Poor server performance, since update

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Gf.GEORGE, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Gf.GEORGE

Gf.GEORGE Registered

I have noticed since the update very poor server performance, when Locally Hosting a dedicated server with AI.
    Prior to the update I could host a server and race in the server from the same PC, without any noticeable degradation, with pings around 5~10ms for the AI cars and player cars around 20ms. (Dedicated Server and game started from the RF2 launcher) Now the pings blow out to above 300ms for the AI cars and the game suffers performance drops. When I'm NOT in the server the other (internet) players state the server seems to run fine with AI cars around 10~20ms for them. But once I enter the server the performance drops for everyone with the AI cars around the 300ms ping. This problem never existed previously using the same mod, on the same track, and with the same amount of AI and players.
    I believe this problem is caused by this update, because this is the only change to the SIM.
    Could you please provide a fix for this ASAP.

I wouldn't have to host a dedicated server if RF2 had what RF1 used to offer, which is Local Host option from within the game, but RF2 doesn't so we have been using this workaround (hosting a server) for years without any problems till now.
    Thanks
    George.

Balazs Varro likes this.
  2. knackko

knackko Registered

Hi,
    How is the CPU loaded in that case ?
    Do you have traces activated ?

Gf.GEORGE likes this.
  3. Gf.GEORGE

Gf.GEORGE Registered

Hi knackko,
    I will check the CPU load tomorrow, but I don't recall it being fully under load. When eyeballing the CPU bar. Is there better way to monitor this? Should I use gpuz log feature?

Also, what are you referring to "Do you have traces activated"? Then I can check that too.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Gf.GEORGE likes this.
  5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

In which way do you join your server?
    Do you join over the multiplayer button in the launcher and the serverlist or do you join over a launcher shortcut with the localhost ip?

6. Gf.GEORGE

Gf.GEORGE Registered

I join via the launcher, single player shortcut with the localhost ip and port number.

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry, i don't understand how that is meant.
    What i have meant is, if you did create a shortcut to the Launch rFactor.exe and in the target field of that shortcut, you use an entry that looks like this (the shown Port is the default one):
    "..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe" +multiplayer +connect="127.0.0.1:64297"
    or if your server has a password:
    "..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe" +multiplayer +connect="127.0.0.1:64297" +password XYZ
    And then, when you want to join your server, you don't open the launcher, but doubleclick on that shortcut, to join the server.
    Is it that what you are doing?

If it is that what you are doing, what happens when you join the server over the launchers multiplayer button and the server list?
    Do you cause the same high ping then too?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. Gf.GEORGE

Gf.GEORGE Registered

I use the launcher. In the launcher, under settings there is a command line for each shortcut where you can save +multiplayer+connect="127.0.0.1:64297".
    I save it under single player shortcut.

When I join the server the ping is fine, it's when I hit the track (click the race button) that it starts, after 30 to 60 seconds into practicing it climbs to around 300ms, and remains like that till I leave the race.

I have check the CPU load and all seems fine, even when the AI pings are at 300ms, so I'm lost at what it could be.