[WIP] CART 1985

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Nov 16, 2018.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Dick Simon owned a trucking company. He sponsored an Indycar team but never really reached near the top, EXCEPT at Indy. The year after Penske won with the Cheater Ilmor Stock block engine, Penke could could not qualify any of their drivers(Emmo, Unser Jr. & Paul Tracey). Simon, whose teams always ran Lola with Ford Engines, had like 6 cars make the field. The Ford was the highest revving of the engine choices and Lola the lowest drag.
    All Simon had to do was get somebody to buy a ride and he could practically guarantee them a spot in the Indy 500.

2. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Had to do some major cramming in. But I wanted to release something before I leave for the weekend.Here is the first 5 cars. The wings they currently use are not accurate. When Chief adds them in, he should be able to correct that.
    #76 - Johnny Parson - Indy 500
    20190716201912_1.jpg

#7 Geoff Brabham - Indy 500
    20190716201958_1.jpg

#12 Bill Whittington - Indy 500
    20190717002159_1.jpg

#76 - Jacques Villeneuve - Road Course
    20190716202052_1.jpg

Geoff Brabham - Road Course
    20190716202136_1.jpg

Here is the link. Please let me know of any inaccuracies, improvements or issues
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/uhgn7ygqsiu0dfx/CrivitzChris_March85c_V1.7z/file

Whittington Road and Gilmore cars will be worked on when I get back

lbird, pkelly, Levelup1 and 5 others like this.
  3. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

cool Guys, I like it, would be nice to paint the Logos from the sidepods also on the little flaps on the sidepods, like you have done for the Car #7

nericksenna likes this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You guys are fast. Makes me feel old and slow. Great work :)

5. Chris Lesperance

Yeah, you are probably right on that for the #76. Looking at another pic or two, it does kind of go on that flap. I can get that corrected.

I do have a request or suggestion. Would it be possible to set up the car with GENStrings, instead of having different gen files? I finally took a look at the files last night. I think there could be some optimization there. Separating the wing models from the car model would add a lot of customization.

The way that I am imagining it

#1 - Helmet, 1 = Bell, 2 = Simpson
    #2 - FW, 1 = Single Element, 2 = Two Element
    #3 - Sidepods, 1 = Angled (Oval), 2 = Straight (Road)
    #4 - Sidepod flaps and brake ducts, 1 = Off, 2 = On (Road) Could be separate or together
    #5 - RW, 1 = Oval 1 (Triangle shaped) 2 = Oval 2 (Straight), 3 = Road 1 (Large endplate), 4 = Road 2 (Small endplate)
    #6 - Rims, 1 = 4 Spoke, Not there currently: 2 = 4 Spoke (WCRIMS), 3 = 6 Spoke, 4 = 6 Spoke (WCRIMS)

Having it that way would give you the option of having the angled sidepods and single element Front wings for Road courses. All using a single .GEN file. Both pics below are from Portland
    5762840572_484e8bf021_o.jpg 5762838732_3f7aae5db4_o.jpg

You could even split the endplates as a separate number so that you could have rectangle endplates on the straight rear wing.
    Johnny_Parsons1_5_11.jpg

I don't have much ability on the modeling side, but with everything all ready modeled, this is something I can do, if you don't have the time. I can take that up, so that you can work on the Lola :) Let me know if this is ok with you?

6. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

yah, no problem for me, you can do one car and send it to me, I will have a look

7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You would have to do it in an upgrade, genstrings are pretty much set and forget.

8. Chris Lesperance

I was initially thing upgrade. The only two issues was that IDK how AI would do with multiple body options. How to have some running the "triangle" oval rear wing while others run the straight one for an oval. If there was a way to make a car have a default options, then it would be ok.

The other thing is that the two side pod options are different templates. That throws another kink into it. So my initial though is having GENString is a better option for that.

It'll change the whole structure of everything. But it shouldn't be too bad for me to do it. If you decide against it, then no problem :)
    It will take a bit for me to do it. My next 3 weekends are booked. But I'll come up with something and send it over to you. You keep working on what you are working on :) I'm not sure if you are working on any other improvements for this car.

9. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

don't forget that we have different hdv files for Road and Superspeedway carbodys

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Ok, just remember that genstrings will change the car, and cannot be changed through an upgrade, so if you set it to have an oval wing, it'll always have it, no matter the track.
    Maybe you could do an upgrade that would change between oval and road with genstrings, like "GEN=<FWINGMAX>=M85_FWingO<2>.gmt", then road would be "GEN=<FWINGMAX>=M85_FWingR<2>.gmt", something like that could work.

11. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Hey Chief, I'm struggling to get it lined up perfectly, and I think one issue is that the oval body uses the road course sidepod flap, where the oval flap was much shorter or gone completely. When I looked at some pictures of the cars, the sidepod flap was a solid colour rather than a wrap-around decal, because the painters would have had to cut a second sticker to stick on the flap and line it up.

12. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

pascom, DaveS78, jayarrbee36 and 6 others like this.
  13. jymp

jymp Registered

Thanks Chief, are there differences between this and the first Demo, other than easier to update on Steam ?

14. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

yeah, this simulate a real Turbo now

pkelly and StrawmanAndy like this.
  15. JoeP1

JoeP1 Registered

Thanks for the awesome mod Chief! I was able to see J.Villeneuve's win at Road America that year. BTW, I can't seem to add a skin as a separate car. I have Emerson Fittipaldi's Road America skin that I'm trying to add.[​IMG]

ChiefWiggum likes this.
  16. jymp

jymp Registered

Oh yeah, cars are faster now

17. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

I downloaded the mod from Steam today. Great work!
    Did a few laps in Mills Metropark.
    However, I had a couple of times the problem that the engine has passed. Have not found a setting to prevent this. Maybe someone has a tip. Could not claim now to have driven the engine over the maximum speed range.

18. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

you must be careful about the Revs, the first Rev Light is ok, it is not good when the second Rev light is on, this will cost Engine Life

19. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Thank you. In the HUD, everything was still in the green. Then those short moments in the second red light are a lot. Although according to HUD what the maximum speed range is concerned, everything is fine.

20. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Round Road America. Superb, fast becoming one of my favourite open wheeler's. Thank you very much.
    GRAB_2867.JPG GRAB_2862.JPG GRAB_2847.JPG GRAB_2853.JPG GRAB_2858.JPG

pascom, davehenrie, jymp and 3 others like this.