CS-closed Road to Le Mans / 24 hours of Le Mans

Discussion in 'Official Competitions & Contests' started by Deleted member 24698, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bart S

Bart S Member

On top of the problems I dont think the BOP worked out too badly in the end either. I would say many where surprised.

2. Leynad

Leynad Registered

But it's not great for spectators especially without replays and pitstop-drama. And unless the problems are not solved to do 24h in a reliable way and problems increasing with race-length, it seems more reasonable to reduce the race-length anyway.

I also would not copy the concept of showing onboards just occasionally.I guess in real racing the teams don't like onboards of their cars that could show the competition driving-lines, setups on a guess-level etc. I remember during the 90's i was watching F1 because of the many onboard-action they showed on TV until they showed it only very rarely for a few seconds. Than i stopped watching F1 until today. And F1 is still the most popular racing by far, even it's just about the length of a soccer-game.

3. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Registered

I see some people jumping to conclusions "we should not do 24h races"
    It's not the first one, VEC one went without major problems and there were 4 of them at the same time

It's just that this time the server went full ḇ͕̜͓̜͇̏ͩ̏̔̎́o̸͍̣͓̙̦̼̹ͥ̌̉̆̐̚ơ̩ͦm̸̫̲̆ͬ̓̒̏ͩ
    And it highlighted how the game needs improvement in terms of stability

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Well, let me ask one thing. Are we sure this was due to the server fucking up, or due to the game making the server unstable? I'm actually curious to what exactly was the problem.

5. Pales

Pales Registered

Well, I was not surprised by this decision. Hopefully this wil serve as a wakeup call to Studio 397. The 'core' aspect of the game is in dire need of focus.

VirusGR42 likes this.
  6. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

onboars in GT racing are absolutely normal, that statement might be F1 cr** yes, but GT (tin top cars) all onboard/ cockpit cams. check almost any series, they show and present with cockpit/ onboard cams. (either some cars, a lot of cars or majority) or they have their own stream and etc. (teams). it is quiet normal nowadays.
    as far as the sim titles go, learning lines and all, why not. if someone can do that, good on him. but with that comes car setup itself (which you cannot see) and skill/ talent of driver.

let’s not start with the sugar coating.

David O'Reilly and Bart S like this.
  7. Leynad

Leynad Registered

No onboard-streams yesterday i can tell and my favorite is the 24h Nürburgring IRL, because they have to broadcast onboards because not enough cameras around the track during the night anyway. But they stopped showing even basic telemetry nowadays and without it's too much of a guess-work. Looking at the corner- and top-speeds in the past races gave me a great opportunity to compare sim vs real and this is now gone.

Let's say i see a similar reason why Raceroom is not hosting official 24h races, but 2,4h seems quite short, so i would go for 6 hours.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  8. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

I think the reason for raceroom is, they can't provide the cockpit within a team.

9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

What are you on about. That's not at all what I asked

10. Leynad

Leynad Registered

At least until the problems aren't fixed, let's go with shorter race-length (what i call the better concept anyway).
    If the race yesterday was just on a 6h schedule, we would call it today a success, even people had problems before.

11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I think it was the server, as VEC and others have not had problems of this scale.

But I was only there as a commentator, not as a driver/developer.

12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

6 hours in lemans with a resistance team is ridiculous, that you like, does not mean that most people like it. what you think is like that, does not mean that the great majority believe it

Moriz Mehl and Lukas Lichten like this.
  13. Fabrice Cornelis

Fabrice Cornelis Registered

Very sad to see what happened yesterday for the teams and organisation who prepared a lot for this race.
    But can I please take the time to say a big thank you to that organisation! I'm an iRacer and this was my first real event in rF2 and I have to say I liked every single minute of the race! The professionalism of everything was top compared to the world championships and some of the best leagues in iRacing. Keep it up and you will see me more from now on for sure!

14. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

16. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

looks good! and honestly any sort of monitor or living timing would have been great.

...come again?

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

Le Mans 24hr would not be the ultimate race without 24hrs I neglect to see your point in why it should be divide into 2 12hour slots where cars can rest. It simply would not be Le Mans 24hr but a different series that nobody would have interest in

18. Adam Karkuszewski

Adam Karkuszewski Registered

But WHY jerk off about this LE MANS... Seriously. We can make 24h event on ANY track in world. Thats the beauty of it.

24h event is an EVENT. LeMans track as itself is NOT the 'main' shit in this equasion.

24h on IMOLA. WHY NOT?

19. We and I am fully aware of those livetiming pages and VEC have been testing these time and time again - and guess what, they were not used.
    It does not matter if its this or that, during the practice session the java files that we are using for our livetiming failed.
    But that would have meant we all of a sudden had to register and install node and all sort of application ontop of installing a plugin that (in the past) has proven to be a reliable issue. And guess what i decided not to do that, i decided.
    We built something that was hosted locally which meant it was streamed to Twitch instead of giving out my local network access. So you HAD livetiming.
    And i see a lot of assumptions in this thread, its very easy to jump on that train. But i´d rather get all the facts straight, even though i have a pretty good idea.

20. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

you are absolutely right, we had live timing. after the fact and after few hours, after the chat, viewers and others were literally constantly barraging the chat about live timing and what is what.
    it is called constructive criticism what you are getting for this event, from teams, drivers and viewers. which is a great thing. there is no need to justify something which was a failure and just simply put, not well executed. as much as the complete community appreciates and is grateful for what you and your colleagues and others involved are doing, it has to be done better. simple fact. there is no way around that fact.
    there is plenty of examples of other series hosted privately, and they all have proper setups, manage to create intros, spotter guides, live timing interfaces, track maps, monitors and etc. much more for viewers, teams, drivers and whoever else might be or is wanting to watch.
    this is certainly a learning curve for all, for the developers, publishers and you with your colleagues hosting such events, be it here for rF2 officially or VEC (your own series). this goes to show and proves, lack of stability of servers?, the game? lack of broadcasting tools/ streaming tools and live timing tools properly implemented to prove that rF2 is a force to be reckoned with. but unfortunately the 24H of Le Mans this passed weekend showed, that it is nowhere near ready for such online/ broadcasted and multiplayer events/ venues. given also the driver swap is the most complicated and most cumbersome procedure. (yes you learn and get the hang of it, but it should simply not be that complicated...)
    an event starts with introductions, goes on with team infos, maybe if there is time drivers, at a minimum throw in graphical interface/ artwork -> here spotter guides. then if practice, or warm up is going on, commentators have the time here to talk about the different teams and drivers, maybe which prominent drivers, or real racers, or quickest sim racers or whatever else, enough time for it all. then qualifying happens is done, show the overview, talk about the grid, graphics or something so people know who is where, what is what and which teams are driving and are in what position. after that race starts, don't focus on one team only, in the tower show team names, show GTE's, yes even the ones in last position, go through the field with the camera, cockpit view, other views and allow viewers to enjoy and us proving to non-simracers, maybe sponsors, partners, supporters, maybe interested racers from other sims, that this we can do properly and an organized event such as this past one, should have been a shining one.
    one thing you can always do, is ask for help from the community and credit them afterwards with their work and input. (could be UI's, OBS stuff, spotter guides, whatever else) many many talented community members out there who have fantastic creations/ ideas and wonderful skills, which you, rF2 and Studio397 maybe many others should take time to investigate and take in. we all can only benefit in working together.
    (for one, i had friends, family members, sponsors and supporters as a test watch the stream and give me feedback, within 30-45mins, most feedback was they had no clue what is going on and what is what, and we felt the same way as simracers watching, drivers participating and teams, so on...)

and guess what, nobody is ungrateful for what you all do and did, but simply constructive criticism and feedback for all of you to work with.

*** no train I jumped on, simple feedback from watching the stream with so many others, and all had the same or similar feedback, some more with insight and some less with general feedback, but the consensus was the same."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.