[REL] 1954 Endurance Sports Cars (modded Cobra) [v1300 2022-08-04]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by woochoo, Jul 28, 2017.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

woochoo and Corti like this.
  2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Corti and woochoo like this.
  3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I'm so pleased some leagues are giving it a try :)

pkelly likes this.
  4. Arnaud Plume

Arnaud Plume Registered

We - Old Drivers Spirit - will also race with this very nice mod. We are just waiting for the next physics update ;)

pascom, Mauro and Corti like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I hope for it to come in a couple of days. But I don't know if woochoo will have time so soon. I still have few things to do.

DaveS78, Bidle, pascom and 2 others like this.
  6. woochoo

woochoo Registered

i think i'll be able to find time if mantasisg is ready in the next few days.
    I'm exhibiting my game again (and possibly Longford) next weekend (not at the scale of PAX AUS tho), so either side of that should have a window open for the update :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    GPNeville, pkelly, pascom and 2 others like this.
  7. Corti

Corti Registered

Good news!!! thx guys ;)

pascom likes this.
  8. jjcook

jjcook Registered

you can drive them online us time wednesday night 830 est

they are really hard to keep solid on the track - the 3l seems almost impossible to drive

more practice needed

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think they really are just as any other car when it is driven too harsh for it's capabilities. Otherwise they aren't difficult even over the limit. I did have ton of practice though... I think updated cars will have a bit less severe fall off grip.

Arnaud Plume likes this.
  10. HSO_Frank

HSO_Frank Registered

It's great to have content that not only explores such overlooked (by modders) eras of motor racing history, but does so with such good physics - awesome stuff. I hope the next update won't diminish the challenging nature of the cars' behavior though ! It's so cool to finally have historic mods with such depth in physics, real beasts that need practice to be tamed and with which you feel like you always have a margin of progression. Not to mention they feel and behave like real 1950s sportscars as far as I can tell. Gotta love the limited setup range and the drum vs. disc brakes too !
    Full marks on this mod, probably my favourite thing in 12 years of rFactor racing and second only to GPL in my book as far as pure joy at the wheel is concerned. Any chance we can have a Lancia D24 or a Ferrari 500 Mondial one day ? How about some British Specials like the HWM-Jaguar, Cooper-Jaguar T33 or 2-litre Lister-Bristol ?

jimagn likes this.
  11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

v1240 available now on workshop :)
    A physics update from @mantasisg
    This update contains general changes to majority of cars for these parameters:
    • sliding friction
    • gear change time
    • caster
    • FFB level
    • suspension stiffness
    • car inertia
    • aerodynamic lift
    • brake bias
    • differential
    • engine braking
    • faster AI
    Some cars has more changes some less, a few cars remains remains barely changed.

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Any feedback/questions/suggestions about particular cars are welcome. Be gentle with them :)

pascom likes this.
  13. Christian Dauger

Christian Dauger Registered

Excellent mod. The behaviors seem coherent and realistic.
    2 remarks, on some cars, locking the wheels when braking seems impossible, whatever the speed ... (I tested very few cars, and I had this on 1)
    The possible engine rpm seems exaggerated for the time.(although I'm not an expert at the time)
    Red zone at 7000rpm but above all possible up to 8000rpm ... (without exploding the engine ... !!!)
    Otherwise, congratulations for the work!

woochoo, pascom and mantasisg like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah, rev limiter is something to check in the future, also stuff like fuel tank capacity is not researched for some cars, and some more stuff...

Braking is interesting subject with these cars as brakes were mostly drum technology, just some cars were discs, and discs technology was underdeveloped there was many issues with them. I think it is realistic that there might not have been a lot of tires locking from braking back then. In case of it not being true there are some variables to work on, possibly tire grip might be little too high (which everyone always wants more), possibly there could have been more braking power, possibly brake fade was less severe, but if there was more braking power I believe braking fade could have only been stronger too. Tires possibly having too much grip would be my bet, because I think that braking distances are already on the shorter side, rather than longer. Also I'd say the laptimes are slightly on the better side too, but I also took it in account that gear shifting was hell of a thing back then, plus cars were not exactly indestructable. Brake fade also works against locking brakes, because braking force decreases as brakes overheat, technically it is automatic trail braking :D

pkelly, Seven Smiles and woochoo like this.
  15. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Great job on the update! Thanks for all the work. I just wish I had time to drive this mod hour after hour, day after day.

HSO_Frank and woochoo like this.
  16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

The brakes and tyres will be a lot of guesswork as the technology on even the most faithful historic racer is so much better than it was back in the day (always assuming you are trying to simulate performance as it was in the 50s). I chatted to a mechanic for one of the McLaren CanAm cars and he said they needed better braking as the engine was now pushing out over 100 BHP more than they did at the time.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    mantasisg likes this.
  17. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I was just recently watching a youtube video of the LeMans Classic. The commentators were making similar statements that the same cars are faster today due to the advancement in tires and engine building.

I haven't had an opportunity to drive the update yet. But am looking forward to it

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I also watched one Chris Harris video recently where he drove old heavy underpowerd saloon Mercedes-Benz in Nordschleife historics event. He spoke with engineer, and he did mention running new dampers, didn't say what properties are actually unwelcome in older design. But I was expecting that dampers technology might have been less sophisticated in 50s-60s haha. Also I remember Niels Heusinkveld in Goodwood Revival chat dropped a note that cars does seem to be stiffer than they were. Naturally it all makes sense, that if tires can tolerate more abuse then they could possibly work well with stiffer chassis/suspension. I watched one video about dampers recetly, and it was pointed out that the fluid could possibly overheat, so thats interesting.

Oh and one more thing..... When I adjust brake pressures for my cars I go with rather low pressures as default setup, because I don't run load cell pedals. I just thought that perhaps if someone is having lack of braking would set brake pressure higher, then perhaps could even lock some tires a bit, as for example - for Jaguar D-type, doesn't suffer from fade like drums, and also if you don't set camber to neutral then it runs positive camber by default :D I am looking for ways how to make these tires less camber sensitive, so you could run positive camber and still get the contact patch relatively fine..

jimagn likes this.
  19. jimagn

jimagn Registered

With narrow tires from 1954, camber may not have been as important?

20. Marko

Marko Registered

Hello mantasisg

Awesome job you are doing.
    I did notice change on Bristol 450 caster, i loved it on highest settings, now i have to lower it, but cannot match lap times on Goodwood with older version, so still learning.
    I also notice slight brake behaviour change on this car, i have minilockups, where i havent had it before, but could be also that league track is back on green after mod update.
    Can you elaborate changes done on this car, just for curiosity?

Marko

Corti likes this.