Config don't shows the correct Graphic Card solved?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bernd, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry, if there is a thread about this already, i didn't have found one with the forum search.

Is that solved?
    Probably since the last update, the config of the single player and also the config of the moddev, always shows me the correct graphic card, whenever i open it.

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Are you having issues?

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

No, thank you for asking, everything is working fine now.
    I was just wondering, because in the past, the correct card was never shown in the config, when i started the sim, what also other users have reported in different threads.
    And because i haven't found any information about it, i just wanted to know if that has been solved or fixed with one of the latest updates.

4. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

I am still having the issue I have to select my video card everytime I load up rF2 in video config as it is always set to auto and the video performance is very bad until I go in and manually select my video card

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Mine is more random. SOMETIMES, it shows my RX480, other times the default. I can go several weeks with it properly working, but then, good ol default comes back.

Alex72 and Bernd like this.
  6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

FWIW, running video config also always shows 'Auto' initially and I have to change it to my card. What issues do you encounter when leaving it at auto?

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Seems as if it's the same here again.
    Today i also had the well known 'Auto' shown in the settings dropdown again.
    So it still is not fixed.

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes it is random :)

9. Rastas

Rastas Registered

To me it always shows auto,i tend to choose 1050TI,but sometime i forgot and i have no noted any issues actualy :)
    But i think is something that needs to be fixed.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Auto defaults to the onboard motherboard video. For my 27 inch/144hz monitor, I run either 19x12(better fps) or 25x14, neither of those settings are available with the auto option.

11. RockShark

RockShark Registered

Mine randomly sets to auto. I don’t have any motherboard or cpu graphics. Only discrete graphics card installed. Performance is the same if I don’t select my card.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It maybe is more a placebo effect, but it gives me a better feeling, when i see my correct card showing up, when i open the config. :)
    But i also have seen users like @davehenrie that reported problems, when the dropdown was set to Auto.

13. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

It always defaults back to auto after I restart my PC.
    If I haven't restarted the PC after selecting my card, I can open/close rF2 and Steam for days and the correct card will be selected.

14. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I have the feeling it switch to "auto" only if you open the settings, otherwise it stay on what you have choosed. I always find it on auto after a reboot, but i've never experienced issues that make me think is not using my gtx 970 (if i don't open the config to set my gpu).

15. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

Nah. I can open the video settings time after time...after setting it to the correct card, it stays there. I can open it, close it, close Steam completely...wait days...open video settings and it's still set correctly.

Now, when I restart my PC...I open it, it's back to 'auto'.

16. Daniele Vidimari

And it is exactly what happens to me. What i mean is that it migth switch to auto when you open the config after a reboot (the first time you open it): what do we do to check if it's on auto or not? We open the settings tab, and in this moment, it switch to auto.
    I think this theory can be confirmed/refused by looking at the config_dx11.ini before and after, i will do it later.

17. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

Ah...gotcha.

I'll check this now since I'm not doing much else atm.

ETA: Your theory seems to be correct, from a glance.

Heck, for as long as I've been doing the routine of manually switching it when opening the game, this could be a non issue tomorrow and I'd still make the same checks. So not sure it even matters for me personally. lol

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  18. Daniele Vidimari

I just did a quick test, in my config_dx11.ini the GTX 970, in the line PreferredGPU, is named as 37706, the integrated gpu instead is 40096.
    I can't confirm if the setting switch to "auto" when you open the config the first time, but i can confirm that auto and my GTX 970 have the same code in the ini: 37706. In other words, with "auto" it still use the 970.

I'll still select the proper GPU too, anyway. :D

EDIT
    nope, "auto" is named as -1, so ok, i can confirm that it switch to auto only when you open the config the first time, as in my ini file, in the line PreferredGPU, i had 37706 (GTX 970) before launching rf2 and open the config the first time.

19. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Mine is also random but mostly "auto" and not my card.

20. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Just to report it.
    The rfactor 1 rF config.exe always detects the correct graphics card and driver version.
    Was there something changed in the code, that the rfactor 2 rF config.exe can not do it?