DD1 Fanatec. Can't setup in Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neil Collis, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Neil Collis

Neil Collis Registered

Hi,

Does anyone out there know how to setup the Fanatec DD1 in Rfactor 2?

I've tried and can't get it to work. Tried loading the preset Fanatec Podium DD1 from the Rfactor 2 list in options/ controls but this doesn't work either.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
    Neil

2. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi Neil,

i own a DD1 as well, works fine here.

A few questions:
    - Does the wheel show up in the Windows Gamecontroller, or work with other games?
    - Did you try to plug out and back in your usb connection?
    - Tried a different usb plug?
    - Latest Driver/Firmware, i have: PC driver: 335, Wheel Base Firmware: 653, Motor Firmware: 30?

In Game:
    - You actually load the DD1 controler preset in the Controls section, but that did'nt work? That worked in my case.
    - Did you try the "Detect" button (also in the Controls section)?
    - You may set up your wheel manually, by selecting each function in the list to the right.

Hope i could help.

3. Neil Collis

Neil Collis Registered

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have no idea about windows game controller or what that is. Can't find it on my PC. The Podium DD does show up in control panel devices if that means anything?

I have tried removing USB cable and plugging back in. The wheel does work in iRacing, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa.

In Refactor I do load and select the Podium DD1 from the preset list. In then is listed at the bottom right of screen. However wheel still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I have the lastest firmware. I only just downloaded it from Fanatec a few days ago. I've only had the Podium DD1 for a week now.

I have Heusinkveld pedals. But the clutch won't work in Refactor either. The throttle and brake are working ok. I'm able to assign up and down shift to a sequential shifter which seems to work of but hasn't at times. I assign ignition ok which works. I assign start and the Sim accepts the button I assign. But then when trying to start the car it doesn't work. My Heusinkveld pedals are grounded as per Heusinkveld cable and instructions.

I don't know what's going on? Why I don't have any issues with iRacing assigning anything. Clutch, wheel, shifter and button box assignments work fine But in Rfactor the same controls don't work?

In saying that in Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa and Automobista the clutch won't work either. However the Podium DD1 works fine as does throttle and brake. Sequential shifter works also. Although sometimes after assigning done controls then going to race they don't work or the assignment setting has changed by itself.

It's all so frustrating and doing my head in. There must be a confliction somewhere or grounding issues.

Just so weird how everything works in iRacing no problems and also in DIVeiw the Heusinkveld pedals are visible and all working.

4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

What wheel were you using before connecting DD1?

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I had the same sort of problem with my Thrustmaster T-GT and HE pedals, TM was plugged in at back, HE at front...swapped them around and all worked properly...dunno if it will help you or not but worth checking out.

6. Neil Collis

Neil Collis Registered

This is my first wheel. It's my first rig I'm trying to set up.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Neil Collis It's not totally clear from your post (or I missed it), did you actually try to directly assign the basic controls (throttle, brake, gears) and check that they work in the Controls screen?

The car not 'starting' is a bit vague, but easy to misinterpret as you're new to the game as well. You might have luck loading up the Keyboard preset, and manually assigning a few of the basic controls with the wheel first (if it works, of course) to avoid any strange conflicts.

8. Neil Collis

Neil Collis Registered

My wheel base is connected directly to the PC as are the Heusinkveld pedals. I've tried moving the USB cables to different ports and checked the cables from the Heusinkveld pedals are connected correctly.

Just so weird how everything setup so easy and works fine in iRacing but I'm having so many issues with other Sim software. The pedals are all functioning in DIVeiw also. But for some reason the clutch only works in iRacing and Assetto Corsa but won't assign in other Sims. Nothing even happens when depressing and realising the clutch in options/controls setup of other Sims.

9. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi Neil,

Just to be sure, please open "Controls" menu inside rFactor2, click on "Steer Left" (Red arrow in the screenshot below) then turn your wheel at least 360 deg to the left. This should assign the wheel movement to the "steer left" function in rF2.

[​IMG]

Small notice: While rF2 loads up (the Game itself, not the launcher), right at the end of the sequence there is a small "rF2" text showing up at the small 3 digit display on my universal hub wheel.

10. Zaval

Zaval Registered

Hi

What is the optimal configuration for the Fanatec DD1 in rFactor? Tuning menu

11. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Click here.

12. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

All working okay for me Neil. I have DD1 with F1 2019 Rim. I also have Heusinkveld Sprint pedals with Clutch and all works for me.

I first installed drivers and then DD1 followed by Sprint pedals. After installing the Fanatec drivers you should get a "Fanatec Wheel Property Page" shortcut on your desktop. However it only links to windows "Game Controllers". Make sure you can see your devices listed in that.

Then in RF2 I loaded the Fanated DD1 profile and then remapped all controls, and then saved a new profile and named it "MyDD1". After that all was ok. ;)

Hope this helps.

13. Zaval

Zaval Registered

Worked, thanks

TOCA2FREAK likes this.
  14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Could I ask one of you guys with a DD1 to give an overview of how you find the wheel compared to what, if anything, you where using before. I've been thinking about getting one but am a bit unsure about the cost / benefit.
    I currently use Fanatec CSW v2.5

SmellySkidmark and Rui Santos like this.
  15. Supa

Supa Registered

I've got a Bodnar and there will be no comparison to your CSW which unfortunately is belt driven. I'd say even my old G27 would have felt better than the CSW as it used cogs rather than belts

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks Supa, I certainly hope there would be no comparison, there would not be sufficient benefit for the cost if there wasn't significant difference.
    I specifically wasn't asking about Bodnar because that would set me back about $6000AU (with freight and tax) for the standard unit. The DD1 is $2100AU (with freight and tax) and my wheel will fit straight on and my pedals, shifter and handbrake will plug straight in.

I used to own a G25 and have to say that the CSW is streets ahead in the feel simply because a car steering wheel shouldn't rattle. The steering in a car should have a smoother feeling due to the rubber tyre interfacing with the road and all of the flex and torsional twisting in the steering and suspension mechanisms. The CSW delivers with this smoother feel without losing the feeling of all the little bumps and nuances of the road. The CSW has about three times the torque of the G25/27 and better adjustment, better warranty, better back up service than the Logitech. The cost / benefit was a positive in every way.
    If there is someone who has a DD1 who would like to write up a bit of a review in a conversation / pm and let me know your thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The Iron Wolf and McKiernan like this.
  17. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

I upgraded from the Fanatec CSW V2.0 to the DD1. I would say if you prefer very high FFB without clipping then the DD1 or any other DD wheels is a well worth upgrade. However if you can't handle very high FFB then I would say your CSW V2.5 is worth keeping and the cost of a DD isn't worth it.

If I keep the FFB strength about the same as my old CSW V2.0 then I don't feel much difference between the two. However we are still waiting on the Fanatec DD1/DD2 software which may help with this?

Below is a very good review from The Sim Channel.

I do hope this helps you decide. :)

JimmyT and The Iron Wolf like this.
  18. Supa

Supa Registered

Ahhh yes the G27 rattling hehe. I've had my wheel 4 yrs but there are now a bunch of great affordable DD wheels to choose from. . I always run mine at %100 strength in wheel software but reduce ingame to suit.

19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Even though this is area where it is difficult to be objective, thanks for trying to be objective here @TOCA2FREAK. I've heard somewhat similar description (DD1 vs CSW 2.5) from someone else, and two people saying similar thing is helpful input :)

JimmyT likes this.
  20. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks @TOCA2FREAK that's the sort of feedback (pun intended) I was looking for. I will watch the vid, I watched one from another channel but wasn't sure if it was independent or paid.