Config don't shows the correct Graphic Card solved?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bernd, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Are you a Member of ISI or S397, that you can know this?
    rFactor 2 was developed by ISI, so i would suppose that they have used the rF1 Code as basis, which also includes the rF Config.exe.
    Unfortunately i can not remember, if the "Bug", that not the correct Graphics Card is shown in the config, was there from the beginning on in rF2.

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I also have made the same comparison and as you say, it don't has the bug in the 1098 build.
    Maybe it has something to do with the option "Auto", that the 1098 build don't has.
    And i still think that S397 has taken over the whole code of rfactor 2 from ISI.
    Howsoever, it just would be good to have it working proper and reliable again, that it shows the right graphics card and correct driver version, when you start the config. ;)

3. stonec

stonec Registered

The "auto" option is perfectly fine to use. If it would really be using your CPU's integrated graphics, FPS would drop to single digits, which you would immediately notice. So this bug has no practical impact.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@stonec As per post #4 (and many others in the past) that does happen, and while it might be obvious it's rather annoying to have to exit the game, change the setting, and go back in. I don't see that as perfectly fine to use.

5. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

Hopefully this will be solved by the new UI..I doubt S397 will fix it in the current launcher, so all we can do is wait (and wait and wait etc.) until the new UI which was "weeks, not months" away (months ago) gets here..

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

To get a FPS drop is an impact when the wrong graphics card gets selected.
    So why not having it working properly?
    Sorry, i don't understand anyone who argues against it.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

The game would become unplayable if it attempted to use the iGPU. I have seen the claims about performance drops, but they are most likely placebo, since you can't really play rF2 at all on the iGPU unless you run with 720p resolution or something like that. It would be interesting to see someone provide actual evidence in terms of just a quick FPS test with auto and dedicated GPU selected, because it makes no sense to me why it would produce any different result.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I can only repeat myself.
    The selection of the correct video card worked properly in the past and i just want to get it working properly again now.
    That's all.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Two things:
    1 - on my laptop i had a period where AUTO was selected and sure enough it chose the iGPU so I had to quit and manually select the nVidia card.
    2 - As already mentioned this should become a thing of the past when the new UI is here as the Launcher will no longer be in use.

So for now and until that time of the new UI the only way to be sure is to remember to select your specific GPU before you run the game, a slight PITA but takes no more than 3.5 seconds :)

10. stonec

stonec Registered

If auto is using the iGPU (it should always default to the quicker GPU), then there is an actual bug that needs to be fixed in the game, not only the UI. That's why I asked if anyone could provide evidence in FPS difference.
    Yeah, but if auto already uses your dedicated GPU, then your correct card is actually selected and the only difference is whether you want to stair at a text stating "auto" or your dedicated GPU. Which I can understand is probably not very high priority to fix, especially as we get the new UI soon as @MarcG mentioned.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's been other threads on this in the past where I'm pretty sure the issue was logged, I'll have to revisit and confirm what happens on my laptop but from memory it was either fixed or stopped happening to me.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I completely disagree. I've seen independent testing showing 3.8s on average :D

MarcG likes this.
  13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@stonec Let's stop that senseless dicussion. You have your opinion, i have mine.

14. Filip

Filip Registered

I had similar problem with iRacing that used graphic card that was defined as primary card for that application in Nvidia control panel (can't remember exact setting).
    Maybe for players who experience problem in rf2 would solve it to set it there.

But anyway if this problem really occurs then I disagree it's not a high priority because not all users are tech savvy and will not recognize a problem and solution. Imagine a damage it could do for a player who quits rf2 because of this or a frustration when you wait for several minutes to get on track only to find out your gfx reverted to onboard and now you have to repeat. Players who are not deep into rf2 can be annoyed enough to give up.

Also not to mention debugging stuff like this. Who on earth would think of checking video settings that were set up properly already. I expect from any software not to change user settings randomly.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

As I mentioned a few hundred posts back, my onboard video cannot reproduce 19x2@144hz or 25x14 to fill up my 27in monitor. So fps isn't even the question(heck, my old RX480 is barely hanging on in that regard)