#10YearsOFrFactor Conversions Released for rF2!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Aug 31, 2015.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Source: http://rfactor.net/web/2015/08/31/10yearsofrfactor-conversions-released-for-rf2/

rFactor is ten years old. Can you believe it? Although we released the software in various forms before our official release on August 31, 2005, this is our 'official' Birthday!

Happy Birthday to rFactor! Feel free to share any of your memories using #10YearsOFrFactor - we'd love to read more, whether they are from rFactor 1, 2, or even Pro. ;)

Background:
    We've been doing a number of tests with gJED over the past few weeks, and our car and track teams decided to release one of their quick experiments. We figure that if we can get some of the original content into rF2 as quick as we did (a few hours), some of those better looking rF1 mods should get some serious consideration now within the community. gJED is perfect for this kind of thing.

Download the Kodi ZR - 78MB
    Download Sardian Heights - 38.9MB

What is gJED?
    gJED is the new mesh and materials property editor for gMotor2-based applications. gJED allows for real-time editing of gMotor2 content created in any content editor which can export the FBX file format. Content creators are no longer tied to a single platform (3DS Max).

gJED is a real-time DirectX application built using the same engine and shaders as rFactor2, and therefore has most of the same graphical options as rFactor2. Much of the operation of gJED is similar to that of the latest gMotor2 plugins for 3DS Max.
    Read more: http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=GJED

When can I get gJED?
    Before the end of this week. (WB 8/31/15). It won't be released as 1.0, but we really need more eyes and clicks on it soon.

Car and Track Info:
    The Sardian Heights and Kodi ZR are a track and car from the original rFactor racing simulation, released in 2005. We converted them to rFactor 2 using the tools we make available to modders including gJED and our SDK/Mod Mode.

Visually they will certainly have a retro look, but technically the content does support rFactor 2 technology like our advanced tire model, chassis flex, realroad (changing track surface grip) and 3D animated corner workers.

The Kodi ZR is a road car with a myriad of racing and tuning options (almost 60 tuning options) up to a full racing specification. It's huge fun to throw it around any racetrack.

Sardian Heights is a street course carved out between medium-sized buildings. Similar to Macau or Monaco it has a track width that can vary and most certainly requires a lot of care to lap cleanly in traffic...

Configuration options:
    The Kodi ZR, in the true rFactor style, comes with an epic (almost 60) tuning options. There are three class packages that include a selection from three rear wings, three side skirts, three front end (aero) packages, three rear end (aero) packages, three tire options, three suspension types, two different steering options (standard and drifting), three brake disc selections, three hoods, two horn variants, four exhausts, two computer chips, four engines, three clutch options, three flywheels, four transmission options, two differentials, two fuel tank sizes and two cockpit layout variants (that can be further adjusted by removing weight from the cockpit under weight reduction).

Sardian Heights comes with two configurations: Short is 0.84 miles, Long is 1.58 miles. Both streetcourses, obviously.

2. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Happy birthday :)

4. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

congratulations, I believe is the first simulator fact we had and it appeared others, rFactor 1, 2 revolutionized his times

5. 88mphTim

6. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Happy Birthday rFactor!! :D
    It's been a brilliant ten years. Can't wait to see what the next ten will bring.

Thanks for the new releases, ISI. Can't believe you're giving us birthday presents!

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Happy birthday to rFactor! :)

And yeah, thanks for giving us presents. ;)

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Happy birthday. Great presents and great proof-of-concept for gJED.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Five minute test using Kodi with all default settings at Portugal 2.0:

Ah, the memories. Team Green was what I always picked when I drove this car in rF1 :)

Tires on AI vehicles are reflecting the road surface.

I am seeing white flashes in the tail lights of the AI cars. Looks like those police cars that have the LED's embedded into the tail lights. Once you move close enough, it disappears and you see only red. Does not coincide with brake light usage.

A bit of a strange white reflection effect in the headlights, too. Appears at many angles as though one headlight is on and the other not, but it's a reflection.

Rear end feels too light relative to the front end. But I think I say that same thing about every ISI car.

CPM feels great.

FFB is just slightly lighter than my preference. Not sure if it tightens-up on the higher classes (with fatter tires, different steering ratios, etc.)? If so, then it's fine as-is here replicating power steering in a road car.

The interior reminds just how far we've come in 10 years!

The sound was ahead of it's time 10 years ago. Proof: it's still OK now.

Sardian Heights:

I hope someone does some high res banners and textures!

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Take it around Lost Valley

11. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Sardian Heights:
    I hope someone does some high res banners and textures!

Is SLN still around?

Thanks and Congrats ISI!

12. 88mphTim

Real question? Yes, he is Luc Van Camp, on the ISI track team...

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

You mean Luc? yeah...working for ISI :)

14. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Here to the guys who sacrificed their time doing it before gJED *toast

15. Depco

Depco Registered

Oh... this bodes well for converting tracks quickly with better quality... Maybe we can get some Stock car content to hold us over until ISI releases the Gen6 cars. I have some friends on the fence with buying rF2 but are holding off as they want Oval races.

As far as memories I have only been Sim racing and using rF2 for about 1.5 years. However, my favorite memory in all of sim racing was a league race using the URD DTM mod around Hockenheim. It was a 60 min race and it had rained during Qual, thereby wetting the track significantly. To make matters worse we had set realroad to something close to 1X. At the start of the race everyone was on intermediate tires. About 25 minutes into the race I began to see the dry line coming up on the track. It was faint but definitely there. I was in awe of how it came up slowly with each lap. And that it was only on the commonly used line.

As we continued past the 30 minute mark people were starting to think about pitting for tires and gas. The dry line had come up enough to make slicks an attractive option, however the sky was still menacing and rain was possible... I chose to keep the intermediate tires. Others decided to chance slicks. The rain came again, a very short burst but enough to completely obliterate the dry line.

I was catching the racer in front of me by some seconds with each lap due to him having slick tires and not wanting to pit for intermediates. On the last lap I had caught him and was looking for a passing opportunity. His defense was sound and I was unable to get past him cleanly for the podium finish I wanted. But boy, what and experience.

To this day I have not had a race that was so exhilarating. The fact that the weather played such a role in the race was fantastic. And it can be had nowhere but rF2.

Fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

HAPPY BiRTHDAY rFactor

17. Rik

Rik Registered

18. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you ISI

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear rFactor. Happy birthday to youuuuu!
    Hope I don't have to pay a license fee to Warner Bros, because they have the rights for the song.[emoji12]

20. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Thanks ISI for the conversion.
    Is the qJED program compatible with 3DSimEd or is it a similar type of program?