1966 AC 427 v1.03 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 3, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Seems that way. Pretty impressive I would say considering how critical everyone in here is.

Also, wind noise for an open-wheeler that increases with speed isn't that hard to do, so hopefully ISI will do it properly and quickly. The progressive wind noise could also be a car tuning option to turn off for those few who want something unrealistic, but quieter. Or make it a separate slider in the audio tuning options.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

My God this is a beautiful car to look at, top work Team ISI

3. smbrm

smbrm Registered

A separate wind noise slider would be great for those starting to go deaf! :)

4. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

Thank you for a fantastic simulated car.
    Truly fun, addictive and challenging.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wind noise is actually minor in an open-wheel car. I hardly heard any even when the school-type F2000s had silencers/mufflers on them (certain times had noise regulations). Being inside raw racecars with no silencing in the cockpit really is that loud. Same with the F1600, and those two type of cars are some of the quietest open-wheelers around.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Superbikes Isle of Man, now that is wind buffeting. ;)

Love the wind immersion with the Highway Patrol on Longford.

7. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

If you're in a full face helmet, sure. That cuts down about 90% of the wind noise (not all of it, there's still quite a bit). Without one though, it's deafening. The cobra and super 7 are about the worst cars I've ever driven in this regard, the "windshield" if you can call it that does not much. 80 to occasionally 100mph on the highway for 30 minutes was enough to effect your hearing for a few minutes after the drive, so nearly double that speed is just going to be worse. There's a couple recordings of it in my sig, even with a huge wind muff on the mic and the mic placed in the passenger foot well much further away from the wind than your head, the wind noise still overpowers the engine at anything above 60.

Which is all nill since this is a racing sim and you would have a full face helmet on at a track day which solves all of this. However the model in the isi cobra is certainly helmet-less :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Helmets when I'm riding my motorbike are pretty damn loud without earplugs...and they seem a bit better streamlined that car helmets lol

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wouldn't doubt you guys at all, I was just mainly referring to open-wheelers (and slower open-wheelers at that, not sure how it is with faster open/wheelers).

10. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

I get more wind noise from my PU (due to a faulty door seal), than I get from my 1300cc motorcycle with a windshield & wearing a half shell helmet. I've seen guys light a cigarette (Zippo lighter required) behind those windshields & carry on normal conversations with passengers at highway speeds.

it's the "barn door" stuck in the air stream that causes problems. a modern plexiglass windshield will allow moderate airflow over, under, around & thru while still providing a quiet spot for the rider. in an open cockpit race car, there is no attempt to control the air flow & the wind goes straight down the side of your head.

and for what it's worth, I would like to turn Wind Noise OFF in my game.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

I appreciate wind noise when the motor dies or runs out of fuel. Otherwise, yeah, the engine is louder in a race car... unless it's an electric.

Back in the day, the Cobra drivers wore goggles with their helmets. A minority had the motorcycle "bubble" full-face helmets.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The wind noise is still there, but the engine noise is so overpowering you don't think you hear it...just as when any other incredibly loud noise seems to overpower everything else.

We need a sim with proper wind noise that is separate, perhaps toggled for helmet on or off, that will work if we are driving a Cobra or a "silent" electric car.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, Mark, that would be really cool. How is wind noise currently modelled in RF2? Is it a per-car sample that just get's louder based on speed?

14. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

The Cobra AI don't drive on the banking at Brianza 10k, they stay down at the bottom. I haven't seen this behavior with any other cars, ISI or 3rd party. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried AI calibration, but that didn't help.

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I don't think only because the engine is louder you won't hear the wind sound anymore. Especially off throttle or under braking you hear it very clear. I think the difference in loudness have to be very drastic that your ear can't seperate those sounds anymore. In any other case music would be totally boring with different loud sounds in it.

16. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

well, if you hear stories about people in electric cars..... usually the first time they can't believe how loud the tyres+wind noise are (I haven't got such experience though, so don't know how it is myself ;) ). So that would make me think that if the engine is louder, you won't notice the wind noise nearly as much.

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

My own exprrience is above 100km/h wind is very loud in an open car. Also for normal closed cars you have to turn the radio very loud above 160km/h because of wind and tire noise.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Panoz had loud wind noise, something more realistic for open car for sure than Cobra, but it got so many complaints from people that they can't hear the engine sound on high speeds.

19. Emery

Emery Registered

Street cars are a different environment from race cars, much quieter. I've owned a Miata (MX-5), several Fiat 124 Spiders, and a Lancia Scorpion and, yes, you hear the wind noise. I've also raced in an MGB (ChumpCar series, so street muffler included) & Fiat X-1/9 and you hear the engine and opponents engine... until something breaks and there aren't any opponents nearby, then you might hear the motor.

Here, listen to our X-1/9 during a trackday and tell me how much wind noise you hear... a little wind buffeting of the camera's microphone is all I hear on the recording and you certainly don't hear it inside the helmet because the ears are protected:

20. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The "problem" with the Panoz is more the engine which is very quiet. Just driven it on Targa Florio[emoji6]