[WIP] 1969 Formula 5000 cars V0.65

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by stdave, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Worth noting that while the cars may feel the same, the physics are subtly different for each one. Different mass, wheelbase, etc. The attention to detail shows!

2. argo0

argo0 Registered

Can't wait to try this. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

3. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Excellent start! Thank you. Looking forward to further releases. I think the sound is pretty good. I've only tried the M10A at Mosport. It seems to respond well to setup changes. Are these using the latest tire model? Some of the cars have Showroom options like gearbox or wings; other cars don't. Is this in progress or for historical accuracy? I like the differences among the different makes of cars that go beyond appearance. I appreciate the physics differences.

4. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

Awesome Mod ....wish i had a Riverside ....Brainerd and Seattle, but alot of nice tracks to run these on already

5. stdave

stdave Registered

The mods tyres are not using the latest CPM (Contact Patch Model) yet. The showroom options (upgrades) will allow the same models to look slightly different as they could do in real life, eg the Lola T142 can be run with or without it engine cover and the mirrors can be placed in different locations.

6. Eddy

Eddy Registered

thnx again

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

These cars are crazy fun to drive, excellent work so far!
    In the last 24 hours I've driven races at Spa, Monza, Rouen and Silverstone, and I can't get enough. :cool:

The AI has a tendency of crashing a lot though.
    It seems to stem from understeer in most situations, as far as I can tell.
    I don't know if the AI tires could do with a tweak of some sort?

Anyhow, loving this car so far. Keep it up! :)

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am reading messages that suggest there is some generic AI understeer problem being back with Build 1080. I have never heard of this...ever. But hex, have other AI all been acting the same for you? Would be good to figure out if it's part of the AI physics/settings of these F5000's versus some other issue.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I ran a bunch of vanilla content today, and there was no difference in AI behavior compared to previous builds.
    Which makes me think the issues I experienced is mod related.
    I've seen people talk about some difference in the AI overall in 1080, bit I've yet to experience this myself.

Anyway, here's a few for instances:

F5000 AI, 100/25/5 settings, Brianza Jr. 20 laps.
    2/3 of the 26 car field crashed out, understeering straight into the armco just before you rejoin the back straight.
    Vanilla EVE F2 and F3, same settings, same spot, only a few cars hit that barrier once in a while, which was also the case pre 1080.

F5000 AI, 100/25/5, Belgium, 5 laps.
    Again, around 2/3 of the field crashed out.
    Vanilla content, far fewer cars crash out, 3 or 4 cars total.

So this is what makes me think the F5000 AI could do with some sort of grip tweak.
    I see them turn the wheel full lock, yet the car just plows straight on, which is causing the many accidents.

None of this is meant as an attack on the mod - quite the contrary in fact, I love it!
    I'd love to be able to race the AI without the many pile-ups I'm seeing now.

Looking forward to the next version. :)

10. stdave

stdave Registered

Understood, I will see what can be done with the ai.

11. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I made a setup for the M10A and made it the "Assigned" setup. I then switched to the Lola T142 and the M10A setup was already loaded and was the "Assigned" setup. I haven't seen this in other mods, as I recall. Does this mean that the cars are all really the same? They seemed to all drive pretty similarly, not a surprise since they all have the same engine and tires. Just curious. Emery says some have different mass and wheelbase, which should have a noticeable effect.

12. stdave

stdave Registered

I don't know why your setup would be loaded for other cars, the cars are similar but they are not the same, mass, suspension, inertia, are different and they all have there own chassis file for chassis flex. The slower cars are more competitve than they were in real life as nobody wants to drive around at five seconds off the pace.

13. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I think thats because all cars have the same value for CarType and CarClass:
    <Category>F5000</Category>
    <CarType>F5000</CarType>
    <CarClass>F5000</CarClass>

I think it would be good to have car name in CarClass, like <CarClass>Lola T142</CarClass>.

14. stdave

stdave Registered

I will update the Classes value. Although you can select all settings to load any vehicles setup.

15. Emery

Emery Registered

See the Apex GT3 mod for a class structure that works. Also how to package without using multicomponent, which should help hosting with GetMod?

16. stdave

stdave Registered

I've made a small tweek to the ai to make them behave better. To ensure that the ai are not too fast can you post your laptimes and what you think that a quick driver could do for Lime Rock Park, Brianza, Brianza Junior, and if you have tested there Putnam Park. If you have only run at 1 or 2 tracks then just post those times.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Using default setup?
    I'm guessing No Chicane Lime Rock?

18. stdave

stdave Registered

Yep, Lime Rock No Chicane.

19. Emery

Emery Registered

I used Adamowicz's Eagle, default setup, didn't pick any options in the tuning section

Lime Rock, no chicane..... 53.6 actual and 53.0 possible, medium rubber
    Brianza Jr................ 50.3 actual and 49.9 possible, medium rubber
    Brianza................... 1:30.3, medium rubber [note: on rev limiter half the straight using default setup]
    Putnam Park GP, no chicane 1:13.5 green track, 1:11.8 and 1:11.5 possible, heavy rubber

Putnam Park is not a track I drive very often, but I felt pretty comfortable with the fast times after about 20 laps. These lap times are probably race pace rather than a great driver's qualifying run as I tend to not be aggressive.

Hope that helps!

20. stdave

stdave Registered

:cool: Thank you.
    It is looking like the ai will be right on that pace. Lime Rock No Chicane low 53s (53.3), Brianza low 50s (50.2), after only a few laps. I will test the other tracks and report back later.
    Edit
    Brianza 1:31.5 default gearing needs to be adjusted.
    Putnam Park GP 1:14.2 the cars appear to be a bit too slow here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016