100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Max Melamed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Zizza

Zizza Registered

similar problem for me...

I have the gpu to 100% ... and the cpu to 20% on your first core.... the other cores are at 0
    with Eyefinity I reach 40fps.....

without Eyefinity Instead, the framerate increases to 60fps but the cpu is always at 20% while the other core to 0

I5-760 and HD6970

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Have you tried monitoring graphics cards memory usage? With nVidia cards it can be done with app called "nVidia Inspector". Your card's memory can be just enough at the start of the lap but not enough when rest of the track textures are being added. Just an idea though...

3. MJP

MJP Registered

+1 to what Angelo mentions.

Also I must add your 1st pic is on a relatively fps friendly part of the track whereas the 2nd pic definitely isn't. Also are those offline pics because if so then you could be in trouble with that level of purple bar when you go online.

I don't know if you're using any of the sync options but have you tried experimenting with these lines in the PLR? The first 2 in particular should hopefully limit the severity of the fps drop whilst in the vicinity of the pit area.
    Code:
    Garage Detail="0.50000" // LOD multiplier when vehicle is in garage (0.01-1.00)
    Auto Detail Framerate="0" // Details and visible vehicles will be automatically reduced (by up to half) if framerate is under this threshold (0 to disable)
    Max Framerate="0.00000" // 0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)

4. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

I have heard reports of this issue, but I have not been able to see it happen, even on setups that I would consider 'overloaded'. E.g. - Phenom II quad core @ 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 560Ti 1 GB, Win 7 - a mid-level machine. Running 20 F2s, 10 visible, everything on Max, all reflections on - this is overloaded for this machine (only max out settings if your GPU has more than 1 GB.) GPU-Z shows all memory used and GPU load @ 90-99%. Yet, CPU core usage is as expected, around 40-50% total, with usage distributed among all cores. And, frame rate is from 50-80 fps, steady, no slow-motion or maxed out purple bar. So this rig is handling this OK.

Since rF2 is a dual-thread app, there is no way that the rF2 app itself can drive more than 2 cores to 100%. And, you will only see two cores @ 100% if you have a dual-core CPU, or if you set our affinity to 2 cores. Otherwise, the Win 7 scheduler will move the threads around to the various cores according to some complex scheduling rules. Perhaps there is some specific machine/driver interaction causing this problem, I can't yet duplicate it, but I will keep trying.

5. Potatoes

Potatoes Registered

I've had a similar issue with 100% CPU usage while racing in RF2. Jumps once i hit track, in all car and track combos.

Specs:
    i5 2500K 3.3GHz
    GTX 465 2GB GDDR5
    4GB DDR3 1333

6. demik

demik Registered

Not sure if it is the same issue, but it seems that this issues kill CPU with nvidia card and kill GPU with ATI. Most settings on medium to low, and fps drop from 90 to 20 without reasons. (60 to 15 with vsync). With sync on, while going from 60 to 15 for, GPU usage increase from 60 to 100% (config in profile)

Disabling shadows makes the issues less present, as do running with less cars on the track.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I also have terrible performance and very high CPU usage lately. I haven't played a lot of rF2 since the new build because the game runs like ****. I was in the 60-70 FPS range in the old builds, now I have to turn settings down to get half that. Reflections (Environment and road) are causing a drop from 30-36 FPS to 23-28 FPS. Plus it's not smooth, it's jumpy.

Not impressed with this build at all. You guys are moving in the wrong direction.

8. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Just to give you one more example, all my 4 cores are effected by rf2. when i look up their usage in Task Manager, they mostly are near 100 % - all of them
    View attachment 3381
    in this graph, the beginning and the end is where i Alt-Tabed in and out of RF2, so the middle is where i raced.
    EDIT: i didn't fiddle with the affinity, so it should be at 2 cores as default!?