Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

2. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

I have had some freezes in recent days. I find it strange that if I repeat the same combo (Tatuus in Spa) it always occurs exactly in the same place on the track. If I change the track or the car, everything is fine. The only active plugin is Steam. I do not use any add-ons.

Freezing occurs at 00:30.

My system:

i7 6700K
    GTX 1080
    16 gb ram
    SSD
    Odyssey Plus
    TS-PC

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vKMCpC5spYilTfRu7rhk58StNyhFs3OJ/view?usp=sharing

3. stonec

stonec Registered

@Bernardo This is a track issue of this "cheap" conversion of Spa. I noticed this a couple of years ago and tried to figure out what's wrong. I think it's something in the mesh that is wrongly mapped and causes a spike in the physics every time cars pass that place before Eau Rouge.

Alexandr Meshkov likes this.
  4. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

Thanks for the info. I wonder why freezes occur only with the Tatuus? I have tried that track with many other cars, without problems.

5. Nikodem Wisniewski

Nikodem Wisniewski Registered

So basically I did everything what I found here, but still I've got some freezes. It doesn't matter if it's online or offline. My green and purple bar looks all the time like that. Anyway - this purple bar during the freeze is maxed out (but I don't know how it's possible from only ~15% to max in one second :/)

[​IMG]

6. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Your green bar (GPU) is quite low, which is not common, i'd try to increase the graphics settings in order to make the gpu a bottleneck.

7. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

My green bar looked like this from the first time I used rF2. I've always had issues with micro stutters, even when no visible frame drop from 60fps (vsync, single 27" monitor)

A few weeks ago I noticed that when I'd load up the GPU like the poster above advised, it did help. Once a server was loaded with people and we were racing, all smooth as butter. Alone and on a track that isn't resource heavy, I'd again get the issue.

I finally broke down and tried Rivatuner (to lock at 60) because the other night I noticed that I was getting a very small framedrop (59.9fps) then it would jump to 61, then back to 60. I realized this coincided with the microstutters.
    I got rid of my in game (plr.json) frame limit and allowed Rivatuner to do that work.

Instant, HUGE difference! Green bar now full, but no little spikes in it at all. CPU usage decreased.
    Framerate stays a cozy 60fps and not a single micro stutter in sight, even at tracks and with cars that I used to have a ton of trouble with.

This is not the "logging out of realtime physics" issue that this thread focuses on....but, if one is having this microstutter issue I'd highly recommend giving Rivatuner a shot.

Also, credit to the author of this thread for pointing this out.....it'd been on my radar for some time, just hadn't had the motivation to move forward with testing it. Now, wishing I'd done so long ago. The countless hours wasted trying to solve an issue that was so easily remedied...

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  8. felippe kiss

felippe kiss Registered

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Your green bar looks like that because you use some form of sync, which limits the frame rate and makes the GPU idle, at least that's my guess. It's not really an issue as such, but I would probably turn off all forms of syncs just in case it contributes to the problem.

Regarding the purple bar spiking, it means something is suddenly making the physics thread maxed out and there is no free CPU capacity is left. My guesses here would be a) any plugins interfering b) other software using CPU in background or c) CPU throttling down and not able to stay on targeted frequency.

10. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

@s397 To get people away from using custom HUDs that may be causing trouble you should try to make the official one more useful.
    Missing a shift light and a remaining lap calculation based on remaining fuel and last lap consumption.
    My small monitor means I have to use a seat position close to the windscreen so I cannot see any of the car instruments and rely solely on the HUD for this sort of information.
    Now I will be using your HUD for the LeMans race this weekend but I'd rather not have to change gears by ear you know, in the case of the P2 it makes a significant difference if you shift only a tad too early or a tad too late.

Paolo Pennimpede likes this.
  11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Green bar must be full in no matter if vsync is used or how high FPS is.
    Pic is from old pc i7 3770k, GTX 780Ti with all game settings maximized, vsync on and as you can see green bar is full and FPS is only 11.
    If green bar is not full it is user issue like GFX driver is not workin proper etc.
    Greenbar.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A post further up stated the micro stutters were evident when his fps changed from 59.8 to 60.1. I have fps ranges that jump a dozen or more points and see no stuttering.(no sync) Am I just not attuned to what a micro stutter is?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Player.json fps limit will reduce gpu usage.

Ari Antero likes this.
  14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes I forgot to mention that green bar is not full if Player.json fps limit is used, sorry :oops:

15. Daniele Vidimari

Mm i use it and my green bar is always full.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Player.json fps limit 144 fps
    greenb.jpg

17. Daniele Vidimari

I'm on 60hz so this can be the difference
    Cattura.PNG

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@krusti We are a bit off topic but if you see pic in my post #276 you can see at the right side of the pic that my GPU load is 50% and green bar is not full but when GPU load is 100% it is full when Player.json fps limit 144 fps or Player.json fps limit 60 fps is used.
    I have 3 PC`s with rF2 and they all are working similar.

19. Daniele Vidimari

Yeah we are a bit off topic :p Anyway i'll check my GPU load the next time i open rF2 but i'm fairly sure it wasn't on 100% as i was alone on track. I have a i7 6700k, GTX 970 and i also use vsync together with the fps limit with a single full-hd monitor at 60hz, at this point i think there are some settings that changes the behaviour of that bar because i never seen it half full in my system, same on the system of one of my mates that has similar specs and settings.

EDIT
    Just loaded the same combo of the pic i posted yesterday (with of course same settings) and my GPU load is 35%, green bar is full.

EDIT2
    Same settings but vsync OFF
    Cattura.PNG

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Ari Antero likes this.
  20. joaopitaes

joaopitaes Registered

I would have a tone of freezes to show you guys from the s397 24h of Le Mans but unfortunately i had a disconnection mid race so neither replay nor realtime loggin was created!