1:1 Through a simple controller json edit

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Skan, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Skan

Skan Registered

It seems my 1:1 video does not help everyone having a problem making their steering 1:1 so I have decided to give everyone simple edit to do to a file. For those that do not know, the steering representation of your hands on the wheel and the wheel's movement is not simply visual. That is how your front wheels are turning, thus producing unwanted spinouts and other seemingly random driving oddities.

now open your "controller.json" and look for this line...
    "Steering Wheel Range":.....,
    "Steering Wheel Range#":"Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)",

Your number will be different. Replace it with the number in degrees that your wheel rotates. YOUR wheel.

now save that and open rfactor 2. Your hands should match unless you have made so many adjustments that you have to start from the default.

I did not want to type this method because the method provided by the current UI works, my explanation on how to use it properly failed. This is the exact same thing and result as doing it properly through the current UI.

Now everyone that was not fully enjoying rF2...you can.... and all without all those , never mind, you will see.

feel free to translate, share, copy, pretend you wrote it, etc..... just as long as you remember to smile.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

I didn't find any Steering Wheel Range in my player.JSON.
    It is in my Controller.JSON
    It's set at 700, as it is ingame, so should this be 350 or 700 ?

SS

3. Skan

Skan Registered

The exact rotation of your wheel. I edited the original post to remove the confusion I might have caused.

4. Skan

Skan Registered

For those that do not know the degrees of rotation of the wheel they use......

Logitech G25, 27, 920, 92 = 900
    Logitech Momo USB = 270 (just know that everything else on this list is wet garbage compared to this wheel)
    Thrustmaster = most newer ones are 1080 in drift mode and 900 otherwise
    Fanatec CSL elite = 1080° of rotation which can be adjusted in the tuning menu of the attached Steering Wheel
    Fanatec Clubsport 2.5 = 900
    Bodnar = 1500 degrees of rotation. That is awesome. Any Bodnar owners who didn't have 1:1 before, please type back here as to the difference. I am slightly jealous of the Bodnar owners.

In all honesty, there are too many wheels to list. Luckily, it is very easy to find this information.
    Those are just a few examples. Just be sure to put the real number of degrees in rotation.

5. Skan

Skan Registered

I received an email asking at what their wheel profiler rotation should be set at. That is easy... default. If your wheel has different options, go with the higher number.

Now do what I typed in the first post.
    Incase that cannot be seen for whatever reason:

open your "controller.json" and look for this line...
    "Steering Wheel Range":.....,
    "Steering Wheel Range#":"Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)",

Your number will be different. Replace it with the number in degrees that your wheel rotates. YOUR wheel. Your default rotation. Do not deviate from that number.

6. Carr

Carr Registered

I must be missing something as I don't see the point of doing this as the controller.json is automatically updated to what you have set in the in-game settings. Why do it manually?

Ho3n3r likes this.
  7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I'm wondering the same thing. You can already set it in-game, why bother with this instruction?

8. Skan

Skan Registered

Because some people are having trouble getting their wheel 1:1. Because some people are having trouble understanding why this is important. Look at all the videos of people's arms crossing.... if you think that is how it is supposed to be, you are mistaken. If you think that uncalibrated arm crossing flailing is not the main cause of countless "problems" you are mistaken.

9. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

They need to set the degree of rotation manually in their profile as it shows ingame to get the correct FFB and visual 1:1. That should be done automaticly.

Degrees.jpg

The degree of rotation is different per car.
    Examples:
    - F3.5: 553 degree
    - Howston Dissenter: 900 degree
    - Go-karts: 187 degrees.
    - USF2000: 480 degrees
    - Renault Megane: 612 degrees
    - SkipBarber: 407 degrees
    - McLaren 650S GT3: 538 degrees

These degrees of rotation come from the steering rack in the cars physics. That's why it's important set the correct degrees of rotation in the wheel profiler to get the propper FFB feel.

Some wheels don’t recieve the correct “Steering wheel range” from the game:
    The G27 has an issue with this at the moment (It's a rF2 or logitec Issue/bug)

Ofcourse you can dissable the "vehicle set" and experiment yourself, but this is not the default way of doing things.

If your wheel doesn't have the degree of rotation like a (Logitech Momo USB = limited to 270). Your workaround might work for those wheels. But it's certainly not the recommend way of doing things.

10. Skan

Skan Registered

They do not have to set degrees manually by car. What I typed is not a workaround for anything. See the L, C, R on your screen shot under the wheel? They say min or max on other versions. Some people do not use that the 1 and only 1 time they need to use it to calibrate the wheel or the pedals...see they have the same button? So I typed a way to do it from the controller json. Do you really think I am the only one that does not have to change anything to drive different vehicles? I am trying to help those that do not want to needlessly adjust and rabbit hole themselves into frustration. If you want to change your settings everytime you drive, that's cool but please let me help those that want the help. Also, rF2 does exactly what you are trying to make it do if you let it.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have a G25, until Wednesday, I set the logitech controller utility to 900 degrees and that is what is reported by windows. Then I edited the controller.json and changed the previous setting from 540 to 900. saved it, & then loaded the game. In the controllers screen, it still shows 540 with no option to change it.

12. Carr

Carr Registered

@davehenrie If you can't change the rotation setting in game then you more than likely have the vehicle set box ticked. When ticked, it sets the steering rotation to be whatever is defined in the vehicle physics and is often what the real car runs on their steering rack. Some people like it, others don't, it is completely personal preference as to using it or not.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yes that is checked. I'll try again. thanks