New nVidia drivers with lower input lag are available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonelsorell, Aug 28, 2019.

1. jonelsorell

jonelsorell Registered

Nvidia said the ultra low latency mode has three settings. ‘Off’ sets the game engine to queue 1 to 3 frames for maximum render throughput (and more latency). ‘On’ limits the pre-rendered frames to 1, which Nvidia said is the equivalent of running “Max_Prerendered_Frames = 1” on older drivers. The last setting is ‘Ultra,’ which spits the frame out to the GPU in “just in time” for the render to begin.

The company said the mode is most effective at times when the game is GPU-bound, and frame rates are hovering between 60 fps and 100 fps. The mode should work in “all” GeForce GPUs in DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 games. The blog post said DirectX12 and Vulkan let the game decide when to queue frames for rendering, so the driver would have no control over lowering latency.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/343...proves-performance-latency-and-sharpness.html

Tested in rf2, BeamNG Drive and AC. Seems good.

Enjoy!

Ernie, Alex72 and memoNo1 like this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I did some VR Benchmarks on this the other day, my findings and results:

VR Pre Rendered Frames needs to be App Controlled, setting to 1 makes the Low Latency Option Void as all results came out the same. Kinda suggests they may do away with the Pre Rendered Option in future unless other HMDs make use of it.
    If you get 90fps anyway then I don't think changing the Latency option is gonna do much, my tests today proved at 90 all Results came out similar, I think it'll mainly help if you dip into the 80s (or further below) as then it has a "use" so to speak.

Lower the Graph = Better (lamens terms!), Column info below shows the FPS is far improved on ULTRA, remember everyone's system is different so what may be good on mine may not be good on yours :)

Latency_-_nVidia_Setting.png
    Latency_-_nVidia_Setting_-_Numbers.png

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

What about GSYNC monitors, anyone have some info?

4. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Are you measuring input latency or frame render time?

5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks for the info, buddy.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Frametime.

7. PabloVND

PabloVND Registered

Set to ultra equals pre-redered frames to zero I think. Definitely lower input lag in a g-sync compatible monitor here but probarbly on any kind of it. Works for all apps and games tested and is almost like getting rid of v-sync for second time. The side effects only just a little micro sttuter sometimes in a crowded replay at start of race and pretty much unoticeable. Now will never back to standard setting or prerendered frames. Vsync and prerendered frames are the worst think in videogames and simulations and they last there for decades when at the same time tech brings you bells and whistels. Completely incomprehensible.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    CamiloNino, jonelsorell and Korva7 like this.
  8. jonelsorell

jonelsorell Registered

Actually I'm surprised that tearing is a thing of the past on my rig (4790k/1070). So.. thanks to nVidia for bringing back what was there a few years ago (0 pre-rendered frames).