CS-closed Road to Le Mans / 24 hours of Le Mans

Discussion in 'Official Competitions & Contests' started by Deleted member 24698, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

very disappointing to see some are more "equal than others"
    - Team Sim4Race
    - Team Simracing Holland
    not using real names? why? everyone else does and has to , but not them?

Tim Schneider and Remco Majoor like this.
  2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

where is live timing?

Dmitri likes this.
  3. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

It's so you cant see that a driver who screwed up his ( and others) prequaly race can still take part in the r ace

VirusGR42 and David Beranek like this.
  4. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

5. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

thank you rF2, Jimmi and all sponsors/ partners for this event, also big thanks for commentators (great job guys!), but will be honest here, for such an event you certainly lacked the “quality” it deserved and required:

other issues:
    - update messed up race for BMW teams, BMW was lacking 2-3seconds (race pace!) to Porsche in regular stint, Corvette at least was still able to take fight to Porsche’s. (Porsche’s 3:50’s and BMW only 3:51.xxx pushing hardest possible, squeezing out of it). update was just bad for this event for the two cars, and just wrong to do. (at least our view on it)
    - no spotterguide
    - lack of live timing
    - lack of qualification/ cars/ drivers/ teams overview
    - lack of team and drivers overview
    - no overview of lap times (not relative to leaders)
    - lack of manufacturer overview in the timing tower for GTE’s (BMW, Chevrolet and Porsche)
    - audio issues commentators (background noise, discord/ teamspeak double echo, volume, stutters, disappearing, lag...)
    - timing tower, 2x teams with names (all know who), and rest names, no team + “driver”. (was very unclear, not transparent and confusing for viewers who joined to watch)

very disappointing quality of server.
    - stutters
    - freezes
    - lags/ jumps
    - disconnection(s)
    these were 100% not client issues, not client related. (we did other endurance races without a single issue)

other suggestions:
    - before the event, ask and gather maybe streaming and broadcasting links from teams and drivers (post for rest of teams and viewers and all watching)
    - viewers had no clue what was going and what was what, who was who. team/ drivers? stints? positions and etc.
    - cameras / directing, more mix of field, introductions of teams or names, explaining, maybe some info here and there by commentators (while camera is on the right car)
    - there were so many times delays or other picture showing while commentator was speaking about something just happened before (some sort of delay)
    - more camera changes, other cars, in 24 hour race or generally few hours time, i am sure can be done to go through cars/ teams and talk about it / short intro or just show and speak and allow that X amount of time have cars in the picture
    - qualifying example here: basically only prototype’s “Team Redline” in the picture ;-) yeah, understand why but others were qualifying and on there driving as well.

have a good weekend everyone, it was great to be part of this special event and hope to meet again on the virtual track!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

from a spectator's perspective, I suddenly realized why the Rolex24hr track would be far superior, FOR THE VIEWING PUBLIC. I was at work while the race started and only was able to view some of the event during the night hours. For much of the time I was watching...I saw only headlights in the dark. I'm not dissing the Le Mans circuit, but the shear volume of light at a Rolex event at Daytona would make all the cars visible all the time. Sumptin' ta think 'bout you licensing dept. boys!!!

7. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

Good constructive feedback.

8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Yeah, we had to switch TS servers because we were getting massive packet losses, which was a shame. We would have had live timing but Java or something was playing up so we had to make do with what we had. But it's all a learning curve. Sometimes it doesn't all go to plan.

Leynad and rocafella1978 like this.
  9. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

What did I miss? Why is it over already? Watched till 1am here in Aus last night, logged on this morning saw max disco and then jumped on later and the streams gone? Or is my timing out and it ran for the full run?

10. Ernie

Ernie Registered

From a spectator-only point of view i agree with this.

However i appreciate the effort to organize such a big event. But it seems that there's a lot of work to do for the Studio397 guys to make the netcode more stable and driver swaps less problematic. Disconnects could happen, but a re-join should not be such a hassle, that teams have to abandon the race.

PS: And just to add. Make replays useable for broadcasting these endurance events.

11. Moreno Sirica

Moreno Sirica Registered

What a mess, guys seriously, you cant put all this effort when you know that something will happen for sure. I usually race all the enduro special event on iRacing and i can tell you that is almost 2 years that they have a very stable servers that allow to race 24h without any kind of issues. I was watching the race yesterday cause i'm interesting to start some enduro race also on Rf2 but honestly, the cars looks terrible on how they react over the bumps and the kerbs and with all the problems and issues that this sim still have i don't think i'm going to at least give a try cause i know that will going to be frustrating. Last thing, a race like this and no real competitor means only that this sim still have to improve a lot for catch some real good teams and brings in some good racing actions

Martin Vindis and Ho3n3r like this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

lost connection, my racing companion for more than an hour trying to return to the server but there was no way, a pity things have not gone well, but he got involved, maybe he will try to start the race from the beginning, solve and not give up ,
    thanks for the event, encourage rfactor, my simulator ...

Paul Holt likes this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Seems like the more people lost connections and then bombarded the servers in attempts to rejoin was really making the server sick. Right before the red flag there were many disconnects.

Besides those issues event seemed to be quite nice. I just thought that broadcast direction sometimes lacked 6th sense of where to look at, also instant replays would have been kool.

Ernie and juanchioooo like this.
  14. Thomas Jacobs

Thomas Jacobs Registered

Got to say, I rather enjoyed the stints I drove :D

Got the call to drive at around 4pm Friday, Hadn't driven the S397 LMP2 before then, and didn't have the track before about 6pm that night.
    This was a race I wasn't really expecting anything of, I knew how "outmatched" I was/am compared to the other competitors, the best if Sim Racing vs me, a guy who rates himself as, maybe, above average at best (nothing special, but I have some good qualities ;) ). Then we went from 19th, to 5th at the time of the red flag, admittedly not through outright pace, but just sheer luck of not getting into trouble or disconnecting up until then.

This was likely to be my final sim race as I've been thinking of hanging my gloves up for a while now, but I'll come back if the race is rescheduled for a later date, or for a one off race at the Nordschleife (I've always wanted to do a 24hr race there, but never have).

A big thank you to the team and the admins for letting me drive yesterday, and to all those I've raced with and against since 2012 :)

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I got up at 7am to do the final six hours (I did the first six as well) and saw in the broadcast team Discord that it had been red flagged as the discos had become too much. Like mantasig said, the people trying to rejoin (and it only happened on rejoin) were crushing the server and causing lags.

It happened in VEC, but you lost a tenth, if that. This was freezing for seconds at a time and a car rolled at Arnage on the second lap or something.

16. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Man that's a real shame, hopefully the team can figure out the issues whether net code or infrastructure related.

Bart S likes this.
  17. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Registered

I won't say much as i think the problem was pretty obivous
    It's really sad to see efforts from both teams and organization crumble like that. I hope everything can be fixed and that the game goes towards a more stable version. I love that game and it hurts to see things like that

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Please let's prioritize fixing the games core problems ASAP, endurance events are where rFactor should shine. All the recent endurance events I entered have pretty much all been similar on lag / stutter and disconnects but this race was the worst.
    Its understandable that new content brings rfactor alot of attention and more players but I believe we the community as a collective feel we are happy with what we got now possibly even moreso after release of Nurburgring but now we would like you to focus on more important areas to our game.
    The current player community wants and needs a solid reliable endurance base model more than anything. There is a bug list that has existed and been neglected of attention for along time.
    The relief and celebration in the community will scream promotion of the game far louder when these game breaking issues are resolved.

19. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Some guy in the chat said, this race will be 2x12h race because 24h will not happen and personally i was glad to stop watching and running some laps around Le Mans myself instead. Maybe rethink the idea of copying 24h races, not only because of the issues that needs to be resolved first and should be tested step by step, but especially in sim-racing the length is not spectators-friendly. In the real 24h you can watch most incidents on replay and get much of the drama in the pitstop-lane, which is spicing it up a lot, but certainly not enough to watch a race from start to finish. In terms of soccer it's like watching the World Championship from the round of the last 16 to the final all in a row, but in soccer they are running parallel matches before the quarters, so you can't even watch them all live without split-screen.

24h Le Mans started in 1923 to show the reliability and progress of car-manufactures and it's just not a spectators-friendly concept other than it stars and ends during the day, which is solved in sim-racing by having day & night cycles regardless of the race-length. People have duties and other time-consuming hobbies like sim-racing, so why not shorten them to a more reasonable length like the VLN and do them more often instead, so people with bad luck or other schedule get another opportunity sooner?

gabrielof likes this.
  20. Moriz Mehl

Moriz Mehl Registered

I disagree, a 24 hour race offers a unique challenge to the drivers and teams. A 12 or 6 hour race is fun but can not get close to a 24h race in terms of fascination imo.

Dookie, VirusGR42, Ho3n3r and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.