Unofficial NEWS Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnsclander, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

if it's good official content i won't mind to pay for it. But it also depends on the quality/quantity of the content and the price it has.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I don’t like the Aston Martin GT3 in rfactor2 at all( I like a lot the other GT3)..... so I’m not sure if it’s worth to buy this one?!

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't really like GT3 too. Not too awesome for me. But GTE cars are better, to me they are quite fun.

4. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

5. Taranta

Taranta Registered

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is right, pack up your 1500 dollar pedals, put away your 1200 dd wheel. Forget the price of the water block cooling system you put in your system to allow overclocking the cpu. Nevermind the 899 for the new Nvidia card. and I did not forget the upcoming 4.0 pci express bus that will encourage folks to buy a new motherboard, along with new memory and most likely a new cpu. Yeah, Tracks and cars are overpriced.

Emery, J7166, Rui Santos and 7 others like this.
  7. Depco

Depco Registered

Well, to be fair not everyone has put that kind of cash into their rigs. I myself got into sim racing in 2014. In the intervening years I have splurged on a new G27 wheel and pedal set, built a DIY cockpit and purchased iracing sub, tracks, and cars. I also bought the rF2 game back when there was a lifetime online purchase.and almost all the rF2 DLC since. To say I race on a shoestring budget is a fair statement. But I have also spent money on 2 new computer upgrades in that time and a Rift CV1 HMD. I dont really count those things as sim racing specific since I use those for other gaming and utilitarian tasks, so dont include them in the conversation about Sim hardware.

My point is that not every person who runs rF2 and race sims has the extra cash to throw at this hobby so they look for inexpensive ways to get their desired level of immersion. rF2 used to be the king of cheap. Buy the game (and possibly the online access) and then DL all the variable quality mods you could find.

The inexpensive part of rF2 has gone away under S397. And understandably so. But when I raced in iRacing I had to stop, not because I disliked the racing, but because I disliked having to spends hundreds of dollars in tracks and cars for every new series I wanted to participate in, plus the monthly/yearly subscription. It was a cost that was too much to keep up, especially with how small my sim budget was at the time.

S397 has done an amazing job with rF2 and they deserve to make as much money as possible for their hard work. But the current fractured DLC GT3/GTE content is making some people uneasy about what to expect in the future.

For example, In my leagues current series we will be running GT3 content across 12 weeks. The new member will have to purchase the GT3 pack ($16.75) and GT3 Challengers pack ($16.75) in order to have the required cars to race. Plus we use Sebring ($10.05) as our last race of every series so they will have to buy that track if they wish to run in the series finale. So getting into our league series as a fresh face will cost the driver $43.55 in DLC content. This is over the modest price of $31.99 for the base game.

While the above numbers are still way cheaper than getting into iRacing, If the driver is getting into online racing, rF2 is simply inferior to iRacing for structured/on demand online races. Hopefully the new UI and competition infrastructure will rectify this, but frankly it has taken so long to be realized that many have chosen to go elsewhere.

I am hopeful that the UI and CI are released soon, but s397 may need to rethink their purchase prices for their older DLC packages, or re-bundle the content into better, more complete series packages.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    GrimDad likes this.
  8. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@davehenrie I'm still here and buying most DLC twice....you missed my point.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I see a lot of services moving towards a subscription based model, I think this is where gaming in general and also sim racing will be heading in the future. There are even cloud gaming services developed where you rent the hardware by having it run on a server farm, so all you really need is a monitor and a small box at home. Now this approach has its problems. But for content, some sort of subscription model would be more enticing for newcomers than having to pay for all these car and track packs one by one. For us old time users it makes not much difference as we buy items as things get released, but I agree with you this can definitely be a turn-off for a new user because you have to do all the investment at once.

Speaking of subscriptions generally, the argument is often made that people want to "own" content instead of renting it. But thinking for example of the Steam workshop, any workshop content creator could decide to remove his content tomorrow and it would also be gone locally for every user, so as far as I'm concerned, Steam is one big rental service.

10. kodnin

kodnin Registered

I'm fine with buying or a subscription. What I'm not fine with is a subscription and still buying extra content, like iRacing does.

DrivingFast and williang83 like this.
  11. williang83

williang83 Registered

That's basically the only reason i'm not full iRacing. Not because i cannot afford it but rather a matter of principles.

kodnin likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well the cat's rather out of the bag here, since we already have DLC. If an official competition needs 3 separate car packs to participate then new players are either buying them or missing out on that competition - but that doesn't mean there might not be others they can join with base content, or only a single pack and/or track.

Transitioning to a subscription model would be tricky with so much DLC already bought, but it would focus numbers onto the same content which might be good in the short term. How you manage the content and appease previous buyers is a tricky one.

Will Mazeo and LokiD like this.
  13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The difference to Steam and the workshop compared to cloud based systems like iRacing is, that you can save the packages on your harddrive and install them manualy. Next to the fact that rF2 also works in offline mode wich gives you the option to save the game and mods basicly for the rest of your life. With iRacing this isn't the case. If you don't pay the sub, the content that you bought - or to say it with iRacing phrasing - lisenced, is gone. So in that regard, you pay those 75 bugs for rF2 plus a few DLCs once and in addition access to the tons of free mods and be done with it. I bought into three months of iRacing a week ago just to test it for 10 Euro, wich looks like a much better deal at first glance.

But over the time costs for iRacing will creep up to hyperinflation state, where I have to pay 300 Euro or more, just to use the base content over 5 years, while I am still using rF2 for the same 75 Euro that I payed in the beginning. And given the fact, that the base content in iRacing is anything but certainly not up to today standards in many ways, it feels like a rip off to even have to pay for a Lime Rock park with polygonal track shapes 66 Euro a year, wich is the best case scenario. Because that's exactly what you have to pay to be able to use that track, if you want to race it a year. There was another discussion at RD due to the damage model footage wich is great btw, where some users even insisted on the fact that you don't pay for the content but for the service, wich is outright lying. Take it or leave it, iRacing is a decent product and service but certainly not for the amount of cash that they are asking.

McKiernan and Filip like this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

rF2 could do like RR at least
    If S397 went full subscription based would be nice imo, but do different from iR: no paying extra for cars, pay the yearly sub and have access to everything, online services included.

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

This doesn't work for rF2. The other two platforms are enclosed ecosystems while rF2 is an open sandbox. I have seen rips of rF2 DLC cars allready (eventhough they are encrypted), so using a system like RR or iRacing is not an option as long as 3rd party content is actively supported. It is actually quite simple tbh and I don't see this changing in the near future. I don't think that it makes financial sense to invest alot of time into better encryption systems to please a wider range of people, while you potentialy sell less DLC packs. I rather see that energy spend elsewhere to implement important core features that make your product more attractive for old and new users. From my POV, it might have been more feasable to sell only packs instead of single items, but S397 decided to keep everything as open as possible for the users, wich has it's pros and it's cons as everything in life. There might be a reason why other sim studios only sold full packs. ;)

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I disagree. Official DLC cars could be done the RR way at least (buy what you'll drive + tracks and race online) even with mods. "Doesn't work" right now, could be changed if they wanted to.
    And as you said people already ripped it, so S397 could at least help the online community and prevent its fragmentation

17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

If they did it like rr they will release another endu pack and make u rebuy the previous cars and their liveries. No thanks muxt be a better way

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

huh? no, you dont need to rebuy previous content in RR, S397 dont need to make the same with skins either, it can be kept open as now
    they'd have to make it like the DLC are part of the base game, cant be unninstalled, when you buy a car the decrypt key unlock it for you.
    Even Automobilista does that as far as I remember

19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

You do at a livery cost. I know cos I haven't the new adac pack But have All the cars but I can't use them till I buy a livery

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

As I said, they dont need to copy everything. Why is it whenever we give a suggestion "do like x" people think 100% of it must be copied? Cant you use some imagination at least to think about good parts of something and keep the bad out?