Latest Roadmap Update - July 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Or... you could be wrong.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  2. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

3. bwana

bwana Registered

All good and true if you live in a euro time zone, discord a waste land a lot of the time l have a look or it’s drunks talking about pizza

4. Mike Froom

Mike Froom Registered

I'm glad to see that finally there will be some outcomes of the task force! I'll be really happy once next race everything goes silky smooth.

5. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I think he is talking about car behaviour on grass if you have mistaken it for grass graphics.
    Personally i do think all cars are extremely forgiving on grass(or any other offroad) and regaining grip on joining the road way to quickly.

LokiD likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

AbsoFreakin'lutely!

t0p5ecret and LokiD like this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Recently, didn't S397 tease us with news of a new carpak? something about at least 3 cars from manufacturers already in the DLC pack?
    So the announcement of the Senna would be the first,(Mclaren already onboard multiply times) and what other similar cars to pair with the Senna? Perhaps the Aston Martin Valkyrie? What about the Mercedes Project 1? (Glickenhaus SCG 004 maybe???)

Levelup1 likes this.
  8. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

9. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Wouldn't you run the game loop in a while(1) and then each loop keep track of the tickcount?

if ( tickcount > tyreInterval ) { runTyreUpdate(); }

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe wrong simulation?
    Try this. :)

11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but am I the only one who doesn't get excited AT ALL about a super modern car with super sticky tyres and a super amount of downforce?

I am happy that it's in the game and all because any high quality licenced content raises the profile of the sim which is a good thing, but can we also cater to us weirdos who like slightly slower cars too? I want something I can relate to - something that maybe I might one day be able to drive on a track in real life. I want to drive in the sim thinking that what I'm doing has some kind of real world transfer to my aspiration of going racing for real (even though it may not ever happen). Driving a 900hp beast... yes it's fun and I'm glad it's possible but it has no benefit to me, no relevance to my real world attempt to become a better driver.

Some entry level RWD tin-tops would be a refreshing change of pace - something where if you lift of the gas mid-corner the thing is going to rotate on you if you're not careful. Maybe when the competition system drops I'll be pleasantly surprised - like some kind of structure where you start with something small and slow (but fun to drive) and have to work your way up through the ranks.

For now, playing Forza 2 on xbox 360 with a controller is what I have regressed to!

Bernardo and VirusGR42 like this.
  12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Get KartSim and the Reiza Pack (Formula Vee & Puma). Perfect entry-level vehicles and training. If you can drive this, you can drive everything else afterwards

Obbzy_XR_ likes this.
  13. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

No this would block the whole system or at least one core. With sleep(0) you can give away task time but continuing is undefined. Bad style both

14. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Not really the place to open a discussion on proper game design, but I am confused why relying on QueryPerformanceCounter would block the system or limit you to one core?

In my simplistic example it's a single threaded solution, sort of like how Quake did it: https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/WinQuake/sys_win.c#L852

Looking at Doom-3 BFG, which was Doom 3 made multi-threaded, it uses the rdtsc instruction instead to get processor ticks:
    https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG/blob/master/neo/framework/common_frame.cpp#L86
    https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG/blob/master/neo/sys/win32/win_cpu.cpp#L50

This runs three threads, one for the renderer, one for the game logic, and one for high-frequency joystick input.

I am not a game programmer, but I fail to see why that is bad style. What's the proper way to design the game loop (or do without one) instead?

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  15. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Both use sleep(0) which is undefined time. Good enough to run 2ms cyclus, 500hz, but < 1ms like for 2400hz not reliable. 500hz is a common value for some reasons
    But for timer like 2ms+ steppings timer callbacks like creatertimerqueue() are more proper imo.
    Windows is not made for resolutions < 1ms, better stay >=2ms

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Technical aspects aside, the game doesn't need to run a loop at 2400Hz. FFB is output at 400Hz, screens don't go that high, and have no reason to in the future. So it need only loop at 400Hz, calculating 1/400th of a second worth of physics (at 2400, or 1200, or 24000Hz, whatever) each time.

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

To those saying Forum is official and Discord is not. Where did you get that? Discord is as official as Forum is, there is an official rF2 Discord server! It's only a different way of communicating with its pros and cons. Like pro Forum: searchable even after years. or pro Discord: a lot faster interaction between users and developers.

Why not simply use both Forum and Discord?
    To join rF2 Discord simply use this invitation:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/come-join-our-rfactor-2-discord-channel.53775/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  18. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Discord is an incredibly inefficient communication tool for those of us who are not awake during 'core' hours sadly.

19. lagg

lagg Registered

Discord is efficient for a quick comunication and forums are efficient to have the information organized.
    These are different tools with different purposes.

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Discord is a chat program... while a forum is... a forum! duh
    why is it so hard for people to understand this?