Rf2? How do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Rf2 in 5 years time.

1. Same as it is now with a little more content and nicer ui

38.8%
  2. Exceed all expectations online/offline amazing, ui working fully adding lots of features

8.2%
  3. Really not sure hard to tell

10.2%
  4. Somewhere between answer 1 and 2

42.9%
  1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

OK rf2s in an interview and were asking it the most horrid of all Interview questions that come up. There's been a lot of negative feedback recently and positive mixed up, I would like to grasp how the fans really feel about rf2.

Where does it see its self in 5 years time. Well obviously I'm not going to ask rf2 I will ask the community, its fans this forum.

I'll make a poll. But feel free to answer freely in a post.

If Marcel wants to post how he sees his product in 5 years, I'm sure a few of us would be interested? @Marcel Offermans

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

These are just assumptions based on everything I know about rF2 and S397 :

- Enormously car content of exceptional quality
    - Iconic laser tracks scanned but not enough
    - Increased overall realism but not enough at all
    - Graphics better and pleasant but not at the level of 202*
    - A UI very functional and satisfactory but not extraordinary
    - A number of additional features and better thought
    - Unfortunately I am not sure of the improvement of realism in the rain and aquaplaning
    - Online greatly improved but the bet may not be held
    - The offline will be in withdrawal despite late championship management and improvement of the AI not ambitious and late
    - Significant improvement in loading times
    - Almost no improvement in performance (it is already good)
    - I'm afraid there is no to improve CPU performance related to AI .......

etc etc etc.
    That's what I think.

I am very mixed.

In particular on the fact that the improvement of realism does not seem to be the priority (confirmed by Marcel's interview).

Slip_Angel likes this.
  3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

From my not so humble thoughts....
    Content is generally pretty good coming from private and S397 sources. Improvements to content generation and update for the private development teams would go a long way. I don't mind paying a bit for quality content, and hope others donate to those who develop and publish content for free.

Physics are still at the top of the game and as always will continue to slowly improve - with the occasional step backwards.

It's said an improved UI is coming, and considering how many feature updates it really could benefit from its a daunting task, and I figure thats just going to take a while. I'll wait.

As for on-line there is a long overdue need to put some centralized server together that can gather data or even stream some prime hosted race sessions to open the visibility channels, along with some intelligent and configurable race scrutineering features.

All it takes is money.

4. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I want RF2 to focus on simuation side of things crank physics on vehicle dynamics to 11 and officials cars then tracks(as moded tracks will still be better than modded cars).
    I don't wanna bash or hate RF2 in anyway but IMO it's not hardcore enough driving the all cars is easy no matter what car, cars generally feel good but can be abused alot without any severe punishment.
    Again this is my opinion.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rf3 (yes, 3) needs sub sections: like a Damper/shock absorber shop, where drivers could create their own settings or customization of current shocks. Heck they could even sell them as micro-transactions ingame to benefit other users.
    Engine shop, where driveability is tuned(withing fairly small limits, one would assume)
    Chassis dyno
    Shaker table
    Wind tunnel
    Forget all this licensed content, the LokiD LMP1 with a N.A. "Driving Fast" V8 and suspensions by Slip_Angel. Tires by .....
    just a thought that whistled thru the ol noggin'
    btw: @Marcels in the big 100 Question interview, implied that rF2 had a somewhat limited shelf life, that the company was looking beyond rF2. Still, at least several more years of 2 before anything else.

6. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

I pick the most optimistic variant because I believe in wishful thinking

coltair and David Kolody like this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

Rf2?
    Yes, please.
    How do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    5 years older, slower, playing the unique rf2.

xerofer likes this.
  8. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Woah there you are putting quite a LOAD on my shoulders there.
    Interesting interview i will check it out.

davehenrie likes this.
  9. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I want 2 but I see 4

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Honestly, after reading Marcel interview all four parts for Racedepartment you can get pretty good idea, there is a lot mentioned, perhaps enough for five years.

If judging on how much has been released out for us in the past year, I don't expect great amounts of improvements even in five years. But decent amount of new content, which will actually be less important if software will not keep up. But if most work was underground on UI, Competition system, The Grand Tour game.... then perhaps good leap could be expected after it is out and out of developers tasks list.

In the upcoming five years I also expect hardware to evolve, so average PC will be much more capable, and developers will be able to unleash more, so almost certain improvements because of that IMO. Of course nice optimisations for software itself will be performed, which will have similar effect, such as a loading times decrease which should roll out in days to come. I think ray tracing will start picking up momentum in the industry, and it very well could solve of some most annoying rF2 graphical disadvantages, such as shadows and reflections.

Big big hopes for online activity to jump up. As much as I have had an opportunity to have little bit of rF2 online racing, nothing could beat it.
    So yeah if it would be managed to make multiplayer very alive and well functioning, then it would be literally new era for rF2. Hopefully thats closer than years, and more likely months away.

Modding should increase if modding tools for blender gets introduced, and there is a comfortable modding flow to be found. It will never be like AC, because rF2 simply does more stuff, so content has to do more stuff as well and the quality standard will keep getting higher, those things will limit amount of mods.

Content from S397 will be probably pretty steady how it is now. No road cars. Perhaps one or two classsic car per year, maybe none (depends if rF2 needs more players, or only modern race cars fans are enough). A lot more GT3 and GTE cars. Hypercar class will proove to be awesome, so there will be those. For tracks there will be big names, when all endurance tracks gets collected, there will be tracks that are raced by the GT3 and GTE cars naturally, there will be some less known tracks, that will be awesome to race too. There won't be classic tracks released.

Community will grow exponentially, till it will reach ~3k daily players in the best case scenario. Worst case - will remain like it is this day.

You will see less and less logical and mechanical thinking from community, as cars are all very modern and more electronic and aerodynamic than mechanical. The simulation might not increase a lot, because less knowledged community will build up a critical mass (a lot will come from AC and ACC) and there will simple be not that much demand for more realism, even possibly the opposite. Other titles might catch up rF2 physics feel, though probably none will reach the level what rF2 can do.

Rain will get improved a little, but not much. Because too few people will like the idea that sometimes it rains IRL, and that it can be incredibly tricky at some times.

Temperatures will finally work in rF2.

AI issues will get addressed, and it will get better, but complaining will remain forever.

Transmissions will get improved, but not so much difference for Hshifters, as the released cars and general simracing trands will result in it being almost never used anymore at official servers. I mean there will be almost only modern GT cars. Forget Skippy, forget Vee, forget 60s F1, new simracers will not know very well what does it mean to have only mechanical grip.

Sound will be improved a lot, once rF2 gets pretty neat everywhere else, and then naturally sound will start to be really really annoying, like as Senna said "some people thinks they have big problems, because those are the only ones they have" :D

11. jo_siffert

jo_siffert Registered

I'm sorry, really sorry to write that (but somewhere it reflects my thinking that is going from left to right and up and down inside my brain) - and somewhere i like to read some wishlists and rants and hopes and and and ... but

Is everyone of you ranting about everything here and over at RD (insert every Simracing-Forum you visit) simply unemployed and are looking for some time to pass?

When I see these wall of texts everywhere i always think that never in my live i could invest the time to think, and overthink the things some of you people mention. Not to mention that some Buzzwords are blinking from time to time in my head when i read them (realism, slipangle, UI, laserscanned etc). Over and over, and restless mentioning in every post, forum, or twitter.

I think i need a break from this community - I can do that, the Devs can't do that; i am sorry for them.

Greets
    Jo

12. Filip

Filip Registered

Because of climate change in 5 years there will be even more extreme weather and tornados and blizzards will be a must for any serious sim.

Andrew Waddington likes this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You must be reffering to my post. I actually scared myself with such wall of text - second time in a span of few days, but it came quite easily. I usually try not to write much, because I understqand that I also waste the time of others who has to read, but you actually don't have to do it. Just don't read it.

I don't accept term "overthinking" as in my mind no such thing exist, only in minds of those who somehow regrets of thinking about something, which is weird. What do you actually expect from community of simulation ? No mentioning of realism ? No mentioning of slip angle ? :D

And I am formally unemployed, but I have an order to do - modeling a track, and that keeps me on PC. It is personal though, but you seemed to be very interested, and I don't care to admit it.

14. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Appreciated

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't see anything to appreciate there, a guy who uses a name of legendary driver just basically made a point that participating in forums is low. That writing means that you have no life. That usual terms that you can not go without if you talk about simracing are just "buzzwords blinking".

Personally, I do not see anything in this particular thread, and especially in my post, which he obviously replied to, that would make one to do a break from "this community". And going even stronger - being sorry for devs as they can't do it. I think that was a harsh thing to say.

This to me sounds like a man who really is not into simracing, or has some social issues of filtering information which he needs. Empty forums would be very sad IMO, simracing is not fortnite, it needs good comunity base to exist. And IMO not everything is just noise, and I would be more sorry for devs if there wouldn't be any noise happening at all.

I mean I agree some content is pretty bad, it happens. But that sounded to me like a rant about content of forums in general. And this just can't be supported.

Anyway, enjoy the silence, those who need that. Personally I am rather happy with rF2 community, arguments happens, but usually it all sets fine after a while, just like it should be when men are in business.

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Again appreciated Everyone has a right to opinion

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wanted to delete my posts as they shouldn't exist, but then it asks for a reason, which means moderators will have to pay attention, I don't want to grab devs or moderators attention in such silly circumstances lol

18. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Just leave it. Its fine

19. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I see it being replaced by rF3. I'm sorry, I just don't think these kinda graphics can survive another 5 years with other titles closing up the gap in physics/FFB.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If they spent another 3 years working on (new) graphics at the expense of catering for real racing (rules, car systems, proper weather support) I think even I might be ready to give up.

The graphics aren't even a problem now.

John, Slip_Angel and LokiD like this.