Why is the Skip Barber so difficult if it's supposed to be a noob car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

both cars for me are nightmare
    ofcourse a good setup helps a lot but that challenging driving makes the whole thing interesting
    i use setup files that a forum member send me a few weeks ago
    both cars are the most beautifull cars compared to any other sim

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I find the Vee with a standard setup difficult to drive.

This is also the only car I find difficult among all S397 + Reiza cars.

By cons I never had the slightest problem with the Skip Barber (standard setup), even with an engine 2 times more powerful (modified HDV) and road tires.

3. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I'll attempt recording vee onboard, with random quit setup from memory.

IDK, it is of course not super easy, but I don't understand this demand for cars to be extra easy, it is simply unaccepting that the problem might as well be that bit which is behind the steering wheel.

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Just because it's hard to drive doesn't mean it's not realistic.

Like with Grand Prix Legends. People go "It's impossible to drive these cars!" no, you just can't drive.

Try to drive a Skippy like you'd drive another open wheel car, you WILL crash it.

6. Filip

Filip Registered

Why is Skip Barber so difficult?

English is not my native thong so maybe I misinterpret somethings:
    To skip barber means to avoid going to barber and then you become hairy.

hairy
    /ˈhɛːri/
    INFORMAL
    alarming and difficult.

That's why Skip Barber should be difficult.

Daniele Vidimari, mantasisg and Emery like this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

^^Thats pretty great explanation. And it is actually true, this car should make you hairy.

As well as Formula Vee, and I just was editing a video about Vee, but I managed to fail it with fade in/out effects for every cut....

Long story short...
    • You cant just jump in a Vee without getting used to it and attack the limit and win a race. Must get used to it, but after you know your way with it, it is very driveable.
    • Knowing how to tweak setup is important, or at least knowing how not to tweak it...
    • You can survive slides, and quite big ones, but it is scary.
    • You do have to be able to drive better than just O.K.

8. J853

J853 Registered

I don't find the vee as challenging as the skip barber.

I am curious if the real skip barber handles closer to the iRacing one or the rfactor one though. I have heard people say both ways.

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

iracing, in physics has much to be desired, only the competition system and half interest

10. J853

J853 Registered

The iracing skip barber seems to have less drop off with higher slip angles on the tyre, as well as more grip when it warms up (I think that it feels similar to the rfactor 2 one when the tyres are cold). I feel like the iracing is less punishing to drive when you make mistakes or if you need to make corrections to your line. The rfactor one transmits more feeling though the wheel.

This could also be related to conditions though, I know both sims model track states (ie. rfactor 2 has real road), but I am not sure if/how much either of them include track temperature in their calculations of grip. Track conditions can obviously make a massive difference in lap times and feel.

I haven't tried the assetto corsa skip barber. I have never really played assetto corsa much (although, I have heard from people that it is a good sim in general).

It has been interesting to do an experiment with the same car in different sims.... wish I could drive a real one!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  11. Filip

Filip Registered

Which skip barber are you referring to?
    In rf2 there are 2 versions that behave quite different.

12. J853

J853 Registered

The national

13. Ian Korf

Ian Korf Registered

I really like the Skip Barber with Regional tires. It's the most engaging car I've tried in this sim or any other (including AC, AMS, iR, pC, pC2, R3E). The feedback through the wheel is excellent.

atomed, softslider and Korva7 like this.
  14. softslider

softslider Registered

Me as well!

Have you driven Skip Barber in new Nordschleife? I feel the track grip is a little better than other tracks and driving Skip Barber there for me was never stressful and it was real joy. I'd like to recommend it. My fastest lap time was about 8:36 during initial 6 laps. But I believe others can make better lap time as I didn't make clean cornering at several corners.

15. Ian Korf

Ian Korf Registered

I haven't tried it there. I don't really like that track because it's just too damn long.

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I know it’s old thread, but I recently tried Skippy and Vee in iRacing and they handle nothing like in rf2. Way easier and forgiving in iRacing and people say Skippy handles similar to RL. Perhaps it’s a matter of newer version modeled in iRacing or partially cars’ setup , but I’m comparing default setups.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So you didn't change the tyres?

*p.s. some say the rF2 version is more realistic. Neener neener!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Even with National tires it’s definitely more difficult. iRacing version is much more forgiving.

19. shiet

shiet Registered

In the recent weeks the Skippy (with street tires) became my goto car amidst bunch of GT and LMP cars I've driven before. I've always hated the Skip in rF2 but somehow I rediscovered and I realized it has the best FFB ever in any racing sim. Seriously.
    I wouldn't call it a hard car to drive, it's just different than most other cars especially modern ones with lots of downforce and such. Quite a difference after GT3s... It's a car to teach driving exaggerating driver mistakes.
    You have to be very gentle with the brakes, the throttle and the steering wheel, can't just slam the pedals, in fact you almost always have to use at least a small amount of throttle in every corner to stabilize the rear, coasting is generally a bad idea with the Skip. Also I think my trail braking technique improved a lot since I'm driving this car because it had to.
    I watched a lot of onboard videos on youtube and the handling in rF2 seems OK, maybe the rear is a little bit less stable than in real life with the default setup but you can make it a little bit better with some setup adjusments and then the car handles like in the videos. Btw this car has all the weight in the rear, the front of the car is basically empty except your legs and the suspension so no wonder it behaves like this. It's a Porsche. :D
    The last I tried the Skip on iRacing was in 2017 I think, it was nothing like this, the rear end wasn't this "fragile", you could easily coast with that car but I remember it was more like the rF2 version before an update (between 2013 and 2017). Maybe they changed it to a better handling version to have cleaner races because with this car it's not easy to race, in fact in rF2 the AI is an idiot, kills me (and each other) a lot of times before I get a clean(ish) race. :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Yes the unstable rear is what it makes the car difficult to drive to me in rF2. Care to tell which setup adjustments make it more like in the videos?