Like the AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moving Violation, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Moving Violation

Moving Violation Registered

I just purchased the game during the steam sale. I've been running PC 2 and my big concern was with the AI since I only race against AI. My main reason for the purchase besides the good price was that I heard that the AI for Rf 2 was very good. Well I was not disappointed. The ai for this game is clearly superior to what I had - not perfect but very good. I don't get banged from the rear and opponents will actually back off if I own the corner. All in all I'm quite happy. Thanks for your quality sim.

coltair, Neptune Zone, JimmyT and 8 others like this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

..and they will get better. But nice first post...sometimes as an old timer in the rf2 universe (and I knows theres even "older" old timers here) you do forget these things (or lose appreciation for a better word) until someone new comes along and says "hey....
    thanks man and welcome to rf2 forums! :)

Levelup1 and FvdHeide1963 like this.
  3. gpellis87

gpellis87 Registered

Agreed. We just had a baby about 2 months ago and my ability to competitively play iRacing has basically vanished, unless I only want to play in the middle of the night and lose all hope of sleep. I've owned rf2 since way back in ISI's involvement but just never could get in to it on dx9. I continued to read great things about the new content with S397, dx11, and the AI always came up as great.

Since we had the baby, my time has been spent basically all racing AI. I've been playing this and R3E and both have really good AI that has kept me entertained. I enjoy rf2 more than R3E, but it's also a fun game with killer sounds. Both have been really fun.

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For me the AI on rF2 is very bad and buggy.

Nevertheless I did not compare with the other simulations, apparently the AI of rF2 is nevertheless better.

I strongly wait for the planned improvements.

S397 should, as I understand it, start working on it in a few weeks or months.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Racerooms ai are evil enough said.

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The AI can be inconsistent but it's still better than most

memoNo1 and DrivingFast like this.
  7. Moving Violation

Agree, but compared to PC 2 the difference is like night and day. From my searches the general consensus is that Rf 2 and Automobilista have the best ai for a racing sim. I'm new to sim racing so my experience is limited.

8. williang83

williang83 Registered

For modern games sure but when compared to GP series there is no match against it under all points of view. This is not about nostalgia, you can pretty much check and see the difference. The reason why today AI sucks is definitely not due to technical reason but rather zero investment on it.

DustySticks and RoboCAT10 like this.
  9. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I'm pretty sure you're right with this point.

But still, rFactor2's AI is the best of all (modern) AIs

10. Moving Violation

That's interesting. I was assuming that the reasons for poor AI was technical. Perhaps not. I don't understand why there would not be more focus on it. I'm guessing lot's of people race against AI. Maybe the developers tend to focus on the more glitzy flashy stuff which is ok but that's like focusing on chrome and ignoring the engine.

11. williang83

williang83 Registered

It is a mix of difficulty and time need to put it down properly. However it is mostly lack of interest because the difficulty part could be made easy by asking for consulting, obviously paid, from someone who successfully implemented good AI like Geoff Crammond to have extra inputs about where and how it can be improved. Time needed to implement it? Of course it requires time but i strongly believe that in time where AI simply sucks even a simcade with an outstanding AI can steal numbers from much more realistic games.

I really believe that in a condition where the AI is well made, most pool players will opt for SP over MP because of reasons. Unfortunately with time games made a lot of regress in terms of SP, until the point where the package is completely lacking against a game from 20 years ago. Each have some key-points but none provide a complete whole package and some features are not properly delivered, if not at all, by any product currently available in the market.

12. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that, like me, you also enjoy the AI. :)

13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Considering AI in PC2 is arguably the worst of all current sims, I'm not surprised you're having a better experience with rF2.
    If you want the best AI experience, stick to official tracks. Mod tracks are hit and miss, some are good but for others you might need to learn a trick or two.
    rF2 AI probably still one of the best but it can (and should) get better.

14. gpellis87

gpellis87 Registered

With machine learning and AI algorithms now, it's not even complicated. We're doing way more complicated things with our Azure platform - and I'm sure AWS has some excellent machine learning algorithms as well. iRacing has the potential to have the best AI of any sim ever if they do it right - because they should have millions of laps of human data to use for machine learning. My guess, however, is that they won't use it to the potential and it'll be another hap-hazard half effort.

williang83 likes this.