[REL] 1954 Endurance Sports Cars (modded Cobra) [v1300 2022-08-04]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by woochoo, Jul 28, 2017.

1. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Fantastic work,woochoo and Mantas! Anyone able to host this online?

woochoo likes this.
  2. Legend

Legend Registered

woochoo likes this.
  3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

It's Le Mans day!
    A reminder that this v1218 update is available now.
    post #80 with the details and download
    You can drive the cars at other tracks, of course.
    I went on a big ol' screenshotting session, or virtual photography expedition if you like.
    I've picked out a few, but i've also included links to the albums if you've got a cup of coffee ready
    Multi-album of Brianza, Silverstone, Belgium, Le Grand Circuit
    Single album of Monte-Carlo
    A small album of the American-liveried cars at Sebring
    :)

2019-06-15_11h03_07.jpg
    2019-06-15_11h31_19.jpg
    2019-06-15_11h46_04.jpg
    2019-06-15_11h56_34.jpg
    2019-06-15_12h40_24.jpg
    2019-06-15_13h44_42.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The best screenshots are in the albums, some are absolutely outstanding, nicely taken, and game with cars and track looks great.

pkelly, Levelup1, Mauro and 3 others like this.
  5. oldman

oldman Registered

Thank you woochoo and team. Absolutely awesome. Really thinking outside of the box.

pkelly, Mauro and woochoo like this.
  6. pascom

pascom Registered

Incredible images!

woochoo likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

People, make sure you race with AI. I think we managed to get it quite well, you'll tell.

Of course you'll have lots of fun with racing multiclass, especially in le mans/le grand circuit, despite few little rF2 multiclass AI issues. You can have lots of nice racing with single class grids. Just from the memory I had brilliant AI races with American team (cobra shelton) Aston in Atlanta Motorsports Park, Cuningham beasts at the Longford (take care of those drum brakes fade, it is significant and you must take it in account), Porsches 1.5l racing at Guapore or Montecarlo, Bristol at Sebring, American team Ferrari and Dtype in Oulton Park, V12 #7 Aston at Riverside, Ferraris at Bridgehampton and basically all cars there.... and more.... and more...

I hope you'll enjoy. The cars has correct pace to the period, grip is there, but sliding grip is not very high. Many cars has quite significant rearwards aero lift, so keep it in mind flooring the cars at high speed turns, usually little lift off or steering correction is enough.

8. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Firstly, massive thanks to @woochoo and @mantasisg for these cars. We tried them last night on a server at Longford and in VR the immersion is absolutely incredible! We had so much fun that we've put up a public server at Longford and are exploring options to run some fun races, potentially a league if there is enough interest.

Look for 'Exiled Historics' in matchmaker. We'll leave the server open for now, but likely put a password on before any planned race.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    lbird, jimagn, Legend and 12 others like this.
  9. pascom

pascom Registered

OMG! :rolleyes:

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Very nice! I'll check the possibilities to participate. The cars are very picturesque and lovely screenshots.Longford is ultimate brakes fade track, take care.

11. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Brake at 400m, use gears for engine braking, pray to whichever god you believe in, put up a sail, throw out an anchor...

...still end up cart-wheeling through some hay bails and end up in the river! :D

12. pascom

pascom Registered

:D

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Sounds about right for when your brakes go over 700C. I don't remember exactly, but I think I have made it so that you have half of braking power when brakes reach 1000C, 300-500 is optimum window, if I remember correctly

Just searched for old Longford videos, oldest I found was 1958, where they presented that track has been improved. There is nice video from 1964. A bit too new :D but you see people haveing troubles while braking, red jaguar crashed into a trees after wheels lockup when braking..

By the way, interesting thing with brakes fade. It is possible to get into situation when front brakes fade significantly, but rear brakes are still at or near optimum window. In this case brakes blance change obviously, and you can lock rear wheels if you brake hard. In this case you not only loose braking power due to fade, but you might not even be able to push the brakes to the macimum due to rear wheels locking. It might happen sometimes. :D

Disc brakes (that few cars have) aren't very much stronger, but because they have much better cooling, they don't really ever have temperatures issues.

In fact in some cases drum brakes can perform better if it is in the good temperature range, and if braking is not too long, so it does not overheat. While disc brakes could have possibly got too cool and you may have to brake for some time to put them up to temperature.

I have read about modern ceramic brakes, that they have bad fade whe nthey are cold and they need high temperature to operate optimaly, drum brakes inverted ? :D

One more interesting thing about braking. I actually don't remember if I have already spoke about these things, might be 5th time lol, nevermind... You sometimes may forget trailbraking with them (partialy or even completely), when fade hits it does trail braking for you at some level :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    jimagn, Legend, woochoo and 2 others like this.
  14. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks :) It would be fantastic to see some races with these, and a league would be outstanding :D

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

here are the new icons for the cars in the form of a thumbnail sheet that you won't be able to read clearly :D
    1954IconsSheet.jpg

Corti, lbird, pkelly and 10 others like this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats neat :) And easy to tell which car is which now :)

Meanwhile I entered Exile Historics servers for a ride a bit when it ran Longford, and yesterday at Silverstone with historics chicane, nice layout. Had a good fun at Longford with Ferrari. But Silverstone with Dtype was quite awful, I understood that grip was green, but it doesn't matter the car still should have felt good. Now it is not the first time, when sometimes in rF2 when I enter online servers something about car handling feels different, worse. So I checked the car today in single player, and it felt good now, as I remember that I made it to be, challenging, and poorish handling still just as it has to be, but it is managable and not too hard to handle it in desired way without too many issues and mistakes, and if you get good with it you can actually get to feel quite natural with it. Had a lot of fun with Dtype today in Silversone classic layout.

Has anyone ever experienced car feeling much worse in online than in singleplayer ? In some occasions I have experienced car handling as if like FFB or physics performance wasn't as detailed or progressive, making it difficult to play with car handling.

17. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Yes, it is.

You can change the brake wear on all four corners, using "BrakeWearRate=1xxxx". Or/and you can the heat in the brakes "BrakeHeating=6.xxe", or the cooling "BrakeCooling=(0.017,3.1e-4)" and if you have a duct setup then you change the duct cooling effect "BrakeDuctCooling=1.xxe"

mantasisg likes this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I remember I have modified a lot of those values, but didn't modify wear, if I remember correctly.

Rear brakes cool much slower, than fronts, but they also heat up much less.

edit: no I think I did not touch heating, just cooling

edit: yes just BrakeCooling and BrakeResponseCurve

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  19. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro Registered

thanks everyone for this mod, it is a truly gem and love it :)

woochoo and Mauro like this.
  20. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Here is some good chatter about the D-Type, although I'd guess most of it relates to the long nose after '54
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/june-2004/50/d-type-cast
    [​IMG]

And at this time of year, that is to say N24 time of year, here is a pic which i think is from the '56 1000km
    A couple or few D-Types entered.
    https://www.racingsportscars.com/entry/Nurburgring-1956-05-27.html
    [​IMG]