Let's discuss the upcoming competition system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remco Majoor, Aug 25, 2019.

1. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Then there's the whole 'you have to have whole pack or can't race' thing. If they can set it so you only need one car, that might help.

But I think 99% of us have the packs in their entirety anyway.

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

for 22 euro's you have the entire GTE field, with LMP3/2 and Hyper car. That's less than 2 cars in iRacing. That's why iRacing has to do that thing. I don't think it's reasonable to expect rF2 to do that as well. It's not expensive at all to get the entire ' WEC' car pack. for 30 euro's you've got 10 GT3 cars.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

This is what I said when the Two Strong Pack came out. I paid £6.10 for it, and two cars for half an iRacing car.

Yet people complained about having to pay for it.

Levelup1, F1 2004 and Remco Majoor like this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The thing is, you can't rely on the knowledge of your customers on how to set up a server and hope and cross your fingers that they get it right. Saying " But if users actually used the system yadda yadda yadda ..." is the completely wrong approach. Shoulda coulda woulda are your worst enemies, if you want to offer a smooth user experience and make your product a success in mulitplayer racing. I know, it sounds like some marketing bs that you read in economy books, but it is the hard truth.

The whole new UI, comp system and hosting system need to be easy to use for both the people setting up the server and for the people joining the server. It needs to be foolproof and nothing else. And it starts with simple stuff. Example: why is it so much more difficult to setup an online race in rF2 compared to setting up your common single player race right now while you essentialy do the same thing - selecting a track and car combo, adjust session settings and click race/host? Both processes need to follow the same approach, using the same UI architecture and reading that S397 got rid of the launcher makes me feel optimistic. Currently hosting a dedicated server for rF2 feels like running a completely different software and even games from 15 years ago managed to offer better solutions. PC2 has it's own issues, but in that regard their system is much better. Every idiot can host a server with that sim without having to read forum posts or guides and hosting a race, SP or MP works exactly by the same standards.

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

So, I've talked with Marcel today at sim racing expo, and I've asked some stuff about the competition system.

• It will feature a rating system, but they want it with only 1 rating system (no separate safety rating)
    • They are wanting to create a kind of ladder system (but they can always change that around and fine tune it)
    • There will be competitions with live stewarding, and ones without
    • They can do competitions iracing style (race every 2/4 hours), but also like 1/2 races a week, but not every week
    • Races can have a race 1 and 2, with reversed grid
    • Splits can be split by best and worst rating, but also in a tournament mode where p1/3/5 are in a split, and p2/4/6, with after that a 'finale'. The system is very flexible.
    • Protests, when there are live stewards, will get to the stewards directly, so they can penalise in the race
    • Penalties are preferably effecting race results (time penalties if penalized after the race)
    • If you join a competition without having all the content, it will subscribe you to the workshop item, or if its paid DLC, navigate you to the best deal for that competition (think like packs)
    • The competition system will for now only have official races. When that works good enough, they will open it up to leagues etc
    • They are still not sure, but they are thinking about you being able to rent a server for leagues etc
    This is all subject to change btw. Marcel is always very open about this stuff, but sometimes things don't go as planned. So the points above might change over time if a thread like this comes up with better ideas, or if they find problems with things.

azwris, TJones, avenger82 and 5 others like this.
  6. Rasmus H Andreasen

Rasmus H Andreasen Registered

@TCLF We pretty much nailed it with that video.
    Can't wait for the system to be released. Big game changer for rFactor 2!

Remco Majoor likes this.
  7. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

Sounds good. I hope it will be possible to have clean races if no safety rating will be available. Otherwise you will have all the problems with crashkiddies and way too offensive drivers we today face in every Sim except for iRacing. Hope you guys are aware of @Marcel Offermans

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think it's a big myth that iRacing offers cleaner racing. I have been playing iRacing for about a month now even racing against people with 4000+ iRating with quite high safety rating and it has been a hit and miss experience as in any other sim. I have seen no race where there haven't been huge pile ups. And this whole lisence based on safety rating thing makes it actually much more of a trying to survive than to race experience, wich is the whole point. Having nice wheel to wheel racing with a few scratches here and there just penalizes you. At the same time I have seen cleaner public lobbies in PC2 running GT3 with damage off :D

Remco Majoor likes this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

As @hitm4k3r said, iRacing races are not cleaner. You don't get race affecting penalties there, so people don't care about SR when they go for iR. This is why I'm happy to see S397 chase down race penalties, which indirectly affects their own rating.

10. Patrick Schumacher

I disagree with you guys. But it's okay, everyone should make his/her own experiences.

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

But at the same time- With no SR, there won't be idiots crawling round at the back being all "gotta up my safety rating" and causing crashes that way.

License should be based on your racing ability not by your survival skills.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  12. Patrick Schumacher

Perhaps in the lower levels some guys are doinig that this way. But normally not in the more interesting series like IMSA or Le Mans since all are on a higher rank and it's just about racing.

If it works without SR.. it's fine with me. I just have my concerns.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I remember local guys participating in those more interesting series: crashed out almost always.

14. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yeah, even I've done it :rolleyes:

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

When you're splashing all that money on your subscription and content in iRacing safety rating makes sense. They can boot those that are constantly (or deliberately) hitting people.

16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

The can do that with a normal rating as well

17. azwris

azwris Registered

Guys, how is someone informed about the schedule of the upcoming events?

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Via the appropriate threads in the competition section, announcements channel in discord, and the launcher news panel.