1966 Brabham-Repco BT20 v1.6 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 27, 2015.

1. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

Thanks for the help Paul. Removing the spring effect seems to do the trick for me. I can sense the back much better and the wheel seems more accurate with the car and not so sluggish and even more detailed. Even though wheel still feels lighter than i think it should in some cases, but it also gets pretty heavy in some cases too like it should. So I am a happy user again :)

2. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks Paul, I was adjusting default to 58/42(F/R) and found it didnt feel right and lots of front lockups..

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wouldn't that essentially mean that the bias in effect was 65/35? Considering the 57 front bias by default.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, that's what Paul's posts helped him understand, hence the "Thanks Paul" :p

5. fullsus

fullsus Registered

Question: Please tell me the car that suit to apply trail braking method.
    Answer:
    BT20 make me to love in historic car.:D

6. bwana

bwana Registered

/+1

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah sorry, should have seen that. A lesson learned, I shouldn't visit the forum before I'm fully awake lol :D

8. mennow

mennow Registered

This is one fine example of getting rewarded for driving well.
    Last two evenings i was on the Spa server, getting faster and faster.
    In the beginning i thought the older car was better,
    but after some setup tweaking i'm getting the hang of it.
    After Hexagramme tips on caster i tried a lot of caster, but i don't like a understeery car.
    I want faster turn-in, so i use 4.
    Today i read about AI tweaking and how you can learn them to drive properly in another forum thread.
    So changed that line in my .ini and, let 29 ai drive on brianza, saved the real-road.
    Chose 1 ai while practising and when he was done, i started a race weekend.
    They behave truly amazing now....

There are some moments when it all comes together, and you enjoy it so much , it sucks you into the zone..
    The whole experience is far better than for instance Assetto, because with the changing weather and different lightning during the race it's far more immersive.
    Than add up shifting with h-shifter , really step on my Heusinkveld brake, it's a real workout here....
    I think when that Oculus thingy comes out it almost will be a heavenly experience.

I hope there will be more historic tracks from modders or ISI because this game shines with the historics.

Thx for all tips, i'm going for another zen experience now.

Greetings Menno

9. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

great races at Spa this weekend Menno. I was trying to catch you all the sunday, but I used to crash very often because of freeze, stuttering and some personal mistakes.

As a GPL player, I have to say that this car is really a pleasure to drive, with all the challenge that it involve.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Menno was definitely the fast driver! I was trying to dial in my "survive the wet" driving and could not even come close.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nope as will not be linear but 57/43 * difference, etc. Sorry couldn't resist :p

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

What a kind of formula is that ? What other than 57 of 100 possible can 57 % be.
    How is that something else.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure you understand the point being made here, about it not being linear. Moving the bias forward 8% (from 50/50 to 58/42) isn't the same as changing the effective bias by 8% (57/43 to 65/35). Otherwise moving the bias to 100/0 would give you an effective bias of 107/-7 ;)

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

Now i'm totally lost, what other than fluid pressure bias is controlling the efficiency of the hydro sys in the first place ?

I mean when i had to balance the brake bias in reality i never did something diff than to meassure the fluid pressure between the front and the rear.

15. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Just a guess here...
    Maybe with the brake fluid pressure set the same for front and rear (50/50), the front brakes provide 57% of the stopping power. Perhaps because of brake efficiency?

16. Z06Trackman

Z06Trackman Registered

I think some folks are over thinking this. The brake bias is simply the amount of pressure supplied to the front versus the rear brakes. Different size rotors, pad sizes, pad compounds, weight balance, and tires sizes will all impact the actual braking forces delivered to the pavement and this is compensated for by different piston sizes in the master cylinder. In any event the closer to max braking the more pressure is sent to the front to compensate for the moment arm formed from the center of mass to the ground, which produces weight transfer. In real cars the amount of bias shifted to the front varies with brake pedal pressure via the proportioning valve. In some later model cars (like C5 and later Corvettes) this is handled instead by the computer using the vehicle handling sensors and the hardware in the antilock system.

As far as the sim goes, you just need to adjust this the same as a race driver does who has the adjustment in the car: plus or minus until he is comfortable with the braking. Incidentally max braking decel is achieved when the car is a little skittish under braking because the fronts and rears are giving up at the same time. Many drivers prefer the fronts to give up first as this provides very stable braking without the need to make steering corrections to keep the car traveling straight. I find the lack of feedback from the accelerometer in my butt to often cause me to shift the bias in rF2 cars a little more to the front, although this is less with later builds.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  17. bwana

bwana Registered

If im thinking right the 50/50 default is a datum but the car itself has inherent brake ability of say 57/43(due to componentrey (sp ), by adjusting bias other than default settings just adjusts for the drivers preferences.??

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I don't know about you guys but I think it's amazing that there is that level of detail to have specificity to distinguish between pressure and component efficiency. I have no frame of reference for this feeling because as far as I know rF1 is capable of this but regardless is impressive to me at least.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ofc the brake efficiency depends on the mechanical parts involved, and fluid pressure distribution of 50/50 doesn't means 50/50 efficiency to me due to the possible diff in mechanical parts ofc, but that was not my question, the more what does the number in the setup menue mean when it calls something like 57.xxxxxx ?

I would have better understood when it would call for Newton when it means efficiency, otherwise where is the sense of confusing people by two different calculations.

So what exactly the numbers are the result of, what formula is that ?

I need this software in german. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can set the maximum torque for each brake separately, so presumably the brakes themselves are closer to 57:43 in balance. I don't have the files here so can't confirm. Something I've never actually thought about is how different brake biases are applied as regards the braking torque at a particular wheel. Does 80:20 apply more front torque or is it just reducing the rear? I don't know :eek: