USF2000 handling behavior on the default setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by likes_simracing, Jul 25, 2019.

1. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Is the default setup of the USF2000 (the old car) very understeery, or is it my driving causing it? I can't drive it fast through turns.

I love the elongated shape of that car so wanted to drive it and watch the replays, but it is not fun tip-toeing in that car. I have to slow down on turns and wait for the front to bite, or unwind my steering to get the front to bite. I can sense the change in force feedback so I can feel when I am going over and back. But this happens at very shallow steering angles, so I end up slowing down just to make turns. Sometimes it is a four-wheel drift. The AIs pass me easily. On Lime Rock, the AIs are in 46s, I am in 51s and higher (but I still make the top 3 each time because they like to crash on the last turn!). I don't have this much difficulty with the USF-17 (the new Tatuus), even if that has some slight understeer also. On the USF-17, the 120% AI leaves me behind, but not by big margins.

Is my driving style unsuited for this car, or is the car just that hard to turn? Thanks.

Edit: I used laptimes for a different car earlier.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

is this only through fast, or also slow turns?

3. likes_simracing

All of them unfortunately. Very obvious on the slow/medium turns just after the start. I can anticipate and manage the understeer on the fast turns on the second half of the lap, but I have to slow down. Just default setup.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Default setup are often like that, so you can drive around pretty safely. The USF 2000 is pretty sensitive to aero loads, so, you will find that behaviour change with just 1 click on the wings. Try to reduce rear wing few clicks or increase front wing a bit, and the car will be more neutral, then, if you exceed, oversteery. This should be enough without messing with suspensions.
    Another thing you can do to change the under-over steer attitude is to move your brake bias to the rear.
    In theory, a understeery car can be pretty fast if it's well balanced, the idea is that you load the front axle with a bit of braking, so you have enough grip at turn in , then during the turn the load on your tires should be even, ready to return to the rear axle for acceleration.
    Look simple but this need a finely tuned aero and braking balance, and not all turns in a track will fall into the optimal conditions, so, you will have to choose where you want to gain and where to lose.
    Just remember that oversteery cars / hard to handle cars, are more difficult to drive, maybe more fun, but this won't make them automatically faster.

likes_simracing likes this.
  5. likes_simracing

Ok, thanks for that. Makes sense. I'll experiment. I have seen a 47-48 second lap on YT so I was wondering if I am just terrible at driving with the default setup, or if that kind of time needs a setup tweak. I suppose I'll practice a bit more on the default, then tweak the aero when I hit my skill limit.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

I would start with the brake bias before the aero.

7. likes_simracing

The understeer that I struggle with is off brakes, when coasting or on a little bit of gas.