Extra time on pc Sims brings no benefit to real life, says sainz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

2. slatanek

slatanek Registered

Smug Spaniard hits back again!

I'd say for an F1 driver there's no benefit to drive rally cars (Kubica is the best example here) and saying that sims don't benefit Lando is saying nothing. Maybe if Sainz himself would drive more sims instead of throwing a rally car in the mud he wouldn't be scrapping for some mid of the pack positions.

Rui Santos likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

Very odd comment, considering that Norris as rookie has out-qualified Sainz 8-4 this season. The fact is, the benchmark of the young generation, Verstappen and now Norris both came from a strong sim racing background. If you think how little time you actually get to spend driving a real race car on track, practicing with sim racing makes all the more sense to me.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

It's all a matter of perspective.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Different people learn in different ways. I think what Sainz is missing is that Norris & Verstappen are racing people, gaining racecraft, rather than just hotlapping.

6. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Send him a proper rig and a multiplayer sim.

7. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Just because he is an F1 driver doesn't make his opinion correct.
    If you look objectively without any bias the advantages of playing simulator far outweigh disadvantages hence it will always be better to play a PROPER SIM
    with decent vehicle dynamics,A.I and ofcourse healthy online communities.
    Any good sim racer will give them quite a challenge in online race you don't even have to be an alien to be good at RACECRAFT.
    If physics are good enough it will also help them to keep tuning the skills as no matter how great the driver you still need practice to keep yourself in shape.

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Generaly speaking, opinions can't be right or wrong. So his opinion might be as valid as yours or mine. The question is if we have empirical data to say that sim racing helps to improve racecraft. There certainly is a reason why most teams invest so heavily into sims but it stands to prove if some drivers might be able to get around it. In that regard I would actually be interested to see someone like Sainz having a go at sim racing to see if his performance gets better, so someone who hasn't done any sim racing before. Ofcourse we all could say, that Lando and Max are perfect examples for the recent success of sim racing, but there still is the question if they wouldn't be as good as they are now if they were just normal racers. Maybe their skill is just the result of years in karting and experience gained in the sequent categories. Who knows ... :)

9. Comante

Comante Registered

Depending what is the purpose of the training, I think you don't even need a "high end" simulator to improve your driving skill.
    There are many facets in the skill of a race driver, and only a few depend on "physics". Beside learning to handle the car (that is of course better learnt in the real world) learning where, when and how to overtake, learning to keep focus on the whole picture, learning to deal with opponents around you, are skill that can be trained even on videogames. Even just learning the general flow of a new track can be done on a decent videogame, without needing laserscans or RFpro.
    High end simulation is useful when you want to refine setup or test new aero components or help the driver refine his knowledge of the track before a race, but probably you can't learn to drive fast here if you can't already do it.

Filip likes this.
  10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The headline and the title of this thread are misleading with respect to what Sainz actually said.
    He said he does "plenty of simulator time" at McLaren" and he doesn't think the "extra time" Llando does at home gives him an edge.
    He justifies that by saying that it's not making Llando faster in the simulator (than him).
    Inherent in those comments is that simulator performance is an important measure and that they both practice there.

If he did actually say what is claimed in the headline it would make for an interesting conversation between him and Rudy Van Buren about Rudys last 18 months where sims got him a job at McLaren, got him a pretty promising Porsche Supercup debut and a drive at the upcoming 24 hours of the Nordschleife.
    Jamie Chadwick the W series winner goes to a sim facility before every race weekend to rehearse the weekend procedures.
    On a more modest level I use RF2 to learn and practice on upcoming tracks for MX5 Supercup - Super Series in the UK.

But it's OK we don't need to argue the value of sims because Sainz didn't dismiss them as touted by the thread title.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Filip, MarcG, mantasisg and 1 other person like this.
  11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

He states home sims aren't beneficial. Iracing rf2 etc.

So title isn't misleading posted in a rf2 thread.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Well said.

I would add that F1 driver probably won't learn much driving techniques in a sim but to average people who don't race irl it certainly is useful.

LokiD likes this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Title is very misleading. Sainz didn't say that at all, he said that this extra time driving is not necessary beneficial. Anyway even if the thread title is misleading, there is still little critical thinking from the side of Sainz. How can he tell if Lando does not win skill, can he compare lando that uses simulators at home, and Lando that does nto do that ? I don't think so. Also Lando might be doing something else than F1, right ? I guess he gets enough at Mclaren sim, just my guess.

14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Very diplomatic of you :)
    And I only identify as a girl on a Monday.

slatanek and Korva7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.