What's the rule on timed races

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Booth_doberman, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

Let's say you run a 20 minute race. When time expires you are midlap. Do you have to cross the start/finish line and then do one more lap? Or does your race end when you get to the start/finish line? Is it any different if you're leading when time expires? I'm not exactly sure. This is offline racing, by the way. Last night I was in P9 when time expired and when I got to the S/F line, I had another lap to go. The other night, I was P1 when I crossed the line and it ended there. Am I mistaken/confused/old/feebleminded/whatever?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly, it ends when the leader crosses the line, after the time is up. So if the leader crosses the line with 1 second left, the whole field still has to do another lap.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It's usually time+1 lap.

4. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

Coutie is right, in rF2 it is when the leader crosses the line after the time runs out.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes. Unfortunately I don't think rF2 has the option for a proper time-plus-one-lap race (time runs out, the leader finishes their current lap and does one more) which I think would be better.

Either way, as in any race everyone has to do the same number of laps as the leader, unless lapped. So with the current system you may end up doing nearly 2 laps after time runs out.

6. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Why not just add an extra option. Time as is now and Time + 1Lap?

Time + 1Lap is sometimes used in spring series.
    Time is used in endurance racing.

Ernie and williang83 like this.