1966 Brabham-Repco BT20 v1.6 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 27, 2015.

1. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

Although I can't say what is realistic as I have no experience in real life. I could almost drift the previous car so running sideways wasn't so bad for me until you get over a certain slide angle and then there was no recovery at that point for the most part. I do admit the new ffb feels more natural in its on way, but too springy and too light. I do believe the ffb conveys a better weight on front tire being loaded as I feel the weight beginning to add up during cornering, but at this time I feel no info from the back. This is probably where my issues arrives. I feel the weight from the tire that is loaded in front, but no weight in the back is counter reacting this wheel weight from the front tire. if the back is sliding, wouldn't it make sense that the front tires are going to want to self align for the back angle? Instead I just feel the front tire weight. I hope this clears it up some.

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow BasicUser, that's really weird that you're getting so little proper feedback from the new BT20.
    What are your wheel settings, if I may ask?

I have a T500RS, and have driven both the old version and the 1.60 extensively with that wheel, and I find v1.60 leaves the previous version in the dust.

I can only say this... Before the updated version, I couldn't finish a 30 minute race at Spa in the BT20... At all.
    I had no idea what the back was doing, and especially on corner exits I would often lose it.
    Under braking I hadn't a clue either.

With the 1.60 I have never felt such communicative force feedback before.
    I can feel what each wheel is doing, slipping, locking etc.
    I can catch every slide, every wobble, controlled opposite lock until the cows come home lol ;)
    The feeling of grip is massive, both front and rear end.

The weight of the wheel is just right too, for me. When the tires are at optimal temps, there's a great heavy feeling.
    Overheat them (through Burnenville for example) and that nice feeling will quickly change.

Under braking I can feel when a wheel is about to lock up, and ease off the pressure before it happens.
    Coming out of a corner I can totally rely on the back end... not because it's nice and tidy, but because I feel what it's doing at all times.

I'm blown away by this update to be honest.
    I'm now able to race this car on the edge, lap after lap, hours on end, fully enjoying every turn, straight and braking zone, always feeling in control.

Can't wait to see if the EVE and Spark cars will get the same treatment.
    If they do, I will have lost my heart completely to ISI's OW historics once and for all lol ;)

Very important - caster angle is something that definitely changes the feel of this car.
    I always run it at max.

3. Justy

Justy Registered

T500 here as well. I noticed the ffb feels lighter than it did before, but I've not really had any issues with not being able to feel what the car is doing. Possibly it feels a tiny bit more sluggish in some scenarios, but I don't feel it's a huge difference in that respect. My settings are all default for the wheel firmware and in-game ffb multi is at 1.0 and smoothing at 0.

Also, as already mentioned above, you could try increasing the caster angle, but I've not really felt it was necessary.

Out of interest.. how old is your wheel? Mine is still relatively new (just over 12 months old), but a mate of mine has one of the very early ones and his wheel feels much more worn out and loose.

4. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

My settings are default. no custom ffb settings. I know I can adapt to the new ffb, but I really do feel detached from the cars capacity. My wheel is very light and acts very springy when I try to counter steer, I wobble the wheel trying to find the balance. This was not the case before. If my back is slipping during the exit, the wheel does not tell me like it did before.

also 0 smoothing and 1 on the ffb multi.
    and yes feels sluggish
    My wheel is not old at all. less than a year with liitle use

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I run 1.20 ffb, 0 smoothing and crank the caster up all the way. One click less negative camber front and rear. Give it a go and see if it makes a difference to you. :)

6. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

perhaps that explains why I like the old style ffb as it would tell you the back better( self aligning torque I guess :) ). Maybe it was a bit too good.

the wheel would have no motion/weight increase if the car is balanced during the corner. if you kicked the back out or it started to slip, the wheel would suddenly add more weight to that direction of slip. You could then catch the point to where the wheel would be back to being motionless or getting lighter and then you could think and could say to yourself, I should force weight in back to maintain a slide/ add throttle or get that hard snap :) Hopefully I explained myself

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Comes back to physics for me and the alternatives, I drive Historics almost 100% of the time.

AC Lotus 49 VS rF2 BT20 ? .......... I just can't compare them and keep a straight face.

All it does is make me wonder what a rF2 Lotus 49 would be like >>>> oh my :eek:

Grand Prix Legends gave you some idea how beastly the Lotus 49 was compared to BT20.

Yet...... in AC the Lotus 49 feels way more tamer then the rF2 BT20 ................................. go figure. lol

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Historics in AC are all on rails, ridiculous artificial feeling of grip that seems way off. Nothing those cars does seems to make any sense, not to me at least. A very sterile and watered down driving experience indeed, nothing I'm likely to return to ever again.

Not even in the same league as rF2's historics. :)

With that out of the way, let's return to thoughts and feelings about a historic sim car that actually does matter... :D

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Cmon guys stop the childish behaviour. Who on earth guaranteed you the rf2 presentation would be the right one, and why AC is a comparison when it is such a arcade game as some of you rate it. Is it fear or jealousy.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

................and sorry for some of you, who are great, from which i learned much but as i said already in the past, this rf2 community is sick included some responsible, luckily not all.

11. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

So I tweaked a few settings and the feeling is better. I still feel a lack of control of the back when exiting as even a little throttle will send me spinning without any info from the ffb that I can use to prevent the side. I can catch it, but only after its too late to prevent the slide, but these settings have helped quite a bit overall, except for this specific case.

T500rs Panel:
    Overall Strength of all forces 75%
    Constant 100 %
    Periodic 100%
    Spring 100%
    Damper 20%

In Game:
    FBB Multi: 1.4
    caster 3

I tried a highest caster too, but found the lower setting having more detail and response.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

I have a great respect for the guys and for what they are doing, no matter the impression i have from, but did you see me comparing or bad mouthing any of the other great guys contributing to our love with there own interpretation of car simulation. Please stop this self justification. I now you are smart enough to understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  13. bwana

bwana Registered

One of the most important changes for me almost on every car is increasing caster. For me that's what allows a steady controlled power drift and stops end swapping.

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

@ Mr. hex

I see Sector3 doing a good job as example, and a lots of people like it and i'm sure i'll not be the one which like to make it unpleasant.

15. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

Even though the car does handle better after my setup. I still can't believe you can feel the back during a heavily loaded front while exiting. Its just not there. Without my settings, I would rate the ffb 3 out of 10, but with my new tweak, I would rate it 8 out 10 if it wasn't for the exiting issue. I have no issue with end swapping and lowering the caster improved the detail of the back beside in the exiting.

My main issue is prevention of the back sliding out while exiting the corner. Just no feeling of the back becoming loose or is loose

If you would like try my settings to see how well the back is conveyed besides under front
    heavy loaded exit, try these settings:

T500rs Panel:
    Overall Strength of all forces 75%
    Constant 100 %
    Periodic 100%
    Spring 100%
    Damper 20%

In Game:
    FBB Multi: 1.4
    caster 3

Catching a sliding car is no problem though

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Good call, man feels good. Sorry had to try it and feels pretty darn nice.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'm sorry a couple of guys are struggling/not enjoying the current version. The changed center of gravity made a huge difference for the better, of course I'd not say is perfect but the car feels more nimble (agile) and more drivable than before.

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I don't understand ignoring the difference between these two things.

1. We've got a pretty technically correct sim here, you can come real close to using real life setups and the car acts pretty much as expected.

2. Let's all crank up the negative caster to the max so we can get a better feel (the way I want it to feel, that is). It won't hurt tire wear at all.

I guess I'm just glad I only have a lowly DFGT and don't have to crank up -castor just so I can drive with FFB feeling.

Not being a smart a**, just not getting any of this crank up the castor ideology.
    I find the new BT to be quite an improvement. Heck, it even feels like it tires made of rubber now. Anyone notice that when you run over a curb and it's not that "split second jolt" now, it feels more like I hit it with a rubber tire instead of a ball joint.

I know, ya give a fanboy a DFGT and he's dangerous.:)

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1. Completely disable spring and damper in your control panel's FFB settings. Those should always be set to 0 by default, and only progressively raised if you subsequently feel the need to do so.

So I would definitely start there.

2. Try adding some STM (steering torque minimum). Try 2-4% (0.02-0.04). The STM value is edited in your controller file Raising this setting probably won't improve the particluar type of feel you're looking for, but give it a shot.

3. Try Paul Loatman's or Speed1's FFB settings (includes both: RF2 controller file, and Thrustmaster T500RS control panel settings).

20. BasicUser

BasicUser Registered

I actually lowered the caster and it felt better for me with the setup I posted. It could be just me, but it feels much more alive with the caster at 3( lowest setting) and not maxed out.