Rfcmp file from installed folder?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by linebacker, Aug 7, 2019.

1. linebacker

linebacker Registered

As the title says, can a rfcmp file be made from mods which are installed in the installed folder? That way i can update mods which i dont use that often as i want.
    Thanks

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Can you be more precise?
    Do you want to backup installed components to avoid that they get updated?

3. linebacker

linebacker Registered

I have quite a few mods installed, some are a few gb is size. I'm trying to avoid having to update them on a regular basis especially the ones i don't use that often so i was thinking of creating a .rfcmp (.mas to rfcmp) for each of the mods and then Unsuscribing the mods in Steam. That way i can update them when i want. Then i need to install the mods via the .rfcmp files
    Thanks

4. Corti

Corti Registered

Do you want to make a backup copy of WorkShop content? This content is in:
    X: \ SteamLibrary \ steamapps \ workshop \ content \ 365960 \
    Copy everything you want to save to another folder and then unsubscribe.
    To use it again you can subscribe again or copy the package you need to the packages folder to install it manually

linebacker likes this.
  5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

So i guess that it are workshop components that you want to backup, because the ones from manualyy downloaded components you do have already.
    You also have the rfcmp files of all workshop items already stored on your machine.
    Search the subfolders of the folder ..\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960, where you'll find the rfcmp of all workshop content items.
    Be aware of this new steam bug:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?posts/995251/

LOL @Corti was a bit faster :)

linebacker likes this.
  6. linebacker

linebacker Registered

really? they are already there? ill be checking that folder first thing in the morning. Then there is no need to create the rfcmp files because they are already there? its such a pain whenever i start steam up and it just wants to updates mods all the time. Now ill install them manually ans steam can't update them. Thanks for your help guys.

7. linebacker

linebacker Registered

I just read about the bug, this morning i tried installing FVR Supercars 2018, it downloaded 1gb and then didn't even install the mod. That's one of the reasons for installing them manually.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, that bug is very unusual, so you could back up the content in case of such a bug but generally speaking it's not necessary. Usually mod updates are improvements and bugfixes so not really something you'd need to avoid, but obviously if you want that much control you can do that.

The other reason to back it up is if it gets taken off the workshop for some reason. Content can literally disappear that way.

9. linebacker

linebacker Registered

One really annoying thing is that a few days ago i downloaded the Tatuus mod, it was 800mb. I didnt get a chance to try it out then this morning Steam downloaded it again, 1.6gb all up. If my internet data plan was unlimited then i wouldnt mind but its not so i need to keep an eye on it. After it finshed installing it i copied the rfcmp files to the packages folder then unsubscribed. In the future after ive tried it out and if i find bugs in it then i have the option of updating it via subscribing again.