A new simracing challenge craze !!1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Aug 24, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Have you heard about this new exciting popular simracing challenge ? Forget that pointless 100% FFB challenge. Now 100% no brakes challenge is the real deal.

The rules of the challenge:
    • Take any car at any track, though some strategic consideration could make a lot of difference. Certainly not a modern F1 car at classic spa @AMillward :D
    • Do your best laptime with using brakes.
    • Then try to do best possible laptime without a single touch of a brake pedal.
    • Don't use AI or walls as brakes.
    • Compare laptimes and find out how much time brakes win for you.
    Good luck, have fun.

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

That's an easy choice...1937 F1....they don't have brakes anyway.....:) Fred Flinstone's car stops quicker.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

As a modder of Mercedes W125 I disagree, but at some degree it is true, for example you are often causing understeer on purpose to win bonus braking power when turning :D

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes, and Neil Peart should do a drum solo without using any cymbals.....

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think it is nice idea for a fun challenge for yourself... this drummer analogy is quite poor to be honest.

I know a guy who did this challenge IRL in a race. He used shift lock to spin the car initially when his brakes suddenly were lost, and then did some laps in a race to actually finish the race.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What, you mean some people haven't done this already just out of curiosity? I think I've done it at least 5 times over the years :D

Then there was the time my teammate lost his brakes at Spa on the last lap, and with the time gap behind I decided to honour our first corner agreement and let him stay ahead. All went well until the very final chicane, when I went too deep on cold brakes (had hardly needed them all lap, since he didn't have any in front of me) and got beached on a kerb at the chicane. 2nd -> 7th as I floundered in a cloud of smoke. But I digress.

mantasisg likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah I suppose it was done, but I never done that untill yesterday for some reason. Immediately thought about 100% FFB challenge, and how this is much more entertaining to do :D By the way learned that brakes actually warms up a bit even when not using them, I guess they warm up a bit from tires radiating heat.

And that is awesome story, I wonder how your team mate lost brakes ? I actually did not know before that you can loose brakes here. It is so ironical that you failed at the end with cold brakes :D

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've never known that to be true, there's definitely no parameters governing such a heat transfer. Brake heat radiating to tyres is one of the real life things rF2 is missing.

He was just harder on brakes than I was, and in F1 mods you run them as hot as will last for the race distance. That particular incident was back in rF1 but the same applies in rF2. The brakes are wearing any time you use them, with parameters defining their wear based on current thickness, applied pressure and current disc temperature. Many mods don't make wear an issue, but if you're simulating F1 you need to make it a factor or you're not doing it properly :)

mantasisg likes this.
  9. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

It happened to me many times with the Formula Renault, 2 times at Singapore and the last one at Baku, all the times in the last minutes of the race. I challenge you to finish a race at Baku or Singapore without front brakes or with only one working at the front :D

mantasisg likes this.
  10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Spa 66 you still need the brakes... For two corners...

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You are successful simracing youtuber, how much such challenge with good entertaining combo would be attractive to people to watch ? I mean max FFB challenge somehow was big.

What about more challenges ideas that would be playful way to explore extremes of simulations ? People usually seem to be interested in various weird things. But I am bad at predicting popularity of anything...

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

How about "Will it drift" challenge?

Alex72 likes this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

That would definitely be interesting. Some cars just should not drift, so it would be very interesting.

Also following that "will it roll ?"

Korva7 likes this.
  14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I guess I am, but any time I do post something sim racing related, I get 900 requests for story time :p

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would suggest you to do this "no brakes" thing for entertainment, but almost everything what I am really interested or believe in always fails to be popular, so yeah. Maybe don't do that actually :D

16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I'm looking to get the Ferrari F1 Thrustmaster rim soon to do the Robert Kubica challenge. Only shifting with the left rocker paddle.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

OMG! You reminded me of the time I boiled the brake fluid in my real life Focus ST in less than 5 minutes doing laps on a kart track this past spring due to the e-diff. Thought for sure I was headed for the weeds, but there was just enough grip to make it around the corner! E-diffs (torque vectoring) suck.

18. vitto

vitto Registered

Mantasisg, from the challenge with the regulation that you propose, it would seem that you do not know or are not interested in nascar competitions, for example on oval super speedway circuits like Talladega, Daytona the brakes are mainly used in the case of the yellow flag or during the return to the pits , in these races it's all about knowing how to use the accelerator perfectly and, as far as this (the accelerator) is concerned, they are the best school to learn how to use it.

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well for the challenge it is free choice what to pick, it is not competition. If you want challenge you'll use tight track, if you are "smart" you'll use F1 at oval and will only fool yourself.

I shared this IMO interesting idea on reddit, but since it is just advertisement place for gear it didn't work there, I also was trolled immediately about these oval track. TBH I don't know who invented ovals in the first place, and I don't want to know why people are interested in them :D

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I boiled the brakes in a Fiesta 'testing' the ABS at 145kph.

I was testing the car for Ford, was amazed by the smooth ride, looked at the speedo and was doing 90mph (144)

Luckily I was on an airfield.