[WIP] F1 1986

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Dec 5, 2017.

1. alainprostate

alainprostate Registered

Last time I asked I got laughed at but here goes - seriously, would you shake hands with any AC modders to do a conversion of this? The '86 car over there looks so silly reskinned, chaps!

2. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

new version on steam

V 0.97 LE

F1 1986 League Edition 0.97
    - New physics made by Postipate based on legendary Lotus 98T.
    - All cars share same physics now.
    - Added 6 gear and 5 gear option (from Tuning menu)
    - Early and Later season Qualifying engine added (from Tuning menu)
    - AI drives better now. (No .RCD files for AI yet)
    - Fixed sounds (Turbo hiss is also lower)
    - Engine fails if downshifted too early

3. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  4. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

would be Interesting how the cars will look in AC

5. LaZanzaraRombante

LaZanzaraRombante Registered

6. Pauli Partanen

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  7. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

is it possible to buy it and give it to all as free?

8. alainprostate

alainprostate Registered

Not saying that I just bought it or anything, or that I'll PM one of you guys a link to the download - but if I did I would surely drop you a little money in your PayPal for the hard work you did on these cars.

9. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

I think in 1986 it was possible to use different tire compounds on front and rear, is this correct, and when was this banned?

10. Pauli Partanen

It was possible and also with this mod. Use the tuning menu to acticate it.

Edit! Actually it's not possible to use it in RF2. I forgot to add it to LE mod. WIll update in next version

Don't know when it was banned

Hazi likes this.
  11. Douglas Taylor

Douglas Taylor Registered

Your mod is excellent and desperately needs a proper trackpack.
    But for now I’m going to be using 1988 trackpack, and Brands Hatch and Osterreichring historical 1.0 to sub for Silverstone and Suzuka once I figure out how to ignore pit speed limits without it getting a visit from the race marshals!

I’ll be running a series live and multiplayer once testing and learning the cars is done - probably 2-4 weeks from now will be round 1.
    Of course, anyone who is interested in joining me will be able to - the server is publicly online as “Ghostdog Racing League” and free practice all week is open to all - expect the changeover to 86 mod in the coming week. There is a link to the discord and our website in the MOTD for the server for anyone wishing to enter and register a car next season. Expect races every other Sunday at 1930GMT - keep an eye on the site/discord for announcements!
    Hope to see many of you there - we have plenty of slots open as we only have about 5 entrants. Remainder of grid will be filled with AI (they perform miles better than the 88 mod AI already!) but naturally my dream is an all-human grid!

As I progress through the season, I will be happy to share updates, feedback and showcase the mod on my twitch and YouTube account. I hope you don’t mind the self-promo, but I really do feel like this mod needs an audience and it will be good to see any bugs coming up too!

Pauli Partanen and Corti like this.
  12. Pauli Partanen

Great to hear AI works well! Haven't tested on many tracks yet :) Great idea for league. Would love to join if I have time.

13. Douglas Taylor

Come along. Same for anyone else - all skill levels accepted!
    It’s been brought to my attention the discord link is broken. Fixing the web page with the right link is in hand - but my friend and site admin is enjoying personal time with his family (and rightfully so) .
    In the meantime, link for my discord is here if your having trouble with signups or want more info:
    http://ghostdogf1.gavinkelly.co.uk/
    https://discord.gg/ussTtMk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Cristiano Corraini likes this.
  14. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I had a link to a youtube video in which Gerhard Berger talked about running different tire compounds on the front and rear of his car after winning his first GP at the 1986 Mexican GP. Unfortunately, the youtube user's account that posted that video was terminated. So it was definitely allowed in 1986 but I don't know when it was no longer allowed.

BTW, I really enjoy this mod. Thanks for all your hard work. It was the first year that I started watching F1 on TV.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Corti likes this.
  15. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Here's a video in which Murray Walker talks about Ayrton Senna pressing the boost button on his steering wheel to get an extra 0.2 bar of turbo pressure:

16. bears

bears Registered

I finally got a chance to try this out it’s a great mod very challenging and very nice graphics chief you are a very talented person ;-)

17. Douglas Taylor

There’s footage of the 1988 Brazilian GP and it’s mentioned during the pre-race that Senna was using two different tyre compounds then as well. I’m not sure at which point all four tyres were forced to be one compound but it was after that season for sure!

18. Douglas Taylor

Theyd have to be careful with the boost settings - you still couldn’t exceed 2.5bar, so effectively this would be a momentary button to open the boost to maximum allowable.
    I can see why you’d only want that for short times - the fuel consumption at full
    Boost must be rediculous!

19. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Moreover than that, was the danger and sheer lunacy of the 1980s-90s machines.
    "In qualifying, you literally had up to 1,500 horsepower," Mansell continued. "It’s reputed that BMW had more and to have wheelspin in sixth gear down the straight, at 175 or 180mph, you cannot put that into words as a driver.
    "At every single corner you came to, the car was literally trying to kill you.
    "You know, at that time, if we were racing at the old Silverstone, for example, you’re going down Hangar Straight with qualifying boost, well in excess of 200mph," he recalled.
    "You’re turning into Stowe corner flat, without a lift, and this is on the old circuit with six-inch-wide poles and wire across them on the outside of the corner as catch-fencing, and you’re running wide and almost hitting these poles.
    https://insideracing.com/index.php/...o-back-to-frightening-cars-like-the-turbo-era

Well we have two facts: they really spin at 6th gear and you can test the downforce going flat on Stowe

Eric Rowland, DaveS78 and Bill Worrel like this.
  20. Corti

Corti Registered