DX9 still available?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by jbfan, Jun 26, 2019.

1. jbfan

jbfan Registered

Hey guys,
    I don't have a great PC and I don't have the budget for an upgrade, so I was curious if I could still revert back to the DX9 version of RF2 in hopes of it running smoother? I only race offline against A.I. so graphic updates aren't really relevant to me. I just want to be able to run about 20 A.I. with good/smooth graphics (don't we all?) on my current PC specs. Right now, with medium/high graphics, I get stuttering at some tracks.
    My current PC specs:
    AMD X4 860 Quad Core 3.70
    Windows 10 - 64 bit
    8 Gigs RAM
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Anyone else running a similar system with good results? Please share.
    I'm fairly new to RF2 and I understand that it is not very well optimized, so there may be some tweaks I'm not aware of.
    Thanks

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes you can go back via the beta launcher in Steam. But using an older version will mean you cannot use any of the newer S397 content. Almost every car release after the Nissan GT500 has included new features. So only the original ISI content and mods that haven't been updated will work.

3. jbfan

jbfan Registered

Ah, good point. I didn't think of that. Well, hopefully someone has a system similar to mine and can recommend preferred settings.
    Thank You

4. stonec

stonec Registered

I'd start with the "low end settings" here and turn rain drops off completely, that's more or less how I run with with my 1050 Ti. Also remember to turn post processing to off or low from launcher video configuration. Use AA at level 2-3.

If it still stutters your other option is to overclock the CPU, which is rather weak. This you should probably only do if you have a good heatsink and can follow the temperatures, but it seems those old AMD CPUs can overclock to around 4.5 GHz.

5. jbfan

jbfan Registered

Great Information! Thank You!
    Quick question....do you use any settings outside the game like Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel?

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Nope, I think those Nvidia settings provide marginal improvement/difference at most. More important is to run somewhat up-to-date drivers.

7. jbfan

jbfan Registered

Awesome. Thanks so much. Very helpful.
    I'll play around with some settings later today.