the only difference between them is the liveries.

9. rocketjockeyr6

Just did an hour @ Rouen Les Essarts, ambient temp was 29*C, ~20 cars on track(at the start at least ;) ).
    Rev limiter was set to 8200, never got hot for a second.
    Finished 5th because of mistakes, hard vehicle to tame for an hour straight. :D
    Cheers
    rocket

10. Christopher Snow

According to Paul Frere, who was given a chance to drive both a 908 and then a 917 on the Nordschleife very early on in the 917's development, the latter car was much more physically taxing to drive, with demonstrably heavier steering than the smaller car, and that's just part of why it was seven seconds slower (then). One of the things that pleased me a lot about our WSC 1970 version was that the same was true of our virtual cars (our laptimes were usually within 1% of real-world times at a lot of tracks), and even though we had very low-poly 3D models, I think our physics rocked. If these guys can emulate or improve on that, they'll really have nailed it.

Worth noting too that even with the big wheel (which blocked the view of the road ahead for a lot of drivers) the steering was still "heavy." Power steering (then) was a NASCAR thing....

CS

Mauro and Jyyka Pihtari like this.
  11. yoss

yoss Registered

bravotangosix and Mauro like this.
  12. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

If I may add....the works drivers would not touch the 917 at the Ring in 1969. "we let the others find out about ze car." Frank Gardner was paid a nice sum to drive it and finished 9th. Vic Elford was asked to do a lap of the Targa in 1970 and was physically destroyed when he came in.

13. Christopher Snow

For my part, I would be happy too, but I really 'own' don't any of the files except the setups I built to go with each distro. That's why I was wondering in my first reply if you have heard from Bristow, our physics guru.

I do know a "representative" of the CSGT team allowed the folks from MNRL to use the mod as a base for a "league edition" they wanted to build, and I'm in contact with some of them, so I will see what I can find out--who to contact, that is. Unfortunately, I've lost track of our team leader, but I will see what I can do.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The 917 was unstable, that's why the k evolution came about.

Jyyka Pihtari and Pauli Partanen like this.
  15. ceecee

ceecee Registered

David Kolody and Pauli Partanen like this.
  16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

This is the best example of a simulated car I have ever driven.

LeStrat likes this.
  17. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I have been thinking about why this car is so believable to drive and its the way the road pulls the wheel.

I drive highway tractor trailers and I have to constantly correct the wheel and plan my corner entry, not much unlike driving a race car. All the math and theory is the same with same outcome. I guess it's one reason why I enjoy driving a sim so much.

The more I am convinced of the sim experience is real the longer and better I drive.

I can even feel the front end jump on the bumps on a long straight which adds a whole soup of feed back to deal with. Very well done

18. rocketjockeyr6

Try driving with a period correct suspension setup(10cm minimum height) the feeling is surreal. This set is made for Rouen Les Essarts 74-94

Attached Files:

19. rocketjockeyr6

Big one comin, look out. :eek::rolleyes:
    GRAB_017.JPG
    [​IMG]
    Ive noticed that the front tyres are a bit too thick. Even with 10cm ride height the fender doesnt clear the tyre.
    Im sure it would not be easy to just resize it and move on. I dont expect a quick fix or anything like that... but considering that the mod is still in development, I figured that I would bring it to your attention.
    Ive also noticed strange environment reflections on the body and in the cockpit, very rarely, but they usually go away after I drive a few hundred meters or so.
    Like this:
    GRAB_016.JPG
    The purple stripe is the exterior paint/skin, and the rest looks to be the asphalt.

One last thing... :oops:
    Do you plan to put a mirror up on the windshield? The one Steve is looking at. :cool:
    lm.png
    And touching;)
    lm2.png

Cheers mate, and thanks for your great work!

Seven Smiles, vegaguy5555 and Mauro like this.
  20. yoss

yoss Registered

ty for the feedback !!
    impossibl to work of this free mod for the moment but we update him later , when we can , and surely add some new car around her later .