finding memory to match old mainboard.

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by davehenrie, Aug 2, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My wife has been using a desktop made up of leftover parts from old builds of mine and our son's computers. She's been getting a-lot of slow downs and momentary blank screens lately. I guessed it was swapping video/system page files. When I looked at the CPUz specs, it reported only 4 gigs of system ram. I must have installed mismatched pairs of memory.
    Anyhow, I'm having trouble finding a dd3 1033/1333 rated memory. Could anyone look over these specs and recomend a couple of sticks of memory and a USA retailer?

MSI motherboard:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PH67SC43_B3/Specification
    thanks

win7x64pro

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Something like this (1066) or this (1333)?
    (the specs say 1066 or 1333.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    davehenrie likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

Frequencies won't be an issue as every RAM type can underclock itself to the lowest common denominator, so if you buy a stick of 1600 MHz and another of 1333 Mhz, they will work at 1333 MHz. The only thing to remember is to buy the correct type (DDR3) and sometimes there are compatibility issues, especially if you pair different sticks from different manufacturers with each other.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

:) well, it appears that some fairly decent, yet small memory was installed. Gskill ddr3. but each stick was only 4gb. I checked to make sure they were seated.(and they appeared to be), but only 4gb was reported by both cpuID and dxdiag. took the sticks out, swapped from the black slots to the blue slots. Still 4gb. Removed just one, 4 gb, put the 2nd one back in...and viola! 8 gb. Now that is low for Win7x64 but it would explain all the pauses for memory swaps. And it is twice as much as what she had working. Windows and Chrome alone took almost 4gb. Add a facebook game and the 4gb of system ram was overloaded. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into either getting two more of the same sticks or just replace with two 8gb sticks. I'm guessing one of the two sticks was just not seated properly.

EsxPaul likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... I ran 4GB till last year. You shouldn't have any issues with 8.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Well she is much happier after just an hour of facebook gaming. Not a single blank screen refresh. (should have looked inside sooner!!!)